This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here is the list of draft eligible players (not assuming all of these guys will be drafted, just those that have that option) :

Cody Albright*
Alex Close*
Shawn Clowers*
Blake Fulghum
Danny Grauer (2013 draftee)
Carson Herndon*
Clay Keranen*
Nick Lacik
Trey Lambert
Jared Lyons*
Matt Marsh
Nick Paxton
Ashton Perritt*
Becker Sankey*
Ryan Seiz*
Matt Pennington*

* denotes Junior
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I think a big part of next years team is going to depend on the draft with Seiz, Perritt, and Close in particular and Bevins. If we have to replace all of most of those guys it could leave the coaching staff with a difficult challenge.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think the juniors you will see get drafted are Close, Clowers, Grauer, Herndon (although he is recovering from surgery so he would probably decline), Lyons, Perritt and Seiz. Add to that seniors Fulghum, Lambert and Marsh and this could be a banner year for the Flames in the draft
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It very well could be a banner year in draft for LU. I hope the incoming recruits and step in and contribute as freshmen.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I think the juniors you will see get drafted are Close, Clowers, Grauer, Herndon (although he is recovering from surgery so he would probably decline), Lyons, Perritt and Seiz. Add to that seniors Fulghum, Lambert and Marsh and this could be a banner year for the Flames in the draft
I'm not so sure Herndon would decline if drafted. If a team were willing to take on his rehab expenses and possibly pay for him to finish his degree, it would be tempting to take them up on it. Coming back to play another year in 2016 would give him a really late start to his pro career. Having said that, I'm not so sure he will be taken, and if he is, it will be late. As good a track record as this particular operation has, it is still a major surgery and a risk for any team that were to sign him.

Grauer is a senior BJ. As far as the other Juniors are concerned, Perrett, Seiz and Close are almost sure to be drafted. I think Lyons and Clowers are borderline. Clowers had an amazing year, but basically had done nothing previously, and at 5'10", he is not the type of physical specimen the pros are looking for. Same with Lyons, who is 5'11" and has an iffy arm.

I think Lambert and Marsh get drafted for sure. Grauer got drafted last year and put together a pretty good senior season, but he did one thing to lower his stock. He got a year older. Fulgham is borderline IMHO.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The thing in Clowers" favor is he throw left-handed. If he returned and could add a couple MPH to fastball, his stock would go up next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I agree. If Shawn is drafted low he should consider returning. Another good year could prove this one was not a fluke .
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the correction on Grauer olldflame...I think that as a lefthanded reliever, Clowers probably could use one more year, but some team with a need for lefthanded arms in their system is going to take a flyer on him, which can also be said about Lyons.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
newoldschool17 wrote:You are forgetting one that will more than likely be drafted. Adam Parks
Adam was a Sophomore this year. He may be eligible for the draft because he redshirted (I confess to not being positive on how that works) but I would be interested in knowing what you think he has done that would merit it.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
He's eligible for the draft this year. As for what he's done to merit it, I'd say the 94MPH fastball he showed at UVA is enough. An organization sees that and know he's getting that on bad mechanics and little coaching. If he can get the mechanics fixed and get coached up a little, who knows how good he could be.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think getting under a good pitching coach will definitely be the ticket Jon. I think Atlanta or Detroit would be a good fit
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Draft is under way, we shall find out soon where they land. Three Cavaliers drafted in top 40 picks. Pretty impressive
By lynchburger
Registration Days Posts
Feldkamp confirms.

Justin Feldkamp @JustinABC13
Official word from Blake Bivens family: GW-Danville product is going pro. He'll sign with @RaysBaseball. @libertyflames fans-sorry Charlie.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
MLB and (before the age limit restriction) the NBA were the only leagues of the "Big 4" where you could go straight to the pros from high school and have a chance to contribute immediately and make a pretty decent living. Good luck to him.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:MLB and (before the age limit restriction) the NBA were the only leagues of the "Big 4" where you could go straight to the pros from high school and have a chance to contribute immediately and make a pretty decent living. Good luck to him.
Define immediately? Most high school kids are in the minors at least 3-4 years.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I mean being able to come right in and play for the big club within the first year (some do end up in the Majors pretty quickly).
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I mean being able to come right in and play for the big club within the first year (some do end up in the Majors pretty quickly).
Need facts to back t his up BJ - I don't think this is right. Name me 10 that played in majors in their first year out of High School?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Mike Morgan
Brian Milner
Tim Conroy
David Clyde
Catfish Hunter
Dick Calmus
Jerry Walker
Bob Miller
Von McDaniel
Bobby Henrich

(Bear in mind you did not specify that it had to be within the last 20 years proto)

While it hasn't happened in recent memory, it HAS happened. Teams are much more careful to get their players time in the farm system these days, but it is possible to go straight to the big club.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]