This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Thought I would start a new Topic that could give a preview to some things we are doing for Baseball. Here is a poster that was designed for them.

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i like it! very nice touch proto.
By RedDog
Registration Days Posts
Nice looking poster but why don't you have the complete names for the players? ... That would be a good tool to use so people in the community could learn who these players are before the season starts
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
There is only so much room on a poster, especially when we are trying to highlight multiple players. When dealing with Athletes, fans seem to connect with the last names first and call them by that. Especially on teams like Baseball that might have multiple Mike's and Tim's, etc...
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Besides, that's where a media guide comes in. They each have their purpose. Good job proto.
By RedDog
Registration Days Posts
There is plenty of room for the full name if you double stack the names without it looking too junky ...

I disagree about fans connecting with last names ... I believe they connect with the first name or full name if there are multiples ... for example, you don't hear fans yelling hear hey bonds or Ripken, they are yelling hey Barry or Cal ... and when there are mutliple names, they use the full name ... I have never seen a poster that puts just last name on it like that ...

Even though you are correct that each have their purpose, the general communtiy and fans doesn't get media guides so that isn't going to work ...
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Give him a break....

What I mean is that he's going out of his way to show us upcoming designs. He did not ask us for us to criticize. Artists take pride in their work and one way to get Proto to stop giving us insight would be to become critics over his work. The man does a good job and the level of quality in LU's image has skyrocketed in recent years. If we have other opinions, PM him, email him, but don't tell him what to do in an open forum.

I can't imagine us trying to pick apart Chris Lang's work every time he posts an article or giving Scar a hard time for his play by play... It's not cool.

Now, if Proto starts a thread and says "I want your opinion..." that'd be different. otherwise, let's just thank him for posting it and appreciate it. Don't put down his work in public.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Thanks Tally. It's alright though. I have tough skin. In my field we get a lot of different opinions and I could survey 100 people - half would say they want full names and the other half will say it clutters up the poster. To tell you the truth - it's an artist decision. It really means very little in long run. A poster is not a score card that the SID department will pass out at games, it's a promotional piece that fans hang on their wall. Most people won't study a poster to get full names straight, they will glace at it from time to time ignoring the small print.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
the field looks beautiful. I can almost hear the birds and smell the hotdogs.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I really like the poster especially the red uniforms!
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
Nice job, two things I want to point out...

If you look at Just's helmet, it has the LU logo on it. If you look at Grijivala's, it has the Eagle logo. If you couldn't tell that was the eagle logo, well, it just proves my point as to how the stencil logo just can't be discerned when it is small.

Check out center field, behind the schedule -- you see LU in the grass. Great job by the groundskeepers working OT on that one.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Baseball is a unique sport. Most logos won't show up well from a distance - no matter the logo. We put LU on there hats, the baseball players wanted to put the logo on the batting helmets. And rules restrict us from using logos on chest for any NCAA team, but Track and Field. That's why you see names listed on front of jerseys - no logos. So most of the time you don't consider uniform design when you design a athletic logo.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
Relatively new to this site, so I'm just catching up and reading posts. Thanks for the preview of the poster. I pick them up for my nieces and nephews, who put them up and I use them to know when the games are.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I've got the poster hanging on my wall. I really like it. The only thing that I would change personally is putting another playing in white on the right, that way you have white on the left, middle, and right. It's a really nice looking poster though.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Where can I get this poster?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
They had em at the Vines last week.

The poster I have is a little different than the one Proto posted. The one I have has the players' entire name.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
I usually only get the basketball and football posters as I have yet to go to a baseball game. I've been wanting to, just never seems to work out.

One thing I would like to have is a pocket schedule for the games. Sometimes I find them for basketball or football. It seems the Hillcats one is all over the place when they start again.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
Was able to pickup a poster and a pocket schedule from the Vines at the Women's Big South Championship.
Athens Regional

Can Escobar fly a 747? Asking for a friend. A[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

ACC dug their own grave with poor leadership. At o[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Finally happened, the ATrain household is no l[…]