This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Dover (NH) Foster's Daily Democrat wrote:STA's Quinn, McKenna make college choices official

By John Doyle
jdoyle@fosters.com
Friday, November 21, 2014

DOVER — Perhaps no one is more anxious for winter to come and go than St. Thomas Aquinas High School seniors Ryan McKenna and Xavier Quinn.

With their college futures already secure, now the pair can focus on finishing their high-school athletic careers with little anxiety about what the near future holds.

“It's comforting to know where you're going,” said baseball player Ryan McKenna, who on Thursday committed to playing his sport of choice on partial scholarship at Liberty University (Va.). “I'm getting ready for the season coming up. Stay focused on that and try to win as much as possible.”
Click Here for Full Story
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Finally got a chance to research the signees a bit. I think this is one of the top 3 classes we've had. It's heavy on outfielders and pitchers which is somewhat surprising considering how open 2b and 3b are. Really like artis he sounds like he might be our future leadoff hitter. I think we picked up 3 or 4 starting caliber outfielders including Horton and McKenna. Lots of power arms headlined by trevillian. Very good early signing class. Once Christmas is over the countdown is on. Basketball season just makes us want to cry.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Finally got a chance to research the signees a bit. I think this is one of the top 3 classes we've had. It's heavy on outfielders and pitchers which is somewhat surprising considering how open 2b and 3b are. Really like artis he sounds like he might be our future leadoff hitter. I think we picked up 3 or 4 starting caliber outfielders including Horton and McKenna. Lots of power arms headlined by trevillian. Very good early signing class. Once Christmas is over the countdown is on. Basketball season just makes us want to cry.
There's no crying in baseball :nono
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
New England Baseball Journal wrote:The Talk of the Town
Big Fish, Small Pond, Big Decision

Ryan McKenna of Berwick, Maine is expected to be selected in the first 10 rounds of this year's MLB Draft. (Mike Gridley/Photo)

By Dan Guttenplan

This is what it’s like being the top high school baseball prospect in New England as a resident of Berwick, Maine.

Ryan McKenna, a senior at St. Thomas Aquinas in Portsmouth, N.H., agreed to do a photoshoot in early March at an indoor baseball facility, USA Training Centers in Newington, N.H., where he earned his stripes starting at age 7. On this day, three feet of snow sat on the ground outside, and about four dozen cars filled the parking lot in front of the facility. A sign directed visitors to an extra parking lot behind the complex. However, on this snowy Saturday, that extra parking lot hadn’t been plowed.
And here's why he signed with us ..,
McKenna’s family background also will play a big part in his future plans. Early in his sophomore year, he accepted a scholarship offer from the baseball coaching staff at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va. The biggest factor the McKennas considered before accepting Liberty’s offer — and later refused to decommit when ACC or SEC schools came calling — is Liberty’s commitment to “Training Champions for Christ.”

“It’s an up-and-coming program, and we’re a family of faith,” Marty McKenna said. “It’s a Christian school, and it seemed like a good fit academically.”
By Flamepop
Registration Days Posts
Eric Grabowski commits to LU
Coach Toman picked up a commitment from Eric Grabowski. Grabowski currently plays for Lackawanna College in Pennsylvania. Through 42 games this season, he is batting .448 with 31 extra base hits and has a slugging percentage of .813. Grabowski also has a 3.55 ERA in 33 innings pitched. He is expected to play 2nd base and pitch for the Flames. Grabowski was considering several other schools including Stony Brook, USC-Upstate, Campbell, and Longwood.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
How many incoming freshman can step in and start right away ?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Juco 2b above is likely. Dj artis is probably your leadoff hitter. Mckenna in the outfield for sure. Hard to say beyond that on the offensive side.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Looks we are picking up a last minute signee from just up the road ...
Newsplex.com wrote:CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA (WCAV) -- Miller School senior Jack Morris has changed his future plans, when it comes to a college baseball career.

Morris will sign on Thursday to play college baseball at Liberty University, Miller athletic director James Braxton said Wednesday. Morris had originally committed last fall to walk on with the baseball program at Virginia Tech.

Morris worked his way back from Tommy John surgery in 2013 to earn VISAA Division II state player of the year honors for the Mavericks this season. He hit .533 in 23 games for the state runners-up, with seven home runs, 34 runs scored, 32 RBI, and 24 stolen bases.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:How many incoming freshman can step in and start right away ?
The answer is 0. We don't have any more games!

I win again!
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Looks we are picking up a last minute signee from just up the road ...
Newsplex.com wrote:CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA (WCAV) -- Miller School senior Jack Morris has changed his future plans, when it comes to a college baseball career.

Morris will sign on Thursday to play college baseball at Liberty University, Miller athletic director James Braxton said Wednesday. Morris had originally committed last fall to walk on with the baseball program at Virginia Tech.

Morris worked his way back from Tommy John surgery in 2013 to earn VISAA Division II state player of the year honors for the Mavericks this season. He hit .533 in 23 games for the state runners-up, with seven home runs, 34 runs scored, 32 RBI, and 24 stolen bases.

Nice pick up and he has a good baseball name. Always good to get some local kids.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Morris looks like a good pickup. Anyone know if any of our bench players this season have the potential to step up and move into lineup next season and produce ?
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Morris looks like a good pickup. Anyone know if any of our bench players this season have the potential to step up and move into lineup next season and produce ?
I thought Barrick looked good early in the season when he got some playing time. I don't think Perry played much last year but looked good coming out of HS.

As far as incoming payers I read where the kid from Amherst has been battling a sore shoulder all year. One draft projection has McKenna as the #78 pick.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
They all have the potential to ballcoach. As to specifics, Trevillian definitely could be a starter for us as far as the pitchers go. Im really high on Barrick as well, and Id like to see how Morris does when he hits the mountain.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am worried about Trevillian's shoulder. I am also high on Barrick. I thought he was one of best high school hitters I have seen in all my years of watching HS baseball. I was surprised he did not get more at-bats this season. I believe he could hit better than some everyday players.
Barrick and Roberts both should have had more at bats. There were maybe 3 players who had a lot of ABs, who did not "hit their weight".
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Pitching help (from the N&A):
Former Brookville pitcher Evan Mitchell keeps racking up the honors. Mitchell, who threw two seasons at West Virginia’s Potomac State and will pitch at Liberty University next season as a junior, was recently named the Spalding National Junior College Athletic Association Division I Pitcher of the Year.

That honor comes on the heels of Mitchell being named a NJCAA first team All American earlier this month.

In 2015, the right-hander posted a 12-1 record and his 1.16 ERA was the third-lowest in the nation. He pitched a total of 85 innings and threw six complete games. He compiled 65 strikeouts for an average of 6.88 strikeouts per nine innings pitched. Mitchell only allowed 11 earned runs on the season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not a big surprise, but signee DJ Artis, who was drafted late, has committed to come to Liberty this fall. He should add speed both on offense and defense, and may be our starting CF.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
DJ should have signed. Hasn't he heard that we don't develop players at LU? :roll:
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
NLI
Josh Latta (Tacoma Community College, WA)

Verbals
Alex White (Seward County Community College, KS)
Jordan Scott (Western Oklahoma State College, OK)
Colby Bruce (NC)
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
@EvoshieldCanes: EvoCanes 2016 OF/RHP Brandon Tillmon has committed to @libertybaseball
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I hope several of our incoming freshmen can start and contribute immediately, both at the plate and on the mound.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, any multi-sport athlete that includes football counts against that total. He's essentially a walk-on for baseball.
Election 2022 and 2024

Oh. You were serious. I see a lot of chatter fro[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Venzant is transferring to Abilene Christian, a co[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]