This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Beej - you're wrong. That's not normal. Cam Maybin and Madison Bumgarner came up as 21-year-olds and were considered super young. Most guys who make it to the league, and it's not many, get there after 3-4 years at the least.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJ dropping a David Clyde reference. :shock: Yea, I'm old enough to remember when he played for the Rangers as an 18-year-old pitcher. And he got shelled: 4-8 record with a 5.01 ERA in 1973, and he retired from MLB at age 24.
:oldhag
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
Seiz a little, but he was so cold at the end of the year maybe teams backed off of him. Perritt actually not really, he doesn't mind coming back and heard he may put a pretty aggressive price out there. He may have priced himself a bit high and teams are now waiting. Baseball is such a different draft than other sports. A lot of times it's about sign ability and price tag than pure talent. Sometimes guys are signed in late rounds for top 5 round money bc teams were scared to draft them early but lose them, so they drop.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
No one in the top 10. Colin Herring drafted from CCU before any of our guys :shock: May be we overacheived with the talent we had :D
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Mike Morgan
Brian Milner
Tim Conroy
David Clyde
Catfish Hunter
Dick Calmus
Jerry Walker
Bob Miller
Von McDaniel
Bobby Henrich

(Bear in mind you did not specify that it had to be within the last 20 years proto)

While it hasn't happened in recent memory, it HAS happened. Teams are much more careful to get their players time in the farm system these days, but it is possible to go straight to the big club.
Seriously? How is this relevant to today then? Used to be normal to ride a horse to work, but I not putting a hitching post in today just in case...
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
you simply said give 10 players proto...you didnt specify time frame...anyway, I probably should not have said one year so I will simply defer the point to Jon on that one.

As to why none of our guys has been picked...im not sure on that either but its not something worth overanalyzing based upon other schools and the player(s) chosen
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ryan Seiz is taking his talents out west as he has been selected by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and Ashton Perritt has been selected by the favorite team of our resident voice of Flames baseball, the Atlanta Braves.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
I don't know much about their organizational depth but seems like these guys are going to the right places for them.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Perritt will do well in the Braves system if he signs...and he will be close to the Burg in Rookie ball
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
And Johnny Manziel goes in the 28th round. That out to show you what teams think of late rounds lol. Also, why the Padres organization is a bit of a joke right now
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Adam Parks to the Cordell Walker country (Texas Rangers) with the 996th pick. second straight (possibly third) with at least 4 draft picks
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I am surprised Lambert did not get drafted. Also thought Seiz would have gone higher. Any chance Seiz or Perritt come back?
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
Chance of Perritt coming back is higher than Seiz just based on the their tweets from this afternnon.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]