This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I dont believe they should get in. No team that thinks they are a contender for a regional should play a schedule that weak. Their schedule makes our two 40 win years look like murders row. I would see ccu getting in before them. Btw campbells fans while are energetic remain some of the nastiest fans that ive dealt with.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:6-0 bases still loaded.

Liberty is really applying the pressure on Coastal. Nick Pierce is top notch. Serious talent on the other end of the radio.
I was talking to another broadcaster friend of mine (he is calling Amherst County High School baseball and does some occasional stuff at Liberty), and he heard that Nick actually had a chance to work the Hillcats games for The Planet this season but he turned it down. He is probably the best PxP guy in the Braves system. I would not be surprised if he is considered for the lead job in Atlanta whenever that opening comes up
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have little doubt in my mind that sooner or later calling PxP for a MLB team is in Nick´s future. The voice is second to none, and his love for and knowledge of the game comes across loud and clear. He´s as much of a stud in the booth as Perritt is on the field. I love Alan York as well, but the downside of hiring him as Voice of the Flames is it means we almost certainly will eventually lose Nick.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
krh44 wrote:
g-webb1994 wrote:I think Coastal will squeeze in. Looking at the Camels SOS, no way.

What is it with LU, y'all get don't care about the regular season of sports anymore? Psst.....you can't do that in football. :wink: Congrats on the win though.

Maybe y'all will get what is left of this A-She-She classic semi of UNC/NCSU, currently in the top of the 17th inning tied at 1, approaching 1 am.
I think Campbell will get in not sure they deserve based on schedule.
Ironically, their SOS is hurt by the fact that they didn´t play Coastal this year.

Luckily they played us. I am pretty sure we were there best win.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:After seeing it for the first time on the recap, does anyone else see similarities between Alex´s scoring jaunt and the one that another former Flames first baseman will forever be remembered for?
With all due respect, I have to believe that 20-year-old Honors student Alex Close has to have faster wheels than big Sid, but the slide itself was very similar with the same results--SAFE.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
olldflame wrote:After seeing it for the first time on the recap, does anyone else see similarities between Alex´s scoring jaunt and the one that another former Flames first baseman will forever be remembered for?
With all due respect, I have to believe that 20-year-old Honors student Alex Close has to have faster wheels than big Sid, but the slide itself was very similar with the same results--SAFE.
The Sid Bream who made that famous slide with an enormous brace on his knee was a shadow of the athlete who played for LU back in my day. I remember him hanging out on the court with a bunch of kids prior to basketball games at Jefferson Forest where we played our home games and dunking WITH EASE. I would say Alex is a bit faster than old crippled Sid, but not by much, and on that play he most definately slid like Sid.
By sporter
Registration Days Posts
Nick has talked several times about Alex growing up in Atlanta and being a huge Braves fan so he would probably be flattered about the slide comparison but not so much about the speed! Not only the slide but the hit was similar, the left fielder was left handed with an average arm (Barry Bonds before steroids), and the throw was up the line a little towards first.

Funny that Nick made a comment about Alex's speed on the video recap as well. He actually is a pretty good base runner with decent speed for a big man - Nick and Alan talk about that alot.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Congrats to this team on pulling through. Many of us were hard on Toman and the crew this year... Glad to see we are finally getting some ROI on all the $$$ that has been spent. May just have to make the trip down to the land of milk and honey... BTW for those of you making the trip, might I suggest the Cock N'Bull. Its an Irish Pub with fantastic food. My buddy owns it and its not far from the stadium.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:Congrats to this team on pulling through. Many of us were hard on Toman and the crew this year... Glad to see we are finally getting some ROI on all the $$$ that has been spent. May just have to make the trip down to the land of milk and honey... BTW for those of you making the trip, might I suggest the Cock N'Bull. Its an Irish Pub with fantastic food. My buddy owns it and its not far from the stadium.
Sounds like a hang out for SMOOTH!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:I wanted to upload the final out of the game while I had time. I'll post more pictures and videos later this week.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
You just brought a huge smile to the face of a guy somewhere in the South Pacific. Thanks!
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]