This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, Virginia

ODU Official Site

Chris Finwood
2nd Season as ODU Head Coach - VMI Alum

2013 Schedule/Results:
  • Overall .... 21-18
    Home ...... 15-8
  • 02/15 - Marshall ....................................... L, 3-0
    02/16 - Marshall ....................................... W, 10-1
    02/17 - Marshall ....................................... Cancelled
    02/22 - Rutgers ........................................ L, 3-0
    02/24 - Rutgers ........................................ W, 4-3
    02/24 - Rutgers ........................................ L, 17-7
    02/27 - @ VMI ......................................... W, 11-5
    03/01 - Temple ........................................ W, 9-2
    03/02 - Temple ........................................ W, 12-4
    03/03 - Temple ........................................ W, 2-0
    03/05 - @ Richmond .................................. L, 7-6
    03/06 - East Carolina ................................. Cancelled
    03/08 - Northeastern* ............................... W, 11-4
    03/09 - Northeastern* ............................... W, 10-8
    03/10 - Northeastern* ............................... L, 2-1
    03/12 - @ East Carolina ............................. W, 5-3
    03/13 - @ #18 NC State ............................ L, 5-0
    03/15 - @ Georgia State* .......................... L, 13-8
    03/16 - @ Georgia State* .......................... L, 12-10
    03/17 - @ Georgia State* .......................... L, 7-4
    03/20 - vs. Virginia State in Norfolk ............. W, 13-3
    03/22 - Towson* ..................................... W, 4-3
    03/23 - Towson* ..................................... L, 9-1
    03/23 - Towson* ..................................... W, 13-4
    03/26 - Charleston Southern ...................... W, 4-3
    03/29 - UNC-Wilmington* ........................... L, 1-0
    03/30 - UNC-Wilmington* ........................... L, 6-3
    03/31 - UNC-Wilmington* ........................... L, 8-1
    04/03 - @ Campbell ................................... L, 8-0
    04/05 - @ JMU* ....................................... W, 7-4
    04/06 - @ JMU* ....................................... W, 6-5
    04/07 - @ JMU* ........................................ W, 14-2
    04/09 - Richmond ...................................... W, 7-4
    04/12 - @ Hofstra* ................................... Postponed
    04/13 - @ Hofstra* (DH - Game 1) ............... L, 8-4
    04/13 - @ Hofstra* (DH - Game 2) ............... L, 5-1
    04/14 - @ Hofstra* ................................... W, 14-5
    04/16 - @ Liberty ..................................... L, 6-2
    04/17 - @ Virginia ..................................... L, 10-9
    04/19 - William & Mary* ............................. W, 6-5
    04/20 - William & Mary* ............................. W, 10-1
    04/21 - William & Mary* ............................. W, 1-0
    04/23 - vs. VCU in Hampton ........................ 7:00 p.m. ET
    04/24 - Liberty ......................................... 6:00 p.m. ET
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Liberty out to an 8-0 lead as they bat in the top of the 2nd. Alex Close hit a grand slam in the 1st.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Liberty 17, ODU 10 Final.

I'd like to see this as a final score when we match up with ODU on October 5th.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:Liberty 17, ODU 10 Final.

I'd like to see this as a final score when we match up with ODU on October 5th.

+1

Doubt we keep ODU under 10 pts in football
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Good to see Alex have good game,I think he has driven in as many RBIs in the last 2 games has he had for the season up to that point.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
2 great signs today, obviously the bats come alive and Graeur's 3 scoreless IP. He's really turned it up the last 3 or 4 weeks. Lyons and Graeur could be the shot in the arm the staff needs to rebound. Taormina would be huge too since we have gotten nothing from 3b from most of the year. We will have a chance to be a factor if those guys along with Alex step up.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: Taormina would be huge too since we have gotten nothing from 3b from most of the year.
He was injured and removed from the game after his fourth hit. Has there been an update on his injury?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
As disappointing as this season has been, if the Alex Close of last year reappears in time for the BSC tourney, with the emergence of Perritt and Taurmina, I think we have a shot.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:As disappointing as this season has been, if the Alex Close of last year reappears in time for the BSC tourney, with the emergence of Perritt and Taurmina, I think we have a shot.
I agree, especially since we can use our best 5-6 arms rather than going to our second tier pitchers who have been woeful this year. Really miss Matt Marsh - he'd be huge in the BSC tournament.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:As disappointing as this season has been, if the Alex Close of last year reappears in time for the BSC tourney, with the emergence of Perritt and Taurmina, I think we have a shot.
Our MBB taught us anything is possible
By Flamepop
Registration Days Posts
Taormina dislocated his left arm and will probably miss significant time. It was a very painful injury to watch. He was trying to stretch a double into a triple with 2 outs in the ninth and was hurt sliding into third. If he had reached 3rd safely he would have hit for the cycle. We had just emptied the bench and Herndon had to play third in the bottom of the ninth.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I hate to be negative about the Young man when he is injured, but he had no business trying to stretch out that triple in the 9th when we had a big lead. His desire to accomplish an individual feat has now cost the team his services just when he was starting to produce.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I hate to be negative about the Young man when he is injured, but he had no business trying to stretch out that triple in the 9th when we had a big lead. His desire to accomplish an individual feat has now cost the team his services just when he was starting to produce.
It's baseball. You're up big. Every single player that could get the cycle would try to do that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
olldflame wrote:I hate to be negative about the Young man when he is injured, but he had no business trying to stretch out that triple in the 9th when we had a big lead. His desire to accomplish an individual feat has now cost the team his services just when he was starting to produce.
It's baseball. You're up big. Every single player that could get the cycle would try to do that.
Agreed
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
SuperJon wrote:
Agreed
+1...he has a chance to do something that has only been done...what...twice in school history? Id go for it too in his position
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Every baseball player to play the game would try for that. Tough break. Really tough
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Flamepop wrote:Taormina dislocated his left arm and will probably miss significant time. It was a very painful injury to watch. He was trying to stretch a double into a triple with 2 outs in the ninth and was hurt sliding into third. If he had reached 3rd safely he would have hit for the cycle. We had just emptied the bench and Herndon had to play third in the bottom of the ninth.
Okay, how do you dislocate an arm? Are you saying he dislocated his elbow or separated a shoulder?
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
On the radio feed, Nick said he was sliding head first into third base. Regardless of the circumstances, I hate to see a kid go through a season ending injury in any sport. Hopefully, he will not have lingering effects after recovering.
By Flamepop
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
Flamepop wrote:Taormina dislocated his left arm and will probably miss significant time. It was a very painful injury to watch. He was trying to stretch a double into a triple with 2 outs in the ninth and was hurt sliding into third. If he had reached 3rd safely he would have hit for the cycle. We had just emptied the bench and Herndon had to play third in the bottom of the ninth.
Okay, how do you dislocate an arm? Are you saying he dislocated his elbow or separated a shoulder?
I am not sure if it was the shoulder or elbow so I said arm to cover all bases. I am sure the extent of the injury will be known soon. He was in a sling after the game.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Id go for it too in his position
Trying to picture ole BJ legging out a triple. :dontgetit
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]