This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Tie game, two guys in scoring position, and we bring in the guy who has had the most problems this year. Because that sounds like a great idea.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
This team doesn't deserve an at-large. We play like a middle of the pack Big South team. Our RPI has to be overinflated!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Where you've heard scouts like our guys, I've been told just as many won't touch our guys. We can find anyone to back whatever message we're trying to get across. I've got my "sources" telling me information and you have yours. I have no problem with Jim Toman the person, I just don't think he's a good coach. He's a top 25 recruiter but not a developer of talent.
I have a very, very, very good friend who scouts for a MLB team and has for 10+ years. He talks to Toman at least a couple of times a month. He has sent us some players and will continue to do so. He is trying to hook us up with a pitcher for next year, right now. I personally heard him talking to Toman about the guy on the phone. Why would he send us a pitcher if he thinks we are going to screw him up? I don't say anything that can't be backed up, hope you don't think I am making things up, I believe you know me better than that. I suspect you might know how tight the scouting community is? We have a few MLB scouts that played at LU, or connected in some fashion as well. I am not interested in finding someone to back up my point, I am just stating facts that I know about, personally. And it is more than one scout/guy. There are many times that I wish I were wrong about things and sometimes I am for sure. Don't know your sources, I will concede that maybe they are better than people who get paid to evaluate talent, but I don't suspect they are. You don't have a problem with Toman the person? Please forgive me if I smirk just a little bit. Hard to say he isn't a good coach. Had 7 guys drafted one year, as I recall. (They must have really been good before they got to LU, since they didn't get any development while they were here). We have a record number of wins as a program in a season, won a conference regular season and tournament title, went to the playoffs as an at-large team. Kinda sounds like Turner Gill's accomplishments to me. If he isn't a good coach, hope we hire some more like him. :mrgreen:
BTW, we are going to lose tonight's game, too bad. Now we will have to win the tourney to advance.
Last edited by flameshaw on May 15th, 2015, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I wasn't saying your guys didn't exist. I was saying - as BJ alluded to - that people can see things differently. It wasn't a personal attack. Down boy.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:Why did we put Bean in there? Not looking good!
Not drinking the kool-aid and I am not saying it was a good idea, but I can see a reason why. At the time the score is 0-0. IF Bean gets us out of the jam, maybe we score, win the game and we don't have to go to Close or Perritt and have them available for tomorrow's game.
It obviously didn't work out, but he wasn't hit hard by the first two batters. A high chopper and a flare to the opposite field. I quit watching after that. :)
Baseball is a game of inches and guesses. That is why soooooo often, an inferior team beats a better team. You can go to a lot of World Series winning 60% of your games.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Lets stop the post season talk. This team just isnt very good. We will be lucky to win 1 game in the tourney.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Time to put these last 2 games behind us and at least win one tomorrow to give us some momentum going into the tournament. I think we have the talent to make a good run but a little inconsistent and underachieving this year.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Lets stop the post season talk. This team just isnt very good. We will be lucky to win 1 game in the tourney.
Stay away from any sharp objects my friend. :shock:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Lets stop the post season talk. This team just isnt very good. We will be lucky to win 1 game in the tourney.
Talent is good enough to keep us in the game against whoever we play. Just don't have enough of it this year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
On the plus side, it was dollar hot dog night, and both my burger and my nachos were piping hot! :tailgate
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
Talent is good enough to keep us in the game against whoever we play. Just don't have enough of it this year.

This team is not as good as the 2013 team that made the late season run and won the tournament and won 2 games in the regionals. Not going to happen this season. Turn out the lights....Another Toman loss and underachieving season. Y'all need another coach. :D
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:On the plus side, it was dollar hot dog night, and both my burger and my nachos were piping hot! :tailgate

Spent 45 minutes in line since only 1 concession stand was open :x

We have struck out 28 times in 2 games and appear to be eerily similar to last year's late collapse. We have been outscore 42-17 in last 6 games :shock: This year's team's pitching (especially a lack of back end relievers) and hitting (just 1 300 hitter) are middle BSC quality. The talent is just not there and the talent we have has underwhelmed
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU has always had concession problems, off and on.

This year's team simply doesn't have any good hitters other than Close and Britt. Other players will hit a home run now and then, but lineup has too many weak hitters.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Why can't LU get the concessions thing together? It's been like that for years.

As for this team they have the talent to get hot but at this point it's hard to believe they wil.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
To me, this was the most telling quote in Lang's article:
“Victor Cole was outstanding, and I didn’t put in the right guys after him,” Toman said.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:To me, this was the most telling quote in Lang's article:
“Victor Cole was outstanding, and I didn’t put in the right guys after him,” Toman said.
Hopefully Bean is just having a "sophomore slump" like Close did before having two really good years. I imagine though pitching and hitting are different in that pitching rarely slumps. Bean having control (BB, WP and HBP) problems all year and then has to groove a 91-94 mph fastball down the middle. If he can regain his frosh form, Herndon comes back and Cole continues his stellar pitching and add a couple other arms we could be good next year. A lot of ifs :?

The lack of reliable arms coming out of the pen has been our downfall. Whereas, CCU, Radford and HPU have that over us. Not to mention we are 9th out of 11 in BA in BSC.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I think with school out, concessions was working with a skeleton staff. I waited in line for a good 15 minutes Thursday to get something.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:I think with school out, concessions was working with a skeleton staff. I waited in line for a good 15 minutes Thursday to get something.
Try 45' Friday. Dollar hot dog night, fireworks and 1500 in attendance. The good news is that I made several friends while waiting in line - shared misery :D
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Ha. I'm not sure they expected that much of a crowd, even with fireworks. Goes to show the community at large supports LU baseball a little bit, even with most of the students out of town.
By LUDad
Trottalot wrote:
SuperJon wrote:

This team is not as good as the 2013 team that made the late season run and won the tournament and won 2 games in the regionals. Not going to happen this season. Turn out the lights....Another Toman loss and underachieving season. Y'all need another coach. :D
Actually I think this team hit their potential or even overachived with the loss of Herndon for the season & Bean's command issues. In hindsight we may have done better playing more small ball and scratching for every available run instead of waiting for the big hits to come that never materalized. In the tournament I would like to see them do what every it takes to get the runner on 3rd home when we have less than 2 out. Forgo the thoughts of a big inning and take what's there.

BTW, Toman's record and accomplishments for his first 7 full seasons as a head coach at Liberty is as good, if not better, than CCU's coach during his first 7 years at the helm of CCU. CCU's HC also had previous HC experience to draw from and CCU's past success to work from. In other words, BOTH men are outstanding coaches.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]