This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
It looks like Bean is stinkin it up again on the hill. 7-4 JMU in the 3rd.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Bean didn't start the game. It's not all on him.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
last check on Twitter: 9-8 JMU in the 4th. Alex Close just pounded an RBI triple
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Looks like this one will come down to the wire. 10-9 in the 6th
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Error with 2 out in the 9th, routine play. We choke up another one. smh
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Sj said it first but weve peaked under toman. That was brutal. We can all tune out now until the tourney.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
We have not peaked under Toman, that is ridiculous, especially based on one year, after the best season we have ever had. Coaches don't blow routine ground ball plays, etc. We are not doing too bad, especially with Bean performing poorly. I didn't see the whole game tonight, but I haven't seen many x&o mistakes this year and have watched most all of the games. We won't get an at large bid, but we can win the conference tournament. To win it all, you have to play against the best regardless. If we get in the tournament, we don't have the pitching dept to go very far in any case. To believe we have reached our peak as a program is just not clear thinking/reasoning.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Well 7 years in and thats as far as weve gone. Its still the most successful of the big 3. 7 years is not exactly new. Again, i like toman but i really do think its very possible that weve peaked without staff changes. Im not suggesting to do that because regionals 2 of 3 years is solid. I just keep thinking we will take off. Its scary to think what this year would have been had close and perritt not come back.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
We are what we are. When the talent performs, we win. When it doesn't, we lose.

Toman may not be the guy fielding ground balls, but he controls the feel of the team. When he is tight, we are tight. Look at how many times we've made key errors in tight spaces. It's a reflection of the manager.

We are at our best when Jim Toman the recruiter is also Jim Toman the manager. When he was loosey goosey last year we were incredible. Then something happened after Clemson and it all went down hill.

I won't say we've peaked because talent can win a lot of games. I will say this is the type of thing you can expect when Toman ball isn't clicking. We've been doing this long enough to know who we are and tonight was the ugly side of that.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
The guy who really screwed up in the 9th, was the second baseman. He didn't cover the base so the SS could go the short way for the out and then had to adjust his throw to 1st as a result. Are we going to blame the coach for creating an atmosphere that was responsible for the second baseman not covering the bag? I guess if we were actually uptight, the SS wouldn't have made a good play on the ball to start the play, he would have booted it.
"Come on man". smh.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The pitching was beyond bad last night. I believe JMU (ranked 242 in RPI), had 17 hits. They should not have had 17 hits if the game had been slow pitch softball.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:The guy who really screwed up in the 9th, was the second baseman. He didn't cover the base so the SS could go the short way for the out and then had to adjust his throw to 1st as a result. Are we going to blame the coach for creating an atmosphere that was responsible for the second baseman not covering the bag? I guess if we were actually uptight, the SS wouldn't have made a good play on the ball to start the play, he would have booted it.
"Come on man". smh.
If it were a one time occurrence I could get on board. Look at how many times we've made errors in the late innings of tight games though.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
This is definitely a bad loss, the worst so far this season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I don't want to come across as putting too much blame on one guy, but it's hard to overstate how badly Parker Bean's ineffectiveness this year has hurt us. We are a really good team when we start Lyons, Cole or Clowers. A 4th quality starter would have made this a different season.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I don't want to come across as putting too much blame on one guy, but it's hard to overstate how badly Parker Bean's ineffectiveness this year has hurt us. We are a really good team when we start Lyons, Cole or Clowers. A 4th quality starter would have made this a different season.

Last year Bean pitched well as the 3rd starter. Lambert and Herndon before the injury were lights out. That left Lyons, Fulghum, Clowers, Marsh and Perritt available weekdays. This year we lack that depth. That's not coaching, that's (a lack of ) talent, especially when Toman's only options of late is either Bean or Stafford for the weekday games. It's desperation time when you start Zack Clinton. Goes to show he has no reliable arms outside of the 3 WE starters right now. Gave up on Stafford and Caleb Evans and has a short leash on Bean.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
We've done nothing to help fix Bean at this point. How is a dude that good in summer ball and then that bad during the season? He's got mechanics issues but we haven't worked on those or changed them because he's still doing the same things. At this point he can't have any confidence in his stuff and any pitcher with no confidence is going to throw horribly.

Part of it is on the player but part is on the coaches for just rolling guys out there without doing any actual coaching to make them better.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
olldflame wrote:I don't want to come across as putting too much blame on one guy, but it's hard to overstate how badly Parker Bean's ineffectiveness this year has hurt us. We are a really good team when we start Lyons, Cole or Clowers. A 4th quality starter would have made this a different season.

Last year Bean pitched well as the 3rd starter. Lambert and Herndon before the injury were lights out. That left Lyons, Fulghum, Clowers, Marsh and Perritt available weekdays. This year we lack that depth. That's not coaching, that's (a lack of ) talent, especially when Toman's only options of late is either Bean or Stafford for the weekday games. It's desperation time when you start Zack Clinton. Goes to show he has no reliable arms outside of the 3 WE starters right now. Gave up on Stafford and Caleb Evans and has a short leash on Bean.
How does half of our pitching staff not have talent to be trusted occasionally? We don't develop guys so if they don't prove themselves early, they never get any better. They just get over recruited.
By WestPAGator
SuperJon wrote:We've done nothing to help fix Bean at this point. How is a dude that good in summer ball and then that bad during the season? He's got mechanics issues but we haven't worked on those or changed them because he's still doing the same things. At this point he can't have any confidence in his stuff and any pitcher with no confidence is going to throw horribly.

Part of it is on the player but part is on the coaches for just rolling guys out there without doing any actual coaching to make them better.
Bean didn't play summer ball last year because they felt he had enough innings during the season, so they shut him down. You are absolutely right when you say there has been no coaching and no instruction or intervention or encouragement provided. All Coach Quinn does is chew out these guys and expect them to figure it out themselves.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I was thinking of Clowers who threw the no-hitter over the summer. My bad on that.

Even so, the lack of changes in his mechanics or coaching is still an issue.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
This team resembles the flames of the old days. 3 good starters and a few streaky bats. Weve been miserable in mid week games (2 wins off the top of my head). Guys like stafford blaylock bean and evans have shown absolutely no development at all. Our hitters approaches have been terrible for 2 or 3 years now. Next years class does look deep and talented but we have to get through the draft. I said it a month ago and it remains true. If bean and yacyk played like they could we would have won 40 easy. They havent developed those other guys so theres nothing behind him when hes been this bad. I dont know if trotting parker out there right now is helping. Hes got to get his mechanics straight and he needs some confidence in the worst kind of way.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
So far, 3rd inning of 2nd game, Radford has outscored JMU 29-1 this weekend.

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]