This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Did we ever release the fall signees for baseball? I must have missed it if we did. I can tell you blake bivens of Gw danville is going to go pretty high. Hopefully he really wants to go to college because hes 92-94 with control
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Perfect game has a list of commits for us. we have 2 or 3 locals in the list...I think Josh Barrick is going with us as well as Trevillian also
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ok. for some reason I thought he was a senior...barrick is a senior though and I think he and Clinton are close friends
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Bivens is a pretty nice pick up. He is on Perfect Games MLB Draft Prospects 100-200 list.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
So bivens is gone, robert jolly is going to clemson. The only commitments i can find are catcher thomas yoder,second basemen derek perry and a juco lh reliever.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Does any Guru know LU's projected line-up for 2015 ? Including starting pitchers.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Does any Guru know LU's projected line-up for 2015 ? Including starting pitchers.
I'll take a stab at it.
LF Will Shepherd
CF Ashton Perritt
RF Nick Paxton
3B Sammy Taormina
SS Dalton Britt
2B Derek Perry
1B Andrew Yacyk
C Alex Close
P Parker Bean
P Nate Blaylock
P Jared Lyons
P Victor Cole
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I can't prognosticate the fielders but as far as pitchers go I would go with:

Weekend Rotation
Parker Bean
Jared Lyons
Caleb Evans or Victor Cole (I don't know much about Cole that is why I said either/or)

Midweek Starters
Caleb Evans (if he doesn't end up in the weekend rotation)
Matt Pennington

Relievers
Robert Gray
Shawn Clowers
Ashton Perrit (closer)
By Flamepop
Registration Days Posts
I am going with
Sankey catching
Close at first
Keranen at second
Britt at SS
Shepherd at third (out on a limb here but Will was brought in as an infielder)
Yacyk in left
Perritt in center
Paxton in right

Kernen and Britt up the middle would be an amazing defense. I do not see Close catching the whole season, and Toman likes to stick with one catcher. Shepherd could be in left with Yacyk doing DH and Allen back at third. Dylan didn't have a bad season, he just kind of hit the freshman wall late in the season but he showed he could play third at this level.

Pitching I see Lyons as the Friday starter with Bean Sat, and Cole/Pennington Sunday. Stafford could etch out a role as a weekday starter as could Evans. I see Clowers staying in the set up role and Peritt as closer. Obviously pitching will be somewhat fluid.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully we can play alex at 1b and dh yacyk. That would help keep him healthy and i think hes actually a plus defender at 1b but a weakness at catcher. Id guess taormina and perry at 3b and 2b. Jake barbee took some good swings but we didnt get to see much behind the plate. What kind of stuff does cole have? We talking low 90's as a lefty?
By sporter
Registration Days Posts
I will take a shot.

LF - Shepard
CF - Perritt
RF - Paxson
3b - Taormina
SS - Britt
2B - Keranen
1B - Close
C - Nick Walker - JUCO catcher
DH - Yacyk/Sankey
Starting Pitchers - Bean, Lyons, Clowers, Stafford
Set up and Closer - Cole and Perritt
Middlemen - Blaylock, Evans, Pennington, and a couple of others hopefully

Just googled some stats:

Cole was a closer in JUCO. Struck out 44 in 38 innings in 21 appearances. 8 saves.
Walker hit .326 with 5 home runs this past year.

Every year there are a couple of guys that no one knows about so that is probably the case this year also.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Clowers wasn't our setup man last year. That was Marsh. Clowers pitched mainly long relief, doing an amazing job righting the ship if a starter struggled. He averaged almost 3 innings an appearance and had several where he went 4 or more. Looking at how he is being used in summer ball (don't think for a second Toman doesn't have a say in that) and our needs for next year, I think he will be a weekend starter.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That's true olldflame...that would allow Cole or Evans to move into relief and the other into the midweek starter pool
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Good find sporter. Sounds like walker has plate discipline and high obp with some pop. It would be fun to watch an outfield of paxton roberts and perritt if shepherd could play 3rd. We could do a lot of running this year if some of these guys can hit enough to utilize that speed
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
New roster is up. Looks like about 4 or 5 new guys that we didnt have on the radar. Britt isnt listed but i saw him tweeting about year 3 with the flametrain so hopefully thats an error. Looks like we went back to the well for another washington state juco outfielder as well. Most everyone else is back that had any role at all.
By Kiwon
jinxy wrote:New roster is up. Looks like about 4 or 5 new guys that we didnt have on the radar. Britt isnt listed but i saw him tweeting about year 3 with the flametrain so hopefully thats an error. Looks like we went back to the well for another washington state juco outfielder as well. Most everyone else is back that had any role at all.
Have you heard any expectations that Josh Close might grow and fill out some to match older brother Alex?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Hunter Floyd is a good one. good pop in the fastball (much like his teammate Trevillian), excellent breaking ball as well. I think he could be a reliever or maybe spot starter. He certainly can go 5 or 6 innings for us in a midweek game
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kiwon wrote:
jinxy wrote:New roster is up. Looks like about 4 or 5 new guys that we didnt have on the radar. Britt isnt listed but i saw him tweeting about year 3 with the flametrain so hopefully thats an error. Looks like we went back to the well for another washington state juco outfielder as well. Most everyone else is back that had any role at all.
Have you heard any expectations that Josh Close might grow and fill out some to match older brother Alex?
Alex was 6'3' 225 when he arrived at LU as a Freshman, and is only 5-10 pounds heavier now. Looks like little brother is, well, little brother.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Honestly have heard or seen much of anything on josh. I think he was redshirted but my guess is he appears to be depth similar to the austin bream role the last couple years. If some of these juco kids perform like usual we could be even deeper this year with alex and ashton returning. Two other observations is that shepherd is listed at of/inf as flamepop suggested may be a possibility. Also cole was listed as a frosh. That cant be right if he played at juco last year
By sporter
Registration Days Posts
Cole is definitely a juco transfer. Have a hard time seeing Shepherd transition back into the infield especially after he became very solid defensively but you never know. No idea about Close's (little) ability but he tore a hip labrum last year so remains to be seen. Potential for some good position battles - really believe we will be fine there alongwith the top 4-5 pitchers. Worry is the pitching depth and we won't know that until we see if a few of the new guys and little used returnees from last year step up.
By Flamepop
Registration Days Posts
Robert Gray is not on roster. I had heard he might not return. He showed a lot of promise as a frosh but didn't get on the field much last year. I thought he had a lot of potential and I wish him well where ever he ended up.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think a lot of that is a numbers game as far as the pitching goes. With Bean really stepping up and the success of pitchers like Clowers and Perritt, plus Im guessing he didn't really impress the coaches in fall ball or this past season, with the new faces coming in, there wouldn't be a place for him and Toman and Coach Quinn made that apparent and gave him the option of going elsewhere, which from the sound of your post Flamepop, he is taking.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]