This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Baseball is a sport where it doesn't take much to turn things around from year to year. With players pretty much guaranteed for three years, you can build a good nucleus and go from "joke" to conference contender (and possibly back to a "joke" again).
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Radford is a joke .
But how is their walkup music?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Radford is a joke .
I don't know why I keep responding to you, but you keep saying things that are even dumber than the dumb things you said before. Radford is in the 20s in the RPI. They took two from us, two from Coastal, and swept Campbell. They're currently the best team in this league.

If Radford is a joke, I'd hate to see what we are.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Radford's coach is probably in line for CotY.

I don't think its an indictment on us that we lost to a team that has turned it around this year. As I said, we are underperforming this season and they are overperforming.

Anyway, Jon isn't attacking you and I'm not either. We both just happen to disagree with your post.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Everyone has schools they not care for. Radford is one of those schools for me. If they are in first place or last place my feelings are the same .
By LUDad
Question...if a case could be made for both Radford and Liberty receving an at large bid, and assuming only one would be awarded, would the selection committee then factor finanical considerations into the equation?

Liberty was in the top 15% in the nation last year in average home attendence among D1 teams and travels very well. Attendence is up this year over last year so that % will likely improve this year. Radford averages app. 1,000 less fans than us for home games. It can also be argued that Liberty would place more sets of eyes in front of a screen to watch the games. Could finances be an X factor in selection?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If it was us vs Radford, it would be Radford this year. The only way it wouldn't be is if we take two at Coastal and beat Radford at least once in the tournament. Their resume is better.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That is a tough call. I hope we can win tournament and not have to worry. We need to beat Va and 2 of 3 from Coastal to have any chance at at large bid.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Im going with Jon's assessment. We are going to have to win the Coastal series.

Here is the standings as of right now:

1. Radford 12-3
2. Coastal Carolina 11-4
2. Liberty 11-4
4. High Point 9-6
4. Charleston Southern 9-6
6. Campbell 8-10
7. Winthrop 7-8
8. Gardner-Webb (this weekend's opponent I believe) 5-10
9. Longwood 5-10
10. Presbyterian 4-11
11. UNC Asheville 3-12

Radford would play G-W and High Point would play Charleston Southern on one side while Coastal would play Winthrop and Liberty would play Campbell on the other. The only chance we would have to beat Radford outside of both teams ending up facing each other in an elimination game would be in the championship game
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Even though RU is 19th in the RPI right now, the Highlanders have very few chances left for good RPI wins, and their non-conference resume is not good. Virginia Tech and one win against College of Charleston are the only things that stand out. After their final game against Tech today, they play JMU three times and VMI once. I don't see RU getting in as an at-large unless it wins the league at this point. They have a great chance to do so. They hold the tiebreakers against anyone who matters and finish with High Point and CSU at home and Asheville on the road. 7-2 should do the trick, because Coastal and LU still have to play each other, meaning one team will get to five losses for sure. Can't see Coastal winning out and overtaking Radford, not with two road series left and a home series with LU.

Coastal will have the best at-large resume of anyone because of quality wins, and the Chants still have five high-RPI non-conference games left: three at Florida State, one vs. CoC, one vs. UNC Wilmington.

Liberty can make an at-large argument if it wins the league and beats UVa, ECU and Maryland. Otherwise, I don't think the Flames have much of a shot outside of winning the automatic bid.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
:exactly
Chris Lang wrote:Even though RU is 19th in the RPI right now, the Highlanders have very few chances left for good RPI wins, and their non-conference resume is not good. Virginia Tech and one win against College of Charleston are the only things that stand out. After their final game against Tech today, they play JMU three times and VMI once. I don't see RU getting in as an at-large unless it wins the league at this point. They have a great chance to do so. They hold the tiebreakers against anyone who matters and finish with High Point and CSU at home and Asheville on the road. 7-2 should do the trick, because Coastal and LU still have to play each other, meaning one team will get to five losses for sure. Can't see Coastal winning out and overtaking Radford, not with two road series left and a home series with LU.

Coastal will have the best at-large resume of anyone because of quality wins, and the Chants still have five high-RPI non-conference games left: three at Florida State, one vs. CoC, one vs. UNC Wilmington.

Liberty can make an at-large argument if it wins the league and beats UVa, ECU and Maryland. Otherwise, I don't think the Flames have much of a shot outside of winning the automatic bid.

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]