This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
And our first opponent: High Point. This tourney is simple: we win it, we're going to regionals. We lose, we're staying home and watching Radford, Coastal and/or some other team from the Big South playing.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The fact that Joe Raccuia is on the verge of taking Radford - a team in the bottom 5 of the country when he got the job - to being in the discussion to hosting a regional is insane. Hope that dude has his bags packed. He's getting a big-time job this summer.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
And congratulations to one of our "overworked" pitchers (/end sarcasm), Jared Lyons, on being named Pitcher of the Year. Here's hoping he gets picked up and gets an extra good pitching coach in rookie ball
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I assume there will video of the tourney. Hope the boys will be ready to play tonight. I did not have much hope last week but maybe Saturday helped give us some much need momentum. Even the game Saturday we tried to give away a couple of times with errors on what should have been double play balls.
By LUDad
I didn't see anything on the Liberty site about who was pitching tonight. Naturally you assume it would be Lyons. However, Radford has been shut out twice this year, once by Auburn and once by Liberty (Lyons). He would obviously be our best chance of winning against Radford. Do we roll the dice and save Lyons for a possible Radford matchup tomorrow? I know we burned Clemson a couple years ago when they saved their ace for a possible matchup against SC the next day. Yet, we really do need to keep this to 4 game to have a decent shot at winning with out current pitching staff.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:I didn't see anything on the Liberty site about who was pitching tonight. Naturally you assume it would be Lyons. However, Radford has been shut out twice this year, once by Auburn and once by Liberty (Lyons). He would obviously be our best chance of winning against Radford. Do we roll the dice and save Lyons for a possible Radford matchup tomorrow? I know we burned Clemson a couple years ago when they saved their ace for a possible matchup against SC the next day. Yet, we really do need to keep this to 4 game to have a decent shot at winning with out current pitching staff.
Nick and Alan said no decision made yet. Pennington is rested though he is normally our 4th option. Lyons seems to be the likely candidate given the critical nature of a game one but he has not fared well on short rest. I'm sure the coaches are agonizing over this. I'd say give Lyons another day's rest and pitch against Marshall, Johnsonbaugh and Hrbek (their lefties) more effectively.
By LUDad
Chippy wrote:
LUDad wrote:I didn't see anything on the Liberty site about who was pitching tonight. Naturally you assume it would be Lyons. However, Radford has been shut out twice this year, once by Auburn and once by Liberty (Lyons). He would obviously be our best chance of winning against Radford. Do we roll the dice and save Lyons for a possible Radford matchup tomorrow? I know we burned Clemson a couple years ago when they saved their ace for a possible matchup against SC the next day. Yet, we really do need to keep this to 4 game to have a decent shot at winning with out current pitching staff.
Nick and Alan said no decision made yet. Pennington is rested though he is normally our 4th option. Lyons seems to be the likely candidate given the critical nature of a game one but he has not fared well on short rest. I'm sure the coaches are agonizing over this. I'd say give Lyons another day's rest and pitch against Marshall, Johnsonbaugh and Hrbek (their lefties) more effectively.
Lyons' 3 hit, 10k performance was best effort by far that any pitcher has against Radford this year. Would really like to see him tomorrow. Really been impressed with the way Pennington has acted under pressure when he does get in a jam. I think he could do really good tonight.

**EDIT** I also like the fact that HP has not faced Penington this year.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Pennington is throwing well. Go with him and hope u can get 7 and then perritt for 2 and a w. Gotta save the pen because clowers has been looking really worn down.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Coastal and Radford going with their 4th options today. Worked well for Coastal and so far so good for Radford. Hope Pennington has as much success tonight. I wonder who HPU comes out with tonight.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Andre Scrubb.
He's very good. Hopefully we can get to him in the 4th or 5th inning. If we can avoid swinging at the out of strike zone curve ball we might get a few base runners. Unfortunately, there's a reason why we strike out @ 9X a game.
By LUDad
Just entering the stadium when Longwood tied the score. Was hoping for a 21 inning game (: Just got seated and Radford hit the homer...

** Edit** 84 chairs with backs in the stadium.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:Here we go hpu up 2 to 0
They have a good plate approach. All the RH hitters taking Pennington to the opposite field.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Is anyone getting the live feed? Looks like the BS has screwed the pooch again.
Ustream is down nationwide. It's not the Big South's fault.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
krh44 wrote:Here we go hpu up 2 to 0
They have a good plate approach. All the RH hitters taking Pennington to the opposite field.
Sounds like we have come out true to form and swinging for the fences
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:Sounds like we have come out true to form and swinging for the fences
We do what we do. It's called being aggressive in Tomanese.
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: