The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Coach Green won coach of the year, Allyson is on the 1st team and Roli was named the Defensive player of the year.. O'Dell was player of the year and Fann was freshemen of the year.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
that makes me feel good being that coach green won the coach of the year award.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Its also cool that voters looked past the numbers to give Allison 1st Team honors. I guess they couldn't completely ignore the dominant team in the conference on the 1st team.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Well you have to look at here conference numbers, ignore non-conference in my opinion... yes she is still the PG but her role has definitely changed and her scoring numbers are way up!!!!
Last edited by givemethemic on March 6th, 2006, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
And props to Moriah Frazee for being on the All-Freshman team
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Green, Nikagbatse Take Home Top Women’s Big South Basketball Awards
March 6, 2006 · Charlotte, N.C.

Liberty head coach Carey Green has been voted the 2005-06 Big South Conference Coach of the Year by the league’s head coaches, sports information directors and media panel, it was announced this morning by the conference office, while the voting panel voted Liberty sophomore forward Roli-Ann Nikagbatse as the league’s first-ever Women’s Basketball Defensive Player of the Year.

Green, who earned his third Big South Coach of the Year award, coached his Lady Flames to their ninth-straight Big South Women’s Basketball regular-season championship during the 2005-06 season. Liberty is currently second in the nation with a +12.1 rebounding margin, while holding opponents to just 34 percent from the floor to rank fourth. Liberty finished the season 13-1 in the Big South and 22-5 overall. The Lady Flames are currently on the country’s ninth-longest winning streak, winning their last 11 games and will play their Big South Basketball Tournament games at home where they are 12-0 this season. Green notched 14 first place votes and finished with 55 points ahead of runner-up Winthrop’s Bud Childers with seven first place votes and 43 points.

Nikagbatse receives the Conference’s first-ever Defensive Player of the Year Award. The 5-9 forward recorded a steal in 22 games this season, notching 10 multiple steal games. Her 1.46 steals per game average ranked among theleague leaders and she was a key part in holding teams to just 34 percent from the floor this season.

Also receiving recognition for their efforts this season were Liberty’s Allyson Fasnacht and Moriah Frazee.

Fasnacht earned first team all-conference honors, as well as being named to the all-academic team. The 2004-05 Big South All-Freshman honoree really stepped up her game and leadership after the Lady Flames lost leading scorer and rebounder, Megan Frazee. During Frazee’s absence, Fasnacht led the team offensively, scoring 10.3 points per game and dished out 2.9 assists, while connecting on 82.1 percent from the free throw line.

Frazee concluded her first regular season in the Big South with earning a spot on the Big South All-Freshman team. Frazee finished the regular season as the team’s second leading scorer, as the freshman averaged 8.1 points per game, while pulling down 5.4 rebounds per contest.

For the first time in three seasons somebody other than Katie Feenstra was honored as the Big South Player of the Year as High Point’s Katie O’Dell received that honor.

Joining Fasnacht and O’Dell on the first team were Winthrop’s Iva Milevoj, Radford’s Sarah Stephens and UNC Asheville’s Kristal Hood.

Taking home the top academic award in the Big South was Leslie Cook of High Point as she was named the 2005-06 Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

2005-06 Big South Conference Women’s Basketball Award Winners

First-team All-Conference
Katie O’Dell, High Point
Sarah Stephens, Radford
Allyson Fasnacht, Liberty
Kristal Hood, UNC Asheville
Iva Milevoj, Winthrop

Second-team All-Conference
Kim Turner, Coastal Carolina
Stacey Anthony, Birmingham-Southern
Ashley Fann, Winthrop
Alisha Dill, Coastal Carolina
Katie Ralls, High Point

All-Freshman Team
Ashley Fann, Winthrop
Moriah Frazee, Liberty
Johnette Walker, Radford
Tiffany Rodd, Winthrop
Ashley Thornton, Birmingham-Southern

Academic All-Conference
Reba Ross, Birmingham-Southern
Erica McCoy, Charleston Southern
Amber Rose, Coastal Carolina
Leslie Cook, High Point
Allyson Fasnacht, Liberty
Shavon Earp, Radford
Ashton Barton, UNC Asheville
Iva Milevoj, Winthrop

Player of the Year
Katie O’Dell, High Point

Defensive Player of the Year
Roli-Ann Nikagbatse, Liberty

Freshman of the Year
Ashley Fann, Winthrop

Coach of the Year
Carey Green, Liberty

Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Leslie Cook, High Point
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Too bad Megan didn't stay healthy because she would have definitely been freshman and player of the year. I see no reason for her not to be the favorite the next 3 years barring any injury of course. That would mean that she could have won player of the year 4 times! That's better than Katie! Oh well, wasn't meant to be. I think the team will be better in the long run for it though. I hope and pray Megan will fully recover! Go Lady Flames!
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
So far she is well ahead of schedule in terms of her recovery. I talked to one of her sisters yesterday and that is what she told me. I saw megan at the game vs Radford and she is walking without crutches but still has some limp to her step.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Thanks. That is some good news to hear.
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]