This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

And the delayed tag for the 10th USC run is proof the guys aren't even locked in anymore. Disappointing. No excuse, but down 9 does explain it somewhat. The nonchalant way that was handled shows a lack of pride on display right now. Hard for an alum to take that.
JK37 wrote:And the delayed tag for the 10th USC run is proof the guys aren't even locked in anymore. Disappointing. No excuse, but down 9 does explain it somewhat. The nonchalant way that was handled shows a lack of pride on display right now. Hard for an alum to take that.
Well the coach admitted he threw in the towel after the 3rd so.....
Roy was arguing with Toman to stay in. Toman did not look amused. Roy looked to be throwing pretty well until he threw the first double play ball away. Then he only got one out on the next double play ball hit to him. He made some very poor decisions and then couldn't throw a strike. I can respect the kid wanting to stay in, but he had no business being disrespectful when taken out. I know I am from the old school, but that young man wouldn't want to do that again.
Hope we can bounce back tomorrow, we will need to bring our best game. It would be nice to beat Clemson again.
Schfourteenteen wrote:16-0.

Toman's interview was dejecting. The players are picking dandelions out in right.

Hopefully we'll show up when the scoreboard resets to 0-0 tomorrow.
IMO, that interview showed his thinking coming into this game. He was more worried about tomorrow's scenario then focusing on the game tonite.
Not to defend the thinking, but most coaches tend to gamble more in winner's bracket semifinals. Knowing that you aren't facing elimination, you want preserve your best arms for when it really matters. Obviously that didn't pay off in this one. But in NCAA Regionals, thinking about yesterday is pointless whether good or bad. It is all about the next one.
Sly Fox wrote:Not to defend the thinking, but most coaches tend to gamble more in winner's bracket semifinals. Knowing that you aren't facing elimination, you want preserve your best arms for when it really matters. Obviously that didn't pay off in this one. But in NCAA Regionals, thinking about yesterday is pointless whether good or bad. It is all about the next one.
Yes but thinking about TODAY is usually a whole lot more beneficial then what MIGHT happen tomorrow
i said it yesterday, it wasn't hindsight at all. Look back through the threads. Lambert has been the most consistent starter we've had all year. Now, since Richardson has been starting he has been the best starter we've had. Lambert has been Mr. Steady all year though. Brooks started the year strong then had a lot of 5-6 inning ballgames where he really struggled. I firmly believe Lambert is a much better matchup for a powerful SEC club than the soft tossing Roy. Toman waived the white flag once he took Lyons out. Still we shouldn't get hammered like that with anybody we have throwing on our staff. Embarassing.
Sly Fox wrote:Not to defend the thinking, but most coaches tend to gamble more in winner's bracket semifinals. Knowing that you aren't facing elimination, you want preserve your best arms for when it really matters. Obviously that didn't pay off in this one. But in NCAA Regionals, thinking about yesterday is pointless whether good or bad. It is all about the next one.
totally agree with sly here. yes this was an embarrassing loss. There are some days where you just do not have it and It happens.The guys kept playing. I personally like the focus change to the elimination game. wipe the slate clean. You could make an argument for either pitcher in this game. Both Roy and Lambert pitched well when we played the gamecocks in the regular season. but as sly said, this game is in the rear view. Time for Clemson! GO FLAMES!
The 5 errors were the most embarassing thing to me, and that is very atypical for this team. 11 of their runs were unearned. I agree that the final score is irrelevant. Clean slate against the Tigers, and we know we can beat them.

I think we will have made a big mistake if we are eliminated from this tournament without pitching Blake Fulghum. IMHO who is pitching well now is more important than who had the best season, and Blake was terriffic in his last outing against CCU.
bigsmooth wrote:
totally agree with sly here. yes this was an embarrassing loss. There are some days where you just do not have it and It happens.The guys kept playing. I personally like the focus change to the elimination game. wipe the slate clean. You could make an argument for either pitcher in this game. Both Roy and Lambert pitched well when we played the gamecocks in the regular season. but as sly said, this game is in the rear view. Time for Clemson! GO FLAMES!
They sort of had too since there is no 'Mercy Rule'. They just didn't play with any focus or pride. I agree with the fact there is a clean slate today and hope it will all turn around. I just wish there would have been more apparent focus on winning yesterday's game from the start. Hopefully we will see them again tonite and tomorrow
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]