The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By krh44
Registration Days Posts
In the latest ESPN Coaches Poll we received 3 Votes which placed us ahead of VA Tech. Not bad for a team with no seniors and missing our star player.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
no kidding....I've caught some of our biggest supporters (not going to mention any names but this person dunked on midgets at ETSU...sorry little people) saying that we wont do that again in the near future....I say next year we will be TOUGH not to mention the 2 years after that.....but your right that's a great feat and it goes too often over looked b/c we've seen it so many times out of these girls not to mention how many to come....and I'm calling it now, we'll get within the top 15 within 3 years....some of you wont think that's a stretch and some will but we'll see
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:no kidding....I've caught some of our biggest supporters (not going to mention any names but this person dunked on midgets at ETSU...sorry little people) saying that we wont do that again in the near future....I say next year we will be TOUGH not to mention the 2 years after that.....but your right that's a great feat and it goes too often over looked b/c we've seen it so many times out of these girls not to mention how many to come....and I'm calling it now, we'll get within the top 15 within 3 years....some of you wont think that's a stretch and some will but we'll see
I agree with you HMO I believe that starting next year LU could potentially be a top 25 team and think of where we could be potentially 2 or so years from now.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I think top 15 is a stretch...being in the top 25 consistently is not however
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
well Atrain if we're Top 25 then in just a few key wins we'll be right at my goal....the only problem is b/c we're about the only team in the country that will win a game in their conf. yet still go down in the rankings not up...so our NCSOS will have to be around Top 5 which we've done before a few years ago
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Wow guys, pump the brakes a second. We have had top 25 votes and been in the top 25 before so that would not be ground breaking. HMO there is such a difference between the top 15 and the rest of the country in women's hoops. It is a much different than men's hoops. I am hoping for all the things you guys talk about our women accomplishing but I just know how tough that can be. Also you are right about the Big South bringing down your ranking. It took Gonzaga's men a few years of dominance to break into the top 10. I would be shocked if this year's team without its best player gets to the Sweet 16. Even with Megan it will be tough. 12 or 13 seeds don't get to the sweet 16 very often in women's basketball because they have to play one of those elite teams I spoke of in the first round.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Scar I agree, But I think Megan is someone that could take us to the top 15...the girl is special...but like I said I'm talkin her Sr. year and I'm not looking for much noise out of the tourny this or next year (although that would be subject to change considering a lot could happen next year)
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Wow guys, pump the brakes a second. We have had top 25 votes and been in the top 25 before so that would not be ground breaking. HMO there is such a difference between the top 15 and the rest of the country in women's hoops. It is a much different than men's hoops. I am hoping for all the things you guys talk about our women accomplishing but I just know how tough that can be. Also you are right about the Big South bringing down your ranking. It took Gonzaga's men a few years of dominance to break into the top 10. I would be shocked if this year's team without its best player gets to the Sweet 16. Even with Megan it will be tough. 12 or 13 seeds don't get to the sweet 16 very often in women's basketball because they have to play one of those elite teams I spoke of in the first round.
UM Scar looked what happened last season as a 13th seed. It is March Madness for crying out loud meaning anything can happen.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
But Critic you have to look at the makeup of this team as compared to last. Last year you had a dominating presence in the post in Katie, a very complimentary high post player that was deadly from 3 in Rima and 2 really good slashers in Daina and Kristal Tharp. Steady point play from Allyson Fascnacht was timely as well. My point is 1st they had everything you need to be successful and very few weaknesses. Second that team should not have been a 13 seed but because it was Liberty that is what it got. If they took the names off the front of the jerseys and just assested the groups, that team might have been a 6 or 7 seed. They were that good. My last point is that everything came together at the right time, talent, experience, determination and a real sense of urgency form 5 seniors plus young players that stepped up. Remember, before our run last year, most were complaining about our ladies losing in the first round every year on the old board. It was me who defended them back then saying that they were playing those dreaded top 10-15 teams every year and nobody other than one of their own top 15 peers would have a chance to beat them. When we got a decent draw, it finally happened. My whole overall point is having proper perspective. Even though we have unbridled enthusiasm about our Lady Flames, lets not lose an accurate perspective. If Carey Green gets this group (without Megan) to the Sweet 16, I will come on here and say he is the greatest coach of all time in any sport! That is how tough of a road I think it will be for this group to go that far. Guys, it is not easy to do what they did last year and we should keep that in mind instead of expecting jumps every year. Down the road though Liberty could be a consistent top 25 program though. We are close now I would agree with HMO in that regard.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Well put SCAR. I believe that by time Allison and company's class reaches the senior level, with a couple of quality recruiting classes we should be in the top 25 the majority of the year. Also, remember that the Big South is getting alot better. Granted, no team in their currently can come close to any national recognition at this point. Look at Gonzaga on the men's side. Noone will refute they are hands down the best team in their conference year in, year out. And look how much better the other teams in their conference has gotten. What the Lady Flames did last year, will not only bring in better players to LU but also better players into the conference.

By the time the Frazee's are seniors I could see us being in the top 15. I'm not saying it will be easy, obviously everything has to fall in place, but if we can keep this team in tact with no major injuries it can happen. I don't think being in the top 15 on a consistent basis is on the horizon, but being a consistent top 25 team with occasionally stints in the top 15 very well is!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'm with ya scar, I dont see it with this group...although we would have had an outside chance at a first round win with Meg's but still I think we're a few years away, but this class will make some noise before they leave here....Also as we all know it depends on if we bring in young talent to support the vet's in a few years....not to mention seeding in the tourny...who knows
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
If Liberty can pull a 12 seed, they play good enough defense to hang around with a 5 seed. If they got a 14 or 15 this year, they'd probably struggle quite a bit. The difference between Nos. 1-15 in the nation and Nos. 15-25 is pretty stark.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:I'm with ya scar, I dont see it with this group...although we would have had an outside chance at a first round win with Meg's but still I think we're a few years away, but this class will make some noise before they leave here....Also as we all know it depends on if we bring in young talent to support the vet's in a few years....not to mention seeding in the tourny...who knows
Speaking of young talent...we have already signed a post player from DC for next year...grades and SAT scores leave some eligibility issues, however. Would name drop, but then a certain someone might kill me...
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
OK ATrain, no name but what can you tell us?
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]