This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
They (Athletics) gave away tickets to the students much of last week leading up to the Easter weekend smooth. They had a table at the dining hall for two or three days I think
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:A 2-0 loss is completely respectable and is a good result. It would've been a monumental win, but I don't think it would've taken a monumental task to beat them. We have shown we have the talent to hang with them. Our pitchers absolutely shoved. We've gotta get that consistently the rest of the year. Pumping 94 is ridiculous. If we can utilize our talent, we can be very scary. We've gotta win 3 of the next 5 to have a shot at the regionals.
richardson and perritt were terrific. straight up heat. where has this been all year? hope we can keep it up
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
To answer your question, and this isn't just because I don't like our staff, the heat has been there but we don't throw it. We are so slider happy that we never take time to establish the fastball. Tonight we did because it was being so effective. If we established the fastball, then threw breaking stuff, we could get results like this all year.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Watching Chucky South play South Carolina. On FS San Diego of all channels :dontgetit

Anyway, Chucky losing 9-5.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Yah you knew the students wouldn't show up if there's the slighest bad weather. Need to move on from them and pursue the local baseball fans. The PSU series and tonight proved that there is interest in baseball without a doubt if we can get quality opposition in here.

As for the game. Richardson gave up a bleeder through the 4-3 hole that alex gave up on and Toman talked to them about. I think he walked a guy on a 3-2 curveball that was later called for a punch out twice in the game! Then Toman made him give and IBB which was a mistake as he hit the next guy then a squibber to short that was a VERY close play at first. There was your 2 runs for the night.

I think Toman is on to something with tonight's pitching. Need to stretch out either Perrit or Richardson and make them the midweek starter then back them up with the other for an inning or 2. If we have to use both like we did tonight we still have Bankemper to close on Friday night until one is available again. I didn't see Perrit hit 97 but he he hit 94 consistenly and straight up overpowered the UVA hitters. Those two guys are straight up nasty and are too good to be throwing as little as they have been. If we run those 2 out there they will keep us in the game against UNC and we can beat any other mid week teams we have left.

The bats are another story. Uva has very good pitching but we continue to have an atrociuos approach to hitting. All 3 hitters in the ninth come out swinging when we need a base runner to get on so Trey has a chance to tie the game. Were just not going to be able to produce with no offense from 1b, 3b, ss,dh, & RF and Lacik who is a poor man's version of Ian Parmley.

Several comments on the sabre saying how nice the stadium was and that UVA could learn from ours. I agree having been to both.
By 4everflame
Registration Days
A few comments regarding the game and the season so far:

Tonight's game is how it goes sometimes when you face an excellent staff like Virginia's. Their bullpen had only given up one run in the last 35 innings and their starter was very solid as well. To answer the question regarding where has our midweek pitching been, this is the first time that we have used our closer and setup man in a main mid week role. Perritt and Richardson were outstanding tonight. Obviously can't do that often as they have to be ready to go on weekends unless you decide the mid week starting role is more important and use them there.

Read through some of the old posts on here are agree with a few of the points made by folks earlier: The large amount of sliders that we throw hurts in a few ways - 1) the pitcher's velocity is lowered as you go through the game because of the wear on your arm 2) your pitcher's confidence is shaken as they want to know that the coach believes in their ability to get folks out with the fastball and 3) the amount of walks go up as you end up working behind in the count.

Also, completely agree with the posts regarding our poor approaches at the plate. The player's have to take some responsibility but it is clear they are missing Hagen from last year as what I have heard is that there is no one giving quality instruction to the hitters, whether it be the approach or specifics with their swing. Interesting that other than Grauer, who only had 40 or so at bats last year, Wimmer is the only regular hitting better than last year. Close is down 100 pts, Sizemore 70, while Cordell, Anderruud, and Sype are down around 30 pts. We need someone on the staff to give the guys help in this area as we are not progressing, but rather going backwards.

Disagree with SJ on one point - hope I am wrong, but even if we win 3 of the next 5, we are not in a position to gain an at large berth this year as we would have to be almost perfect the remainder of the year. Hate to call it this early, but our focus really needs to be on getting better every game as we head towards the tournament. Not throwing in the towel by any means as this team has too much talent, but we have to figure out a way to hit and pitch it with more consistency before we get too hung up on the RPI and the at large.

Jinxy - just read your comments after typing this - agree that you can make one of them the midweek starter but keep the other in a closing role with Bankamper. Unfortunately, the other arms with potential are not getting it done to this point - the loss of Marsh has really hurt us.
Last thing - Beat Coastal. This is very doable this year as they are not the team they have been in the past.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I could not believe the Concession Stand was so under-staffed. Whoever is in charge of concessions should have know there would be a large crowd, thus making arrangements to have enough staff on hand would have been the thing to do.
I waited in line a few minutes then gave up when line never moved.

Does anyone know eho is in charge of concession operations ? Is it Sodexo ?
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]