The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Feenstra to add sports award to list of achievements
Wednesday, May 03, 2006

By Gretchen Flemming
The Grand Rapids Press

Since last summer, Katie Feenstra has finished her rookie WNBA season, graduated from Liberty University, played basketball in South Korea, broken her nose and visited the ER twice.

It has been an eventful year for the 23-year-old Grand Rapids native. She's being recognized for some of her achievements -- probably not the broken nose -- as a March of Dimes West Michigan Sports Award winner. The ninth annual banquet will honor athletes, coaches, teams and administrators from the area's high school, college, amateur and professional ranks.

Feenstra began her second training camp with the San Antonio Silver Stars last week and said she's much more comfortable this year.
"It was a very hard transition for me," said the graduate of the former Grand Rapids Baptist, now NorthPointe Christian, High School. "My life totally changed. I still have a lot of learning to do, but this year it's 100 percent easier."

A 6-foot-8 center, Feenstra averaged 8.8 points and 5.2 rebounds per game during her rookie season, in which she played about 20 minutes per game. The Silver Stars struggled, finishing last in Western Conference at 7-27, the second-worst record in the 13-team league.

After last season, Feenstra returned to Liberty, where she had an outstanding collegiate career that ended in the Sweet 16 round of the 2005 NCAA Tournament. She finished her final semester of classes and in December earned a bachelor's degree in physical education. She then left to play basketball in a six-team league in South Korea that allows just one American each team roster.

"The first couple of weeks were really hard, I was homesick," Feenstra said. "But then I realized the opportunity I had, and the time just flew by. It was a good experience, a good way to keep in shape."

The league featured some top American players, including Tina Thompson (Houston Comets, USC) and Alana Beard (Washington Mystics, Duke). Feenstra said all of the competition was good.

"The Korean players were really small, so it was a really fast-paced game," she said.

While there, Feenstra made two visits to the emergency room, once for food poisoning and once for a broken nose suffered in a game on an accidental elbow from Beard.

"I hadn't been to the ER since I was about 2, then I went twice in two months," she said. "But I got stronger as a player, mentally and physically."

Last month, the Silver Stars added Tennessee's Shanna Zolman, Baylor's Sophia Young and DePaul's Khara Smith through the WNBA draft. Feenstra said they already make the Silver Stars a better team.

"We've got some great new players, they fit right in," she said. "Our team already has more chemistry."

Feenstra said she will be unable to attend the May 24 banquet due to the start of the WNBA season. The Silver Stars play three preseason games beginning Saturday before the regular season opens May 21 at Houston. Her parents, Wayne and Pat Feenstra, are scheduled to accept the award.

"I'm very honored they considered me," she said. "There are a lot of good athletes from West Michigan."
http://www.mlive.com/golf/grpress/index ... xml&coll=6
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Wow her life was eventful in Korea. Congratulation to Katie for the award.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Look who was all over the San Antonio website...

By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Also...

Katie is on the All-Star ballot... make sure you go vote for her. Someone with ties to the LU IT department should get them to put it on the splash page like they did Samkon Gado last fall.

The link to vote is on www.wnba.com
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
can you only vote once? It seems to be that is the case
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Her team is definitely improved from last season.
By Guest
Once a day.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts

corner of the front page this AM.

we will know that LU athletics has arrived when we are no longer impressed that our grads make the bigs in their sports, but for now its pretty exciting- "why not Liberty?"

poll results (u/d this AM)

By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I think we'll always be stoked about players doing good, even as giddy as we all are now...just b/c we did it our way (Christian school) and yet still got the same after effects as the others

Congrats to KD and I hope she's an All-Star!
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]