This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I know it's one game but did an alien abduction occur last night and pods replace Clouse and DeGroat? That was a positively dominant performance
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good BSC tournament opening game. If we can get pitching like that all week.............................................................
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The problem is, the tournament format really tests pitching depth, so at some point we will probably need to strut Bean or Herndon out there. :vomit
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The formula is true so far. We have to stay in winners bracket and we have to hit. We probably have enough pitching to go strong 1 or 2 more games after degroat performance. Better than I expected.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Next up is either Longwood or Winthrop tomorrow afternoon.

Liberty lost to Winthrop 3-0 (5-11, 5-7, 5-6) in the regular season, Liberty did not play Longwood in the regular season.

A win tomorrow means Liberty does not play again until Friday morning. A loss and Liberty plays Thursday with a potential crossover game vs. Coastal on Friday
By LUDad
olldflame wrote:The problem is, the tournament format really tests pitching depth, so at some point we will probably need to strut Bean or Herndon out there. :vomit
Herndon did throw 3 shutout innings against CCU. I really do think he's getting his command back. I'd love to see him finish strong...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If we can't beat Longwood or Winthrop, we should get on the bus and return to Lynchburg. I hope Winthrop beats Longwood, and I would love to see Radford beat Coastal.

Bean is due for a good starting assignment.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
olldflame wrote:The problem is, the tournament format really tests pitching depth, so at some point we will probably need to strut Bean or Herndon out there. :vomit
Herndon did throw 3 shutout innings against CCU. I really do think he's getting his command back. I'd love to see him finish strong...
Uh, well, sort of. He gave up a 2 run homer in the first, then it's true he shut out the beach chickens in innings 2,3,and 4 before giving up 4 more runs while retiring one batter in the 5th. Overall 6 ER in 4.1 innings. Saying that is a good sign is definately "glass half full" thinking.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I don't think you see either yet. My guess is Mitchell will start and then they try to use quarterly unless he's hurt.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:I don't think you see either yet. My guess is Mitchell will start and then they try to use quarterly unless he's hurt.
Oh, we will have to go through quite a few more pitchers IMHO before we resort to either of those 2. I think we start Mitchell tomorrow and Murphy in game 3, with quarterly available to do an extended bullpen stint if needed.
By ProudFlame
Registration Days
A really fun game to watch!...and a great way to start our "new season"! For this team, a group of amazing young men, who have experienced more disappointment than celebration up until this point---super exciting to see their success over the past two weeks. Keep it going guys! Go Flames!

Carol Herndon
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Good win. DeGroat has shown flashes of really pitching well at times this year. Saw him in person against Duke, he looked pretty good. Hope, we can win a few more, but as someone said, we get in the losers bracket and our lack of pitching depth will show big time.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop worked us over pretty good in our regular season series, and we haven't seen Longwood this year so I wouldn't exactly bank on anything at this point. Will see who they decide to throw tomorrow afternoon with Cole having not pitched on quite a while. I do hope we can stay in the upper bracket though
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
jinxy wrote:I don't think you see either yet. My guess is Mitchell will start and then they try to use quarterly unless he's hurt.
Oh, we will have to go through quite a few more pitchers IMHO before we resort to either of those 2. I think we start Mitchell tomorrow and Murphy in game 3, with quarterly available to do an extended bullpen stint if needed.
Unless Jordan Scott is hurt he should start tomorrow with Mitchell pitching game 3.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Longwood beat Winthrop 8-6. If we can win tomorrow, we should be in good shape the way the Bracket shapes up.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Scott was someone I thought about CHippy...would hate to see VC not get one more shot on the mound in an LU uniform though.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Longwood beat Winthrop 8-6. If we can win tomorrow, we should be in good shape the way the Bracket shapes up.
If we can win tomorrow, we will have a "sluggers chance". To say we would be in good shape is delusional. We are the 7 seed in this tournament for a reason, and Coastal is head and shoulders the best team. With the double elimination format, anyone else winning will be a shocker
Last edited by olldflame on May 24th, 2016, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Scott was someone I thought about CHippy...would hate to see VC not get one more shot on the mound in an LU uniform though.
Everything I have heard says he is out for the tourney.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well that's sad...hopefully he is able to get that arm taken care of so he can show well for the scouts and get into an MLB farm system this summer
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Mitchell it is. I think it's the right call. Scott might be used in relief tomorrow. It's the swing game for us to even have a punches chance so all hands are on deck for a winnable game.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. A win sends us straight to Friday and saves a lot of arms for the weekend
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Wow, that's kind of wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]