This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
huntandfish wrote:If he continues to play Indy ball he can pretty much go to school, on campus, the entire year. They report in May and finish Sept. It would take some work and some online classes but LU is the online king. He could workout and enjoy the college life. Heck maybe Storm would allow him to workout with the ball club. Really sounds like a good kid I hope he put that cash in the bank and don't touch it til he has his degree.
He might make a good wr or cb. Real long shot since he hasn't played. But you never know...lot's of baseball/football 2 sport stars. But he likely hasn't given up on his baseball dream yet.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I wanted to wait to get a bit more context, but is the "college tuition money" guaranteed or is it contingent on staying under contract with the team? if its the latter, would that mean that he doesn't have it anymore?
By LUDad
BJWilliams wrote:I wanted to wait to get a bit more context, but is the "college tuition money" guaranteed or is it contingent on staying under contract with the team? if its the latter, would that mean that he doesn't have it anymore?
College tuition money is negotiated within the contract along with the signing bonus. It is guaranteed as long as certain contingencies are met. See link below.

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/pro-scouti ... p_plan.htm
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
He has 6 years after his last professional game. The small print is Indy ball don't count. But if someone picks him up the clock starts over. I don't read the link just going on personal experience with the past few years. I guess it could have changed, sorry should have read the link.
By jcrew4
Registration Days Posts
We had a kid from our high school who sign with the Oakland A's this year. He was a UGA commit but the A's gave him $1.2 million. In speaking with his dad he would get essentially the cost of tuition at UGA for a period of time after he leaves MLB. I thought that time was 10 yrs but I could be wrong. He did say that it was based on the round you were selected in whether that was an option and it was part of the initial contract. If this kid was selected in the 16th round that option might not have been on the table. Hopefully for him it was.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]