This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
bigsmooth wrote:and i would love to see the team have a Ed Gomes type as a director of spiritual development.
There is only one Ed Gomes, but I think this type of addition to the baseball program should be a priority. I hope this type of position is already in the works.
He should just be named Associate AD of Spiritual Development
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Future for LU baseball looks good. It was great to see Flames in NCAA tourney taking on Clemson and South Carolina, while fighting for a Regional Championship. That lays a good foundation for the future.
Program needs to reach level to where LU hosts Regionals. The host team has much better odds for advancing to Super Regionals. I'd love to see ACC and SEC teams come to Lynchburg.

Personally I do not see Toman leaving.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I really think Josh can raise his stock and go a lot higher than that a year from now if he comes back and pitches all year the way he did at the end of this season.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
i don't think he has the stuff where he can go top 8 in the draft i think if he came back and pitched solid he would still fall in the 15-25 rounds. so him already graduating, i don't blame him signing. not a huge difference.

Both Cordell and Grauer can make a difference if they came back. esp Cordell. he has the tools to go top 3 rounds in the draft. big difference in the money, he needs to just show some kind of consistency.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I didn´t realize Josh had graduated. Definately no reason to hang around. Best for him to take his shot as a pro now.
he has eligibility, but i think SJ was saying he is leaving anyway.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Richardson received a redshirt year but has probably already graduated because this was his fourth year in the program. I was talking about our high school signees. I didnt see tray toberts or bean drafted which means we will get both
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Richardson received a redshirt year but has probably already graduated because this was his fourth year in the program. I was talking about our high school signees. I didnt see tray toberts or bean drafted which means we will get both

that is what i was talking about. none of ouur high school signees were drafted.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Oh my mistake i thought you were saying they hadnt signed yet but were drafted but i didnt see any drafted. Anyway those 2 could help.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Richardson received a redshirt year but has probably already graduated because this was his fourth year in the program. I was talking about our high school signees. I didnt see tray toberts or bean drafted which means we will get both
Bean had strongly stated that he was coming to LU even if drafted, so why waste a pick on him? Not sure about Roberts, but I´m looking forward to seeing him patrol the outfield for us.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Teams do it all the time. Money talks. If you offer enough solid commits become soft commits and sometime sign and sometimes they dont. This years top pick appel was taken really early last year and didnt sign. The change in the contracts that gave teams a set amount that they must sign their entire draft class with changed some of that. Before that change small market teams often passed on elite talent due to signability issues and the large markets gobbled them up and overpaid to buy them out of commitments.
Last edited by jinxy on June 10th, 2013, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Teams do it all the time. Money talks. If you offer enough solid commits become soft commits and sometime sign and sometimes they dont. This years top pick appel was taken really early last year and didnt sign. The change in the contracts that gave teams a set amount that they must sign their emtire draft class with changed some of that. Before that change small market teams often passed on elite talent due to signability issues and the large markets gobbled them up and overpaid to buy them out of commitments.
That's one way Mike Rizzo was going about restocking the Nats farm system. Guys like AJ Cole (4th round) and Robbie Ray (12th) were taken and then paid signing bonuses that were completely out of line with their draft slot. He even did it with Matt Purke from TCU coming off an injury riddled sophomore season. The new system definitely limits that for the time being.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cordell is gone. Signed with the Rangers for 100k. If and when he even sniffs the majors the PR people are going to have a field day with the Chuck Norris connection.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]