This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
According to the Wikipedia entry on the Big South Conference, Worthington Stadium is now listed with a 2,500 seating capacity, which will make it the largest stadium in the Big South Conference (even bigger than Coastal's).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_South_Conference
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Definitely diggin that...and the softball team getting a new field where the baseball stadium is currently will definitely benefit them as well (not a bad reward for the second championship in school history)
By sporter
Registration Days Posts
Stating the obvious but this is huge for recruiting. While Worthington was pretty and had some great upgrades over the years, the lack of a stadium type feel (seat backs, etc) really impacted the program's ability to come across as a potential top level program to impressionable, high school age kids. Depending on how it is done, capacity for 3000 people is a great size for us. Very exciting news!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed sporter...imagine showing potential recruits the work site (hardhats and all) and then telling them "this time next year you could be playing right here in from of 3000 fans"
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
To put 2,000-3,000 seats into prespective, City Stadium where the Lynchburg Hillcats play seats 2,000 fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynchburg_Hillcats

And, sadly, there was no mention of the new stadium in today's paper. Maybe tomorrow's edtion?
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Amazing news! Looking forward to seeing the renderings. I'm surprised no one has posted them yet...even if they don't exist!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Even half the size of City Stadium would be nice (I should have known better than to trust Wikipedia). :oops:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:This will definitely boost recruiting.
For baseball AND softball. :clapping
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
We will have the best minor league stadium in Lynchburg, and with the type of talent Toman will be able to bring in thanks to the facilities, we will have the best minor league team in the city too :lol:

I honestly don't really care too much about how many people the stadium can seat (2-3k is sweet, don't get me wrong!), but the appearance is vitally important! Winthrop did their stadium right. I'd really like this stadium to look equally nice or even nicer than Winthrop's ball field. Then we could host some BSC tournaments :idea:
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Dont let the number of seats fool you...they sized this right. Putting in to many seats can be a big mistake for atmosphere and perception....ask the Salem Red Sox.

Yes, this will be nicer than City Stadium...the reason why lies within the name of the stadium :lol:
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:Dont let the number of seats fool you...they sized this right. Putting in to many seats can be a big mistake for atmosphere and perception....ask the Salem Red Sox.

Yes, this will be nicer than City Stadium...the reason why lies within the name of the stadium :lol:
I've been perceiving lately a subtle discontent for our city leaders :lol:
Last edited by From the class of 09 on August 10th, 2011, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I need to work on that. I do know that renovations for the City Stadium took about 10 years to finally get approved regardless of the fact the amount spent would only be a loan and paid back. And by loan I do not mean the same type of "city loan" that Craddock Terry Hotel received...this is the type of loan that has been paid on time every year and far exceeding the minimum payments agreed on.
By drumnColby757
Registration Days Posts
It looks from the photo that its going to be on top of the amphitheater!
By Jkill617
Registration Days Posts
I think this is the best use of the space beside David's place. This will help improve our baseball team in many ways!
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
So where is the athletics administration going? They were going to go in David's Place but now baseball is going there.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:So where is the athletics administration going? They were going to go in David's Place but now baseball is going there.
I thought they weren't going to level David's Place... Did I miss something?
By NG33
Registration Days Posts
There's been approximately 124,343 different plans for where to put them. So really nothing would surprise me anymore haha
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
NG33 wrote:There's been approximately 124,343 different plans for where to put them. So really nothing would surprise me anymore haha
+1

So any rendering for how this puppy is going to look? I'm just so excited!!! :mrgreen:
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Rooster Cogburn wrote:So what happens to the Scoreboard?
JLFJR already said that it will be moved to the new stadium location. Apparently the construction crews can do that sort of thing. Pretty sweet!
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Rooster Cogburn wrote:So what happens to the Scoreboard?
JLFJR already said that it will be moved to the new stadium location. Apparently the construction crews can do that sort of thing. Pretty sweet!
"So as you can see, Lady Flames softball team, this is going to be your new field! Oh, try to imagine it without that cool state-of-the-art scoreboard. We'll put your old one out there instead."
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Who says that they couldnt put a nice one in for them as part of the build process...
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]