This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
Ok, I am driving to work and the Flames minute on ESPN radio comes on. Toman was talking about tonights game against UVA, and proceeds to make 2 references to tonight being a "MONUMENTAL task" in order to beat UVA - what!?? Im so sick of this and it's not the first time it's happened. Before we went down to SC the radio bites was about having to "shock the world" and the guys having to play way over their heards! We took one from them and should have not blown a 7-0 lead to take 2!! This program is not new to taking down ranked teams - even as far back as the 90s. Wake Forest, South carolina, UNC, UVA just last year at THEIR PLACE, Coastal (except the last 17 straight - a whole other topic all together), ECU, etc. Why in the world, with 5 years of being able to bring in better talent than this school has ever had does this require a monumental task?? This comment tells me 2 things.....1. It tells you how much faith he has in this team, and 2. feels the need to make this sound a lot tougher task to the fan base and make sure he is covered by letting everyone know that UVA is favored just in case we dont pull of a "decent" mid week upset. This wont even be as big as going into UVA or UNC last year and beating both of them ON THE ROAD! All I'm saying is that I love when coaches' believe in their school and players and always back them in the media and always excpect to win, especially in a sport like baseball. That was a weak move in my opinion and was definitely playing is safe during a season that is not exactly meeting up to standards so far.....not the confidence fan base is looking for....
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:I think we have a Dark Side for baseball as well haha :flamingdevil :batman
The Dark Side is all encompassing! Only those weak in the Dark Side single out specifics. It's why it's an entire side, not just a sector!
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I understand your point, and I'm not a Toman fan, BUT they are 4th in the country. Wouldn't Coach Green say the same thing about Duke or Coach Tolsma say the same thing about Arkansas? We have a lot of talent flowing through the system right now and with this unbelievable stadium being built - that shouldn't change. Now we just need better coaching and more wins, before we can walk the walk. Beating UVA is a start, but will be difficult task. Talking on the radio isn't easy either... Sometimes it's hard to think through some like this that quickly...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:I understand your point, and I'm not a Toman fan, BUT they are 4th in the country. Wouldn't Coach Green say the same thing about Duke or Coach Tolsma say the same thing about Arkansas? We have a lot of talent flowing through the system right now and with this unbelievable stadium being built - that shouldn't change. Now we just need better coaching and more wins, before we can walk the walk. Beating UVA is a start, but will be difficult task. Talking on the radio isn't easy either... Sometimes it's hard to think through some like this that quickly...
Speak for yourself :D
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
:shock: What we aren't taking about - UVA has played 23 Home Games this year and only 5 Away Games. And doesn't get any worse - 14 more homes games, compared to 12 away games.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
prototype wrote:I understand your point, and I'm not a Toman fan, BUT they are 4th in the country. Wouldn't Coach Green say the same thing about Duke or Coach Tolsma say the same thing about Arkansas? We have a lot of talent flowing through the system right now and with this unbelievable stadium being built - that shouldn't change. Now we just need better coaching and more wins, before we can walk the walk. Beating UVA is a start, but will be difficult task. Talking on the radio isn't easy either... Sometimes it's hard to think through some like this that quickly...
Haize - You're the exception to the rule;)... I hate radio, but hate TV even worse. Everything's good until they put a mic in my face... Then all of a sudden I turn into an illiterate 5th grader that can't string two good thoughts together.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The Flames Minute isn't just radio. Nick interviews a guy before hand and asks him questions. If he doesn't like an answer, he can easily redo it.

If this were just simple coach speak, it would've been something along the lines of, "We've got a tough task ahead of us. UVA is a great ball club, very well coach. We'll have to play really well to get a win today but we're prepared and we're going for the W. We'll tee it up tonight and see what happens." Toman is lowering expectations so if we play well or win all of the fans think it was the biggest thing in the world. He did the same thing before the SC series.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:The Flames Minute isn't just radio. Nick interviews a guy before hand and asks him questions. If he doesn't like an answer, he can easily redo it.

If this were just simple coach speak, it would've been something along the lines of, "We've got a tough task ahead of us. UVA is a great ball club, very well coach. We'll have to play really well to get a win today but we're prepared and we're going for the W. We'll tee it up tonight and see what happens." Toman is lowering expectations so if we play well or win all of the fans think it was the biggest thing in the world. He did the same thing before the SC series.
I don't see Toman as a good public speaker, that thinks out things very well... Not his fault, just not his strength. Mine either... I think that would have a much better response.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Haize - You're the exception to the rule;)... I hate radio, but hate TV even worse. Everything's good until they put a mic in my face... Then all of a sudden I turn into an illiterate 5th grader that can't string two good thoughts together.
So it makes you smarter? :twisted:
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
So it makes you smarter? :twisted[/quote]

LOL!! That made me laugh... Yes, I have tried to put a fake camera on my desk, but it just never works the same - I still read and write on a 2nd grade level...
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:Yes, I have tried to put a fake camera on my desk, but it just never works the same - I still read and write on a 2nd grade level...
Which is why, when presented with the possibility of coming up with a witty and/or trendy name for a FROYO shop (which likely would have been "dated" before the signs went up), you came up with "BLOOP." :D

(The name has grown on me.)
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Some coaches are not good at talking with media.
And some coaches are only good at recruiting and not much else... ;) Sometimes that could be good enough.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I am not a big Toman fan, but this is some pretty strong nit-picking. Anyone ever listen closely to Lou Holtz before a game? If he was playing Liberty while coaching at ND, you would have basically heard the same thing. If the players are affected by this at all, they should go play badminton.
I can understand not being pro Toman, but some of this negativity is so crazy, the rest of the argument gets lost. BTW, he is overweight too, should we make an issue of that? Jeeeeez.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I am not a big Toman fan, but this is some pretty strong nit-picking. Anyone ever listen closely to Lou Holtz before a game? If he was playing Liberty while coaching at ND, you would have basically heard the same thing. If the players are affected by this at all, they should go play badminton.
I can understand not being pro Toman, but some of this negativity is so crazy, the rest of the argument gets lost. BTW, he is overweight too, should we make an issue of that? Jeeeeez.
That would be personal. I don't think people are getting personal. It's a message Board - this is what people do on a message board. This is a chance for everyone to live out their fantasy of being the greatest coach/AD/Facilities Director/SID of all time. Their just opinions and most are about coaching things, not family, race, weight, etc...
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
flameshaw wrote:I am not a big Toman fan, but this is some pretty strong nit-picking. Anyone ever listen closely to Lou Holtz before a game? If he was playing Liberty while coaching at ND, you would have basically heard the same thing. If the players are affected by this at all, they should go play badminton.
I never said anything about players being affected and player to coach interaction. I just gave an opinion on how coach set up expectations for the game for anyone, fans etc. I have not been on here bashing or being negative to coach and the program, but I just gave one negative opinion on how something was handle - nothing personal.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
It's called sandbagging. Lots of coaches do it. In fact when our athletic department does the opposite and hypes everything up and we fail to meet the expectations, I've read people on here complaining about that. It's our fault that not making the playoffs in football is so devastating because of all of the hype we put into it, etc. I guess a coach should see into the future and adjust his comments accordingly.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]