This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Look, I can see both sides of this debate. But there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to the question. He got a substantial signing bonus and the guarantee of a free education down the road, which as Jon pointed out, is worth a lot more than what he could have gotten just attending LU on a baseball partial. Had the signing bonus been mid five-figures, I would have said go to school. But there are so many variables in play. For one, if you go to school, you have to stay three years. A lot can happen in those three years. Injuries. Poor performance. Look at Ashton Perritt, who apparently turned down a six-figure bonus, returned and dropped seven rounds in the draft because he wasn't the same pitcher as he was as a junior. The money, right now, is a sure thing. I can't blame the kid one bit for taking it and starting his pro career. There are only so many bullets in a power-pitching arm, and he's already dealt with some shoulder discomfort this year.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
If the shoulder is a concern,
They can send him to extended spring training and he can be evaluated and they can put him on a throwing program and he gets some work in and they can get him a few late season appearances in rookie or single A ball if he responds well...if not he can get it worked on some more and he can prepare for his first spring training in 2016

That said, it no doubt was a concern to some front office personnel, hence his drop. Lang could elaborate on it, but the concern probably stems from the level of damage there could be in there
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Good organization to play for. I think he has a future as a reliever/spot starter for them. looking forward to tracking his progress, along with Perritt, Close and Lyons
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Good organization to play for...
What makes it so?

What makes a bad organization?

And how do you know?

I'm honestly asking.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The way I see it, a good organization is one that develops talent at all levels from rookie all the way to AAA, preparing them to be able to step in and contribute by the time they make it to "the show", should they make it there. While they haven't had the postseason success that seems to be the benchmark in the minds of many fans when it comes to their teams, Milwaukee, from what I could find out, has done a good job at that. the ones who don't get to "the show" in Bernie the Brewer land, become valuable assets that can be traded, thus still benefiting the ballclub.

That's just my perspective though...others no doubt will have a different definition, and view them accordingly.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There is probably one member of this board who is actually qualified to comment on how good a pro baseball organization is. Here´s a clue.............. it´s not BJ.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I recall back in 2005, the Brewers drafted a "local" pitcher, from same HS as Clowers. He was having success in minors, then Brewers traded him to Padres, as part of a trade to get a relief pitcher. This relief pitcher was not the "help" Brewers had hoped. The Padres kept the pitcher in minors for years, even though he dominated at every level.
Last week I was happy to see Bud Black get fired.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Never said I was olldflame...remember, I'm just a know nothing according to shorty. just offering my opinion
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Never said I was olldflame...remember, I'm just a know nothing according to shorty. just offering my opinion
You never said you were (qualified to comment). Yet :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: you did. :roll:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well yeah...I was offering my opinion on what makes a good organization. offering opinions isnt a bad thing. something i realize now given my propensity to decry that in others in comments past.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Mckenna signed as well. There goes 2 key cogs to our recruiting class.
Had to figure it was coming but you can always hope. Next year could be a serious rebuilding year.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Pulling a necro bump because I was looking through MiLB.com and Nathan Trevillian ended up on the 60 day DL and is back on the GCL Pirates roster for 2017...Im guessing after an arm issue last year.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]