This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Blacksburg, Virginia

VT Baseball Official Site

English Field
Opened in 1989 - Seats 4000

Pete Hughes
7th Season as VT Head Coach

2013 Schedule/Results
  • UNC Wilmington Tournament
    Feb 15 - vs. Kent State ......................... W, 10-9
    Feb 16 - vs. Kent State ......................... W, 8-1
    Feb 16 - @ UNC Wilmington .................... W, 9-0 in 8 Inns
    Feb 17 - @ UNC Wilmington .................... W, 7-2

Feb 23 - Temple ................................... L, 3-7
    Feb 23 - Holy Cross .............................. W, 7-5
    Feb 24 - Delaware ................................ W, 13-4
    Feb 25 - Delaware ................................ W, 5-3
    Feb 27 - Radford .................................. W, 14-10

Irish Baseball Classic, USA Complex in Cary, NC
    Mar 01 - vs. Rhode Island ...................... W, 7-3
    Mar 01 - vs. Ohio ................................. W, 8-2
    Mar 02 - vs. #22 Notre Dame .................. L, 0-3
    Mar 03 - vs. Tennessee ......................... W, 7-3

Mar 06 - William & Mary ......................... Cancelled
    Mar 08 - #14 Georgia Tech* ................... L, 1-11
    Mar 09 - #14 Georgia Tech* ................... L, 9-14
    Mar 10 - #14 Georgia Tech* .................. W, 6-2
    Mar 12 - @ Charlotte ............................ W, 6-1
    Mar 13 - @ Elon ................................... L, 3-4
    Mar 15 - @ Duke* ................................ W, 2-1 in 11 Inns
    Mar 16 - @ Duke* ................................ W, 14-7
    Mar 17 - @ Duke* ................................ W, 6-2
    Mar 19 - Liberty ................................... 5:30 p.m.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
It would be a nice to add another quality road RPI win to the resume. This is probably our highest remaining road non-conference RPI game at this point unless Maryland really heats it up.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I couldnt trust martin after that debacle last week. Id give fulgham and then work with parks for the second mid week starts. Toman is using mckelvey a lot in tight spots which scares me because hes erratic. He has plus stuff just hasnt completely harnassed it yet. Is marsh dinged up again havent seen him used in a while
By sporter
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:I couldnt trust martin after that debacle last week. Id give fulgham and then work with parks for the second mid week starts. Toman is using mckelvey a lot in tight spots which scares me because hes erratic. He has plus stuff just hasnt completely harnassed it yet. Is marsh dinged up again havent seen him used in a while
Nick tweeted this afternoon that Matt had arm surgery this week and full recovery is expected by March of 2014. Definitely a tough loss as he was really throwing well.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Thats a big blow. He was really the guy we could to in trouble and get 3 innings of quality relief out him. He does have a bit of an unorthodox delivery so that could cause some arm strain but so do most pitchers these days. Hate that for him. Also i was a little too critical of willi after the uva game. It was a rough start and with marsh going down were going to need him down the stretch
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Actually I think it means that a wormhole will open up at the field creating some parallax distortion in the space time continuum because Tech has had their issues since he became their beat reporter (look at the GT series and how the basketball team did there)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Ok we officially have nothing for mid week pitching, just getting hammered. Today is aboslutely embarassing, glad i didn't waste my time and go to this. We won't win another mid week game this year if we don't find a starter that can get a single out, incredible. The rest of the pen isn't doing any better.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
16-5 in the 8th wow, might be time to do the unthinkable and give alex a few days off. He's 0 for again and has like 24 strikeout's on the season with just 3 rbi's. This is way worse than the Tyler Bream slump of a couple years ago.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:16-5 in the 8th wow, might be time to do the unthinkable and give alex a few days off. He's 0 for again and has like 24 strikeout's on the season with just 3 rbi's. This is way worse than the Tyler Bream slump of a couple years ago.
Just a quick observation. In watching Alex Close swing it's real obvious he's lifting his back foot and swinging like he has a tennis racket in his hand and is hitting a 2 handed forehand. His balance at the plate is not good to say the least. I'm sure the coaches are aware of this and are working on getting it fixed like looking at video from last year and this year and hitting off a tee just top get his brain connected to his feet.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
jinxy wrote:16-5 in the 8th wow, might be time to do the unthinkable and give alex a few days off. He's 0 for again and has like 24 strikeout's on the season with just 3 rbi's. This is way worse than the Tyler Bream slump of a couple years ago.
Just a quick observation. In watching Alex Close swing it's real obvious he's lifting his back foot and swinging like he has a tennis racket in his hand and is hitting a 2 handed forehand. His balance at the plate is not good to say the least. I'm sure the coaches are aware of this and are working on getting it fixed like looking at video from last year and this year and hitting off a tee just top get his brain connected to his feet.
It's amazing how the the little mechanics at the plate can have such a large effect on a batter. He had such a great year last year. Hopefully, he keeps his head in the game and doesn't let this little slump get to him.

At this point... I'm more worried about the pitching. Even with Close having a year like last year, I don't see us coming back from that sort of deficit.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hoc[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]