This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
4 DAYS

*cue Europe*

We're leaving together,
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back,
To earth, who can tell ?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown

We're heading for Venus and still we stand tall
Cause maybe they've seen us and welcome us all
With so many light years to go and things to be found
I'm sure that we'll all miss her so.

It's the final countdown.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This was one of the jams I would play on Z100 back in the '80s. Their catalog is actually pretty strong beyond that one iconic song.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. I do love classic rock and 80's music.

Was that during your time at Liberty? Surprised they'd let you work at a secular station back then.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Can't wait. Last weekend would have been perfect weather for baseball in Lynchburg. Did I notice that some of the games are going to be on 93.3? This may be a good thing since I can not pick up 90.9 where I work. Also in the past we didn't cover all the early games on radio.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Was that during your time at Liberty? Surprised they'd let you work at a secular station back then.
I used the air name Kraig Ransom and only a handful of people knew of my work. Once it came to light when one of my co-workers was found out, Dean Emerick showed me some mercy. Back then, most of the stations in Lynchburg & Roanoke were loaded with LU students because our broadcast program was better than the other universities at the time. Z100 was the #1 non-country station in Lynchburg at the time and we had a lineup that had our middays, afternoon drive and evening jocks all active LU students.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
All Lynchburg radio stations have "fallen off" in my opinion, and none more than 88.3. ESPN radio seems to switch channels daily, and sometimes I cannot get it at all. Most all stations have a very weak signal. I guess if one lived on top of Candler's Mountain they could get a good signal, but beyond that, the wind has to be blowing just right.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone know why local stations have such weak signals ? 88.3 has good signal, but with their new format, I stopped listening to it, except in the rare occasion they have a LU game on.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I actually did pretty well getting the local stations. things may have changed since I moved back to the 757 but I didnt have any problem getting anything when I was Iin town for homecoming last year
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:93.3 has a very week signal. 5 miles outside of the city, I can't get it.
That is about a mile further past 90.9 so I should be good.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I guess the issue with 90.9's tower is never going to be resolved huh?
Sometimes I get static on there, in my dorm. I can SEE Demoss from here and I still have problems getting the signal.
By LUDad
It's really weak when Liberty's best sports program does not have, at the very least, live radio streams of the games against ranked opponents...

I just purchased a roku 3 and attached it to a gigabit ethernet connection so I could watch all the baseball games in HD on my media room TV without buffering...guess I have wait till BB season is over for that to happen...

Anyway, listed below are links to radio streams for Liberty's first three games. The Owl's game is iffy. I when to the Owl's radio chat room and inquired if they knew of a source that was broadcasting their first game and got the answer "Owl Radio does! We'' double check with the sports director". So take the first link for what's worth...

http://www.ksuradio.com/
http://www.georgiastatesports.com/liveE ... vents.dbml
http://www.wrek.org/player/?stream=128kbps
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:A radio station should have at least a 50 mile signal before being allowed to go on the air.
Really? 50 miles is a huge range. Most stations and especially small local stations (i.e., college radio stations) don't need anywhere near that strong a signal.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:It's really weak when Liberty's best sports program does not have, at the very least, live radio streams of the games against ranked opponents...

I just purchased a roku 3 and attached it to a gigabit ethernet connection so I could watch all the baseball games in HD on my media room TV without buffering...guess I have wait till BB season is over for that to happen...

Anyway, listed below are links to radio streams for Liberty's first three games. The Owl's game is iffy. I when to the Owl's radio chat room and inquired if they knew of a source that was broadcasting their first game and got the answer "Owl Radio does! We'' double check with the sports director". So take the first link for what's worth...

http://www.ksuradio.com/
http://www.georgiastatesports.com/liveE ... vents.dbml
http://www.wrek.org/player/?stream=128kbps
I'd check your facts before saying we aren't covering baseball. We're broadcasting every game this weekend with our top baseball announcer.
By LUDad
Sorry Super Jon, I did a lot of checking and still could not find where Liberty was doing a live stream of the broadcast. Could you let me know how to access that stream?

Got it. 1320AM via TuneIn Radio is streaming...the Flames website has not put a link up yet for the audio broadcast so I assumed...don't say it, I know (:
Last edited by LUDad on February 11th, 2015, 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I realize that last post came across very jerk-ish. Sorry about that.

I'm friends with Nick and he was talking the other day about how he's excited for baseball to start so that's how I knew. I didn't even look online.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:A radio station should have at least a 50 mile signal before being allowed to go on the air.
Really? 50 miles is a huge range. Most stations and especially small local stations (i.e., college radio stations) don't need anywhere near that strong a signal.
Agree with this. if 90.9 had that large a reach, it would cover Lynchburg, Roanoke, Danville, Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, Nelson and almost get you to Charlottesville. 20-25 miles should be sufficient for the target audience
By LUDad
No problem SuperJon, I deserve it (:

Not living in the area, I always have to stream. After reading the previous posts about concerns over weak over the air reception, I assumed that, for whatever reason, the game was not being streamed and was only available over the air, especially since the Flames website did not have an audio link up...

As you indicated... I should have researched it.
Election 2022 and 2024

The last 2 elections were decided by very […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]