This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The weekend rotation is a question I have going into fall ball. Herndon will be out for 2015 recovering from TJ AND Lambert is graduated, who takes over the Saturday and Sunday starter positions to replace those two? Does Stafford move into a weekend role or does he move to a midweek role...what about Blaylock or Evans or even Weiker who we didnt even hear from this season? Who steps up to replace those losses we do have in the arms?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:The weekend rotation is a question I have going into fall ball. Herndon will be out for 2015 recovering from TJ AND Lambert is graduated, who takes over the Saturday and Sunday starter positions to replace those two? Does Stafford move into a weekend role or does he move to a midweek role...what about Blaylock or Evans or even Weiker who we didnt even hear from this season? Who steps up to replace those losses we do have in the arms?
It's encouraging that Clowers is starting in Summer ball and showing the ability to go 7 plus innings. I would give him the inside track to be the second weekend starter along with Bean. There could be as many as 4 or 5 candidates for that last weekend slot. Don't be too quick to assume Bean will be the guy on Fridays. While it's traditional to make your ace the Friday starter statistically there isn't any overriding reason to do it. Parker has a comfort level starting on Sunday, and Toman may not want to mess with that.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That would be more than fair to keep Parker on Sunday...and im glad to hear Clowers getting extended as well to make him capable of going starter's innings as well. It's (thanks to Weird Al's "word crimes" for straightening me out in that area) going to be a question now not of when, but who will be the third starter for the weekend, whether Friday, Saturday or Sunday, if Clowers and Bean are our first two arms
By Flamepop
Registration Days Posts
I think Lyons is penciled in to be a weekend starter. He is taking the summer off so should be fresh.
By sporter
Registration Days Posts
Have to believe Bean, Clowers and Lyons go in as your weekend guys. Don't forget how dominating Jared was against very stiff midweek competition prior to his arm soreness. Stafford was also really good in scrimmages prior to his injury. Also, are we sure that Ashton stays as the closer or would they potentially maximize his pitching ability and make him a weekend starter? He could be scary good in that role if that was all he focused on for a period of time. Heard Cole the JUCO lefty has great stuff as well.

The lineup will definitely miss the pop of Seiz and Grauer but has the potential to be more consistent with more speed.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This is just my opinion, but I think Ashton is best suited for closing or maybe a setup role. In the years he has been pitching for us, he has come in for 1 maybe 2 innings of work and I think he hasnt had much experience in extended outings like would be asked of him as a starter.
By Flamepop
Registration Days Posts
I would be surprised if Clowers doesn't continue in the set up role he excelled in last year. I think replacing Marsh may be the greatest challenge this year.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]