The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I see what you are saying BJ but I don't know if it is the truth or just some assumtion made up to justify that fact. I somehow think that since we are in a weak conference doesn't give LU the "bargaining power" to consistently bring in "the big names" no matter how successful we are. Of course the conference we are in may have nothing to do with it but it might. The same reason we get lower seedings than expected in the tourney is the same reason for lack of big name programs coming to the Vines. What do you think.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
there is 0 incentive for a "big name" school to go on the road out of conference at all. Most of them schedule 8 or 9 home games during that time and it is the mid majors that they feast on unless they go to tournaments. This is simply the way things go at the division 1 level. it has little to do with conference affiliation other than the fact that you don't want to go invite someone in that plays you tough or even beats you. That is why I commmend VA Tech in both Men's and Women's basketball for going on the road in-state to places like VMI, JMU and Liberty. They certainly don't have to subject themselves to ridicule by losing those games or getting played close even though reality says that they will be tough games. It is a case of if you don't have to go on the road and you can afford to pay 6 to 8 teams to come in a play you at home, you might as well do it.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
It just doesn't seem fair to me why these big name programs do this. You can see it in the big money sports but not womens hoops. Yes, Virginia Tech is doing us a favor by scheduling home and home games and they should be commended. I just wish that UVA would get off of their "high horse" and come to the Vines for a change.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
And the same goes for the 'bad' teams. It's just as hard to get a team like Wofford (I don't know if they are good or not, but I'm assuming they aren't good) to come to Vines because they know they'll almost definitely lose (and probably bad) so they might as well go to a 'bigger' name like UNC and lose to them and they might get a little money out of the deal too.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
You are right Wofford is not a good team. We scheduled them 2X in one year OOC and whipped them both times. Anyway I do see your point.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
WEF knows of what he speaks. His Men's team has gone through this scheduling thing the past few years. As far as scheduling down and bringing in a couple of nons, it is not that big of a deal for Liberty to do so because no one really cares about our strength of schedule for the most part. We are not making the tournament based on who we beat in the regular season. We make the tournament (Men and Women) because of what we do on a Saturday in March.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]