This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Can someone tell me why it is so important to win the next two? Just not sure why it is so important esp this early. Sounds like folks are really into the national polls. I could have missed something I am getting old.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:Can someone tell me why it is so important to win the next two? Just not sure why it is so important esp this early. Sounds like folks are really into the national polls. I could have missed something I am getting old.
It's not a guaranteed we will win our league with Coastal, Radford, and Campbell. Gotta put ourselves in a good spot to get an at-large. The next two games are important for that.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jon's right...we need to get these high RPI games to boost our resume. CCU is gonna be hoppin mad getting knocked off the mountain and Radford is improving. Also, Campbell lost to us in the championship game and they are gonna want to get some payback as well. Get games like these and it gives us a lot more wiggle room come tournament time
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Very true. I don't like calling any team inferior, but LU needs to win out in this tournament, against these teams.

When we went up 4-1 yesterday, I thought we'd cruise to a win. We stopped hitting and pitching. But I guess that's why they play 9 innings.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Part of the problem with the errors yesterday had to have been not being outside much and not practicing on real dirt.

Quite a few changes in the lineup today. I like Grauer catching. I know we're wanting to limit his catching so that we can have him pitch, but I think we'll have to answer the question of where he's most valuable at some point this year. The other changes, if I were to guess, would be to give some guys a chance and try to find out what the best lineup is. In the past, I would've said that this is Toman being jumpy and micromanaging after a loss, but he alluded to stuff like this in the preseason so my guess is that his plan all along has been to play quite a few guys in a few different positions this weekend.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Bottom of the 8th, down 2-1. We get two on with one out. Perritt gets picked off second. Then we load the bases and strike out. We have got to start driving in runs. 15 LOB in two games so far.
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Way too much talk about rankings and beating people with the right RPI. Even commits like" got to win out" in this tournament. That is the biggest issue the guys and the whole community has lost sight of one game at a time. Heck win the BSC and you're in. Coaches can't coach pass today's game and today's game is always the most important because it's today. The guys should have had the approach of going to FL to compete and forget about winning. Winning takes care of itself when the games is played the right way. I fell bad for the guys hope they understand its a long season and Sunday is a new day and a new game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Bottom of the 8th, down 2-1. We get two on with one out. Perritt gets picked off second. Then we load the bases and strike out. We have got to start driving in runs. 15 LOB in two games so far.
Haven't we had a habit of that the last few years?
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
SuperJon wrote:Bottom of the 8th, down 2-1. We get two on with one out. Perritt gets picked off second. Then we load the bases and strike out. We have got to start driving in runs. 15 LOB in two games so far.
Haven't we had a habit of that the last few years?
It's just something that you have to live with on Coach Toman's teams. His philosophy is more cheat to fastball and pull it down the line (all or nothing), instead of a more balanced approach. That being said, this is just a something we have to endure sometimes. The lineup will go on stretches where they put up a ton of runs and get hot (end of year last year, and other games we will leave tons of guys on base and strikeout or fly out (especially against guys who can control their off speed). Not a knock on Toman, just the scouting report on the Flames.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
we really cashed in this time around which we were not doing in the first two games. Kept the errors down too

Have a big midweek game on Tuesday against another in-state team and its at home.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Cursory first look at the box and we really could have blown this one out...11 runs scored and 9 LOB. 16 hits in 38 team AB and 2 errors on the catcher (one a dropped foul ball and the other CI). 4-7 really carried the day for the offense too
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]