The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here is athe story Chris was telling us about from the Lynchburg fishwrap:
Smigelskaite and Piotrkiewicz give Flames a new look inside

By Chris Lang
Lynchburg News & Advance
January 13, 2006

Egle Smigelskaite has a wry sense of humor about her, kind of dry, kind of sneaky.

When told a story was being written about her and fellow Liberty center Karolina Piotrkiewicz, she responded: "I'm a point guard."

Cue the hearty guffaw.

But start digging into the hand-wringing that accompanied the preseason for Liberty, the constant questioning of "how the heck are the Flames going to replace Katie Feenstra?" and Smigelskaite's demeanor turns dour.

"It was getting on my nerves," the 6-foot-5 sophomore said.

Possibly because the question itself was rather pointless. You're not replacing a 6-8 WNBA draft pick, especially not with 6-5 and 6-3 players.

Smigelskaite, a Lithuanian, and Piotrkiewicz, who is Polish born but was raised in France, recognized this and sought to change the position more than "replace" Feenstra and her monstrous contributions.

Without a 6-8 post who overpowers just about everyone she comes into contact with, Flames coach Carey Green wanted to utilize the speed and finesse Piotrkiewicz and Smigelskaite bring to the frontcourt.

"We just tell everybody that we're a different team now," Smigelskaite said. "Me and KP, we can run. We have a great bunch of players who can shoot and can penetrate."

So far, the two have provided the boost the Flames need in the post, even if Smigelskaite is still working her way back into shape after tearing the ACL in her right knee at the end of last season.

Piotrkiewicz averages 7.5 points and 7.3 rebounds per game and has hit double figures in rebounds five times. (She also has two double-doubles).

Smigelskaite, whom teammates call "La-la" and whom Green says could have an X-factor kind of effect on the remainder of Liberty's season, will continue to see her minutes increase.

No longer hobbled by the bum knee, she provides the Flames with a lithe, finesse center who can shoot from the outside.

"When she is determined, she can play a physical game, too," Green said. "That really helps out. ? She can be adequate in both those areas, where some people cannot."

A new life

Piotrkiewicz originally signed to play at Xavier. Her mother Wieslawa played professional basketball, and that was the main reason the family relocated from Poland to France when Karolina was 6.

Her main motivation for coming to the United States was to play basketball at the highest collegiate level. Before her freshman year at Xavier, she was voted to the preseason Atlantic 10 all-rookie squad.

Soon after she signed with XU, head coach Melanie Balcomb left to take over at Vanderbilt. Piotrkiewicz hurt her knee in open gym before practice began in the fall and she gained a quick 25-30 pounds because she wasn't able to work out.

Trying to impress a new head coach as a freshman was difficult enough. Trying to get playing time after an injury was even worse.

"The coach told me I could stay if I wanted, but I wouldn't be playing much more," Piotrkiewicz said. "Since I didn't play much at all anyway, that was really disappointing for me."

Karyn Karlin, a former Liberty assistant coach, was in Europe and knew Wieslawa Piotrkiewicz. Karlin phoned Green to let him know that there was a pretty decent 6-3 forward looking to play college ball stateside.

By the time Green and Karolina spoke, she had already signed at Xavier. Still, Piotrkiewicz knew Liberty had some interest, and when it came time to transfer from Xavier, she knew Liberty would be a good fit.

"I felt like they let a pretty good ball player walk away," Green said.

Pained comeback

Smigelskaite was Liberty's top reserve last year before she tore her ACL with five games left in the season.

Her teammates' success in the Big South and NCAA tournaments provided some solace during her long rehab, but she clearly wanted to be on the floor with them.

Smigelskaite tried to rush back this season, thinking her knee was 100 percent healthy when it was really closer to 80 percent.

She "tweaked" the knee, and the setback kept her on the bench for most of the first half of the season.

She showed some life in Liberty's win against American, scoring seven points and grabbing three rebounds.

"From here on out, she's getting as much playing time as I can afford to give her," Green said.

"It's a green light for me to give it to her, and I'm going to see what she can do."
http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellit ... th=!sports
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Sate ... 8769382872

Flames center doubles production
By Chris Lang
Lynchburg News & Advance
January 18, 2006

Karolina Piotrkiewicz has more than doubled her scoring and rebounding averages from a year ago.
And even she admits that she wonders how much more lofty those numbers could be if she could convert a higher percentage of her layups.

The 6-foot-3 junior center is averaging 7.6 points and 7.7 rebounds per game, up from 3.0 points and 2.9 rebounds per game last year. But she's shooting just 37.7 percent from the floor, a precipitous drop from a 50 percent shooting percentage last year.

The problem is simple. Piotrkiewicz has had trouble finishing around the basket.

"I think she just has to focus," Flames coach Carey Green said. "She gets a little too excited and short-arms it. It's basically just anxiety."

Many times, Piotrkiewicz will find herself wide open underneath, but she has lacked the soft touch to finish her layups. Often, she's overshot the basket entirely.

If that improves, she could be a double-figure scorer in the post.

"A lot of times I'm just rushing and I'm not taking my time," Piotrkiewicz said. "At practice, it isn't much of an issue for me. It's just the games."
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
we may not be able to pronounce her name, but she stepped it up today in a nice win over WU.
(it may have been the dark knee socks)

Karolina Piotrkiewicz recorded a career high 16 points and 15 rebounds
in helping the Lady Flames to a 56-44 win over Winthrop on Saturday.

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Seems that's not the only thing she did:

Piotrkiewicz Named Big South Player of the Week

Liberty University women’s basketball player Karolina Piotrkiewicz has been named the Big South’s Choice Hotels Player of the Week, honoring the junior’s efforts against Coastal Carolina and Winthrop last week.

Piotrkiewicz (Jr., C, Calais, France) averaged 11.0 points per game and 12.5 rebounds per contest in helping the Lady Flames stay unbeaten in Big South play, while finishing the week shooting 50 percent from the field (9-of-18) and 67 percent from the free throw line (4-of-6).

She netted a game-high nine rebounds and added seven points against Coastal Carolina Monday, while recording three assists in Liberty’s 70-61 win over the Chanticleers. Piotrkiewicz scored a career-high 15 points on 6-of-11 shooting from the floor against Winthrop, while pulling down a career-high 16 rebounds for a double-double as the Lady Flames defeated the Lady Eagles, 56-44.

On the season, Piotrkiewicz is averaging 8.6 rebounds per game, which ranks her second in the Big South in the category, while averaging 8.1 points per games.
It is the first time in the junior’s career she has been named Big South Player of the Week.

Piotrkiewicz and the Lady Flames return to Big South Conference action Wednesday night when they travel to High Point to take on the Panthers for their first conference road game. Game time at the Millis Center is set for 7 p.m.
http://www.libertyflames.com/wbball/new ... ws_id=2979
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]