This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Radford!

Both Radford and Coastal have their first 6 or 7 pitchers back next year, except for Austin Kerr (senior) for CCU. Of course some of the Radford juniors could get drafter (Boyle, Nelson, Meisinger). Coastal, barring some of the jumiors getting drafted will have their entire starting lineup and top reserves back.
We will have a lot of holes to plug.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Yes, it is going to be doubly tough since our HC knows nothing about hitting, doesn't do anything but yell at the pitchers, uses their arms up and doesn't develop any players. I am never ceased to be amazed at the beyond absurd comments made in the baseball section of this board. smh.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Yes, it is going to be doubly tough since our HC knows nothing about hitting, doesn't do anything but yell at the pitchers, uses their arms up and doesn't develop any players. I am never ceased to be amazed at the beyond absurd comments made in the baseball section of this board. smh.
I echo your sarcastic rebuke in general, but have to admit I question how Toman worked his top 3 starters. Lyons was great all year til he was left in to throw 143 pitches against Coastal. He wasn't the same after that. We won the battle and lost the war.
By LUDad
olldflame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Yes, it is going to be doubly tough since our HC knows nothing about hitting, doesn't do anything but yell at the pitchers, uses their arms up and doesn't develop any players. I am never ceased to be amazed at the beyond absurd comments made in the baseball section of this board. smh.
I echo your sarcastic rebuke in general, but have to admit I question how Toman worked his top 3 starters. Lyons was great all year til he was left in to throw 143 pitches against Coastal. He wasn't the same after that. We won the battle and lost the war.
I suspect Toman believed our best chances to make the regionals were as an at large bid. Without Herndon & Beam available we just did not have the guns to win the BST.We had already lost too many games by going to the bull pen. We had to take that CCU game if we were to have a chance. I would have liked our chances against CCU the following day if the rain had not interfered with Cole's grip on the ball in the 6th. Toman tried to buy time/ get the game halted.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Everything Toman does is through the lens of an at large bid. He cares nothing about conference titles other than know you have to do well in conference to get the at large. If you remember in 2014, we got that win over Clemson to pretty much secure the at large and then went into coast mode the rest of the regular season. The at large is everything in Toman Ball.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
That wasn't a criticism. It was an acknowledgement of how he does things. He was trained in the SEC and ACC where getting the auto-bid was next to impossible. This is what he knows and how he operates. There's no refuting that.
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Yeah, we're not in a weak mid-major league. That's crap. We're 10th in the country in conference RPI ahead of the A-Sun, Sun Belt, Mountain West, CAA, Southern, and West Coast.

Like I said the Big South is a weak conference. Your two top teams get drilled by lower seeded teams in the first round of the regionals. This is not mid-week matchups; it their best against your best. I'm sorry, but the BS doesn't have the talent to compete with the big conferences.....and Liberty finished in fourth place. Take off the rose colored glasses and quit drinking the koolaid and see that Toman is not a good coach at all. Believe me, I know baseball unlike most on this crazy message board. :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Trottalot wrote:
SuperJon wrote:Yeah, we're not in a weak mid-major league. That's crap. We're 10th in the country in conference RPI ahead of the A-Sun, Sun Belt, Mountain West, CAA, Southern, and West Coast.

Like I said the Big South is a weak conference. Your two top teams get drilled by lower seeded teams in the first round of the regionals. This is not mid-week matchups; it their best against your best. I'm sorry, but the BS doesn't have the talent to compete with the big conferences.....and Liberty finished in fourth place. Take off the rose colored glasses and quit drinking the koolaid and see that Toman is not a good coach at all. Believe me, I know baseball unlike most on this crazy message board. :D
As an iU fan I prefer Crimson colored lenses
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Trottalot wrote:

Did either of these two poundings take place at the behest of a program from a conference on SuperJon's list?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Cal and Indiana, which as I noted elsewhere aren't exactly on par with the College of Our Lady of Grenada or University of the Sisters of the Poor and Blind
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Have you been to Grenada? They have a top flight Medical school and a beautiful location!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I have not...my point is, Cal and Indiana arent exactly weak and/or terrible...I mean if they had lost to Texas Southern and Lipscomb in their openers, then maybe he would have a point.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Have you been to Grenada? They have a top flight Medical school and a beautiful location!
My roommate at Marshall transferred from Grenada's med school after the military troops were brought in during the 1980s.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Have you been to Grenada? They have a top flight Medical school and a beautiful location!
My roommate at Marshall transferred from Grenada's med school after the military troops were brought in during the 1980s.
Isn't there a crummy camp by that name?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
Isn't there a crummy camp by that name?
There was a car made by Ford in the 80's with the same name pronounced differently
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
Conference Records: #BigTen 5-0, #CAA 2-0, #ACC 6-1, #SEC 5-2, #Pac12 4-2, #Big12 2-1, #AAC 2-2, #BigWest 1-1, #MVC 0-2, #BigSouth 0-2.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
My roommate in college had a Grenada
Last edited by PAmedic on May 30th, 2015, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
And to BEEJAY's point – I don't think the University of the Sisters of the Poor and Blind actually has a baseball team
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Probably not shorty...but my point is, Radford and Coastal didn't exactly lose to "easy marks". Cal is from the Pac 12 and Indiana is from the B1G. No, they aren't Top 3 in college baseball as far as conferences go, but they aren't exactly crappy either.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:My roommate in college had a Grenada
Don't confuse it with a Córdoba and its 'rich Corinthian leather'
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
Trottalot wrote:Conference Records: #BigTen 5-0, #CAA 2-0, #ACC 6-1, #SEC 5-2, #Pac12 4-2, #Big12 2-1, #AAC 2-2, #BigWest 1-1, #MVC 0-2, #BigSouth 0-2.

Hey, both BS teams seeded #2 lose to #3 seeded teams yesterday; and today both #2 seeded teams beat the #4 seeded teams....Radford's first tournament win ever. Do they have anything left? 8)
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
PAmedic wrote:My roommate in college had a Grenada
Don't confuse it with a Córdoba and its 'rich Corinthian leather'
it did have steer horns bolted on the hood.

customized. must have been a Wisconsin thing
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Trottalot wrote:
Trottalot wrote:Conference Records: #BigTen 5-0, #CAA 2-0, #ACC 6-1, #SEC 5-2, #Pac12 4-2, #Big12 2-1, #AAC 2-2, #BigWest 1-1, #MVC 0-2, #BigSouth 0-2.

Hey, both BS teams seeded #2 lose to #3 seeded teams yesterday; and today both #2 seeded teams beat the #4 seeded teams....Radford's first tournament win ever. Do they have anything left? 8)
Radford got its revenge on Indiana and is now playing for the regional championship.
UTEP

Home or away?

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defea[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]