This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I hope LU wins tourney and CC gets 2nd bid, if BSC has 2 teams.
Radford isn't missing the tourney.
By LUDad
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I think BSC will be a 2-Bid league come Selection Day. I hope we're 1 of the 2.
Radford and Coastal have probably already punched their tickets. Liberty's only shot is to win the tourney.
I disagree. A sweep of High Point should easily put us inside the bubble. Boyd's World RPI needs report places us inside a 32 RPI if we win out. ECU, who has been neck & neck with us for an at large but cannot get to that level even if they win out & they also have 2 loses to us. I think we still get in with series win but it would be close.

***EDIT*** Naturally this assumes no huge upset winner of the tournment.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Our only shot is winning the tournament. Our RPI is inflated because we scheduled really well. At some point you have to win the games you scheduled and we haven't. Once the committee looks into our schedule, they'll see that.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I've been on the firm "no chance" side of things for a while now, but LU at least has three top-50 non-conference wins and could get another if Virginia Tech keeps winning and moves into the Top 50, plus the single wins over Radford and Coastal, both on the road. Would have to take a much closer look at the bottom of the bubble once the regular season is over, but I'm not sure any more.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU :koolaid Flame :koolaid Train
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If we had the resume to get in, I'd be championing for it. We scheduled incredibly well this year. Credit Toman for that. He gave us the schedule to get to a regional if we won a few non-conference games. We lost most of the ones we needed to win though. If we'd won two more, we'd be almost a sure thing.

I'm not a fan of this staff by any means but I'm a Liberty fan first and foremost. Any time we can make the postseason is a great thing. We just don't have the resume for it this year. That's why I've hated how we've operated the past week. Our guys are going to be exhausted going into this weekend and even worse going into the tournament next week. Our only hope of the post season is winning next week. We should be getting ready for that. Instead, we'll pitch our starters 8-9 innings every game this weekend and have no arms by next Tuesday. I want what I think is possible for this team and we're not getting it.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think its safe to say we all want what is possible for this gang Jon. I know we don't always see eye to eye (actually I don't think we EVER see eye to eye actually) but we both want the same thing and that is to see the baseball team be successful and take that next step from being a good team to being a great team and then an elite team.

That said, and Im being somewhat sarcastic in saying this, I'm glad that the guys aren't mailing in this season because people on here say we have no shot.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That last bit was more a sarcastic note to the idea that because we lost the series to Coastal our chances of going to the Regionals probably went with it. Our goal always should be to never leave it in the hands of the committee. We got a nice win today, and now our attention should be on High Point this weekend, and then next week, we have, in my view, our only path to the show...the tournament.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The sad thing is were just a couple of wins against jmu longwood uncg etc from being a stone cold
Lock. That maryland game at home that we blew is looming large as well. I dont think were dead but sweeping hpu is not going to be easy. The other good news is that longwood is really the onlh rpi killer in the tourney so if we avoid them and make a deep run we will be in the discussion. Tourney wise id go with lyons and back him up with clowers who seems to be fatiguing. Then cole and then pennington. Clowers has looked better in relief lately. Oh parker where are you kid. We need him so bad.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:The sad thing is were just a couple of wins against jmu longwood uncg etc from being a stone cold Lock.
That's the worst part of this whole thing. Our schedule was so freaking perfect that all we had to do was win 2-3 more games and we'd be talking about possibility getting a 2-seed.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There's always hope. example: In softball, Virginia Tech had something like a 34-21 record, lost 8 of last 9 games, and got a bid.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SJ is a lot more into this stuff than I am, but I do know a couple of things, and one of them is that the RPI is and for a long time has been, a HUGE part of the selection process for at large teams. Strength of schedule is a large part of the RPI formula. The committee is certainly aware of that. I find it hard to buy that they are going to single LU out for special scrutiny and decide that our RPI is "inflated" while it is accepted for what it is for everyone else. If our RPI ends up under 40, I say we are in.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
LU was 29 going into regionals last year, got a three seed and was regarded as one of the last teams in the field, and that was with a dominating regular-season conference championship. This year, LU is going to finish in third place. That said, the league is much, much stronger this season. No one else finished inside the top 50 last year, and only four out of 12 finished in the top 100. The Big South is going to have two teams finish in at least the top 25 of RPI this year. That's why I'd like to take a much deeper look at things come Saturday, though I really think LU needs a High Point sweep and needs to get to 37 wins (two tourney wins) for this to be a serious discussion. There is some meat on the resume now that wasn't there a few weeks ago, namely the two ECU wins and the Maryland road win.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
This is where I wish I knew what the rest of the bubble was like.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Like I said, give me until Saturday. Not going to waste my time with it before the High Point series because that's critical to LU's bubble standing.
By LUDad
jinxy wrote:The sad thing is were just a couple of wins against jmu longwood uncg etc from being a stone cold
Lock. That maryland game at home that we blew is looming large as well. I dont think were dead but sweeping hpu is not going to be easy. The other good news is that longwood is really the onlh rpi killer in the tourney so if we avoid them and make a deep run we will be in the discussion. Tourney wise id go with lyons and back him up with clowers who seems to be fatiguing. Then cole and then pennington. Clowers has looked better in relief lately. Oh parker where are you kid. We need him so bad.
High Point will be tough. They should have taken the series against Radford. They gave up 4 runs in the 8th inning and lost by 1. Lost other game by 1 run. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pennington start Sunday. Seems sharper right now, at least for about 80-85 pitches.
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Bored so thought I would see what going on and people LU has no shot at an at large they have got to win the BSC tournament. Big question now is will Toman stay or will he go. There will be a number of big jobs that will open and one that may spark the whole thing is the Texas job heard rumors AG is gone just can't be 24 24 and 9-12 in the league. What do you guys think will Toman hit the road or stay. It will be hard. Not sure he really believes he can get the CWS from the hill city or is willing to wait. food for thought.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Will totally depend on the job. Has to be a P5 level job. He's not leaving for the Sun Belt or Conference USA. He gets paid more here and has more resources here than at those places.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If Mack Brown & Rick Barnes can't keep their jobs during a dip in success, I am not sure whether Augie can as well. But it will be a very short list of candidates if he is asked to step aside. I was covering the Horns in Austin when Gus was shown the door and Augie brought in.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]