This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
huntandfish wrote:Not sure I can agree with that. In any situation it's one game at a time can't be looking down the road. Maybe that's the issue we are looking to far down the road. Worried about RPI, at large etc... When you take it one at a time and you are in. RU 2015 is a great example.
Lyons gave up 5 earned runs in 6 2/3 innings to HP the week before. Pennington gave up 5 runs in 6 1/3 innings last night. As SJ indicated, I think the reasoning was sound. Just didn't work out. Not sure that the results would have been different with Lyons pitching last night the way HP is playing.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
AP ties it with a solo HR.
Flames strike out to end the inning with runners on 2nd & 3rd. Also had a runner picked off which would have been go ahead run.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Maybe worst loss in history of program. Three runs against Longwood is beyond pitiful. Need to find some hitters in off season.
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
Just like I said; this team is not that talented. Lose two games to lower seeded teams with your starters and your best pitcher. The coaches get to much credit for the wins and never enough credit for the losses. Get rid of Toman or just keep on being average or below....he's a joke. Y'all have a good off season. I will be watching the ACC tournment now, the real baseball conference. :lol:
By LUDad
Trottalot wrote:Just like I said; this team is not that talented. Lose two games to lower seeded teams with your starters and your best pitcher. The coaches get to much credit for the wins and never enough credit for the losses. Get rid of Toman or just keep on being average or below....he's a joke. Y'all have a good off season. I will be watching the ACC tournment now, the real baseball conference. :I chortle audibly.:
Hey Trottalot, you never answered my question...
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
Trottalot wrote:Just like I said; this team is not that talented. Lose two games to lower seeded teams with your starters and your best pitcher. The coaches get to much credit for the wins and never enough credit for the losses. Get rid of Toman or just keep on being average or below....he's a joke. Y'all have a good off season. I will be watching the ACC tournment now, the real baseball conference. :I chortle audibly.:
Hey Trottalot, you never answered my question...

Well LUDad; it's not really important what college team I pull for on this board. I have nothing against Liberty Flames except that they keep Toman around. Let's just say I have a real dislike/distaste for him. But yes it is one of the best programs in the country. 8) :lol:
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Scary thought what if close and perritt didnt come back. We would have been lucky to win 20 games this year. :oops:
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
:nod
jinxy wrote:Scary thought what if close and perritt didnt come back. We would have been lucky to win 20 games this year. :oops:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Frankly i hated to see us finish the way we did. as much progress as we made the last couple years, this year was a definite step back at the finish. personally I would hate to see Toman go (although at least one person who I have on ignore would probably mark the occasion with celebratory gunfire), but I would not be shocked if he left, most likely by taking another job.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Frankly i hated to see us finish the way we did. as much progress as we made the last couple years, this year was a definite step back at the finish. personally I would hate to see Toman go (although at least one person who I have on ignore would probably mark the occasion with celebratory gunfire), but I would not be shocked if he left, most likely by taking another job.
He ain't gettin fired.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I know. trott would probably prefer he be though
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:personally I would hate to see Toman go (although at least one person who I have on ignore would probably mark the occasion with celebratory gunfire), but I would not be shocked if he left, most likely by taking another job.
I see Toman going after another job and Barber not trying to keep him. A couple years ago Maryland was very interested in Toman and we ponied up with a pretty hefty raise. I think he would've made less had he actually went to Maryland.

This year, I don't see us giving him more money.

He's been here eight years. That's a pretty long run by most coaching standards. You're looking at what is likely a year or two rebuild before regionals again. There will be lower level ACC/SEC jobs and some decent C-USA/Sun Belt jobs come open. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he left for one of them.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
He can explain away this year by using the injuries reasoning. His reputation is still very high. Had we made another run, he could've been a candidate for Clemson or Tennessee (although I doubt they can Serrano). I'm not sure what all will open up, but he will likely go after a few.
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Toman will be leaving. This year is the perfect storm for ol storm. He is 50 plus and wants to take a team to the CWS as the head man. Many times he and his staff have said the new on campus housing situation will hurt them going after JUCO kids that do not what the rules. With that in play look for him to head out. HOWEVER, the biggest thing in play for the Toman lovers is his kids love LCA and his daughter will be a Sr next yr. I just don't see him staying. I also know the admin is tied of the " I've been contacted by ..." phone call every year. Will be interesting. To see and then we get into who will be the next LU coach WOW that will bring out the alum's. I know a number of my former teammates feel a little pushed out of the picture by Toman. I believe that is just ol storm nothing personal. The biggest issue I heard was they sign better players now and that was a dumb thing to say to a guy that played with two guys that made it to the big leagues. But again that's just ol storm. A scout buddy told me he was wanting to get away from that name. Why?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
There comes a point in any job where you feel done with it. Every job that looks great has its issues and downsides. Toman probably wonders what he could build without Liberty's restrictions. Look at the talent he's brought in with the Liberty Way. Imagine what he could do at a school with a reputation and no behavioral restrictions.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't think behavioral restrictions matter very much when it comes to baseball. Most baseball players are well behaved to begin with. I never hear of a college baseball player getting in trouble. Now granted, some probably have, but I not know of it.
It's a different story with football and basketball.

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]