The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
the man deserves his own thread- whether he'd ever admit that or not- and you know he won't.

here's a nice piece by CHRIS on Coach and the job he's done. I know there's more out there.

http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellit ... th=!sports

Green's gang still Big South's elite team
By Chris Lang
Lynchburg News & Advance
March 4, 2006

By all accounts, this was supposed to be the year Liberty's dominating run through the Big South women's basketball ranks ended.
Not only did Flames coach Carey Green have to replace four starters, including a first-round WNBA draft pick, but he had to hold off a deep and talented High Point team ready to supplant Liberty at the top of the conference standings.

Then, Green's task got even more daunting. Freshman Megan Frazee, the Big South's leading scorer and rebounder, suffered a season-ending knee injury two games into the conference season.

Yet as Liberty prepares for today's regular-season finale at Vines Center against third-place Radford, nothing has changed.

Liberty clinched its ninth straight regular-season league title last weekend and will win the league by at least two games once again.

The Flames are predicted to be a No. 13 seed in the upcoming NCAA tournament by two Web sites. They've hit the 20-win mark for the fifth straight season. They entered this week ranked No. 50 in the RPI. Next week, Liberty will look to extend its streak of 25 consecutive Big South tournament wins to 28 and earn its 10th straight trip to the NCAA tournament.

The expected drop off hasn't occurred, evidence that Green has done his finest coaching job ever this season.

"I don't know who's going to get coach of the year, but he certainly deserves it," said Birmingham-Southern coach Brad Hodge, whose Panthers fell 60-47 to the Flames on Monday. "I don't know how many coach of the year awards he's received, but this is definitely the best job he's done."

At Big South media day in Charlotte in October, Green had few answers to key questions about his team. Who would replace Katie Feenstra? (No one, she's irreplaceable). Who will be the go-to scorer? (Time will tell). Which of the many rookies will shine? (Well, that Megan Frazee is pretty doggone good.)

The Flames entered the season without a senior and with a roster loaded with freshmen and sophomores. Just when Green and his staff started to figure things out, Frazee got hurt, and the Flames had to start over.

Liberty had just one game to adjust before playing a crucial game at High Point. The Flames gutted through a tough home win against Winthrop but predictably struggled through a 64-55 loss at HPU.

That loss seemed to re-energize and refocus the Flames, who have rattled off 10 straight wins. They went 9-1 during a brutal stretch in which they played eight of 10 games on the road. And while the offense struggled to find an identity, Green focused on getting his team to play staunch, hard-nosed defense.

That mentality doesn't always come easy to young players. Many times, freshmen want to score to prove their worth to the team.

Green took the opposite tact. Defense and rebounding would be rewarded. It was a shock to the system for some.

"I've never known a coach who emphasizes rebounding so much, and I like that," freshman guard Rachel Hammond said. "At first, you're like, 'man, he's crazy!' But in the end, it really pays off.

"We don't just emphasize things. We work on them in practice continually. We've worked on some drills that I've never worked on before with any other coach. He's a very good fundamentals coach. He wants to win, he wants to win big and he wants to win hard with rebounding, rebounding, rebounding."

Green has added to his resume this season. He's now the Big South's all-time winningest women's basketball coach. He remains in the top 20 nationally in career winning percentage, a rarified air occupied by big names like Auriemma, Summitt, Hatchell and Sharp.

There's a reason Clemson was throwing all that money at Green after the Flames' run to the Sweet 16 last year.

Green, a folksy sort who would rather deflect credit than receive it, did just that after Monday's game. He commended the work done by assistant coaches Kelley Deyo, Heather Stephens and Olaf Lange, each having played key roles in Liberty's successful season.

"I just sort of pinch myself and step back," Green said. "I do recognize how blessed I've been. ? The (coaching staff) I've got now is as good as any in the country.

"Then you look at this young talent, and they're so exciting to work with, it sort of picks me back up and gives me energy points. ? We're young, and we're only going to get better."
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Great piece by Chris as usual. Exactly how I've felt the past month or 2
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
i heard there was never a true "offer" made by clemson so i dont' know truly how much $$$ they were throwing at him. Since we are a non-profit though at the end of every year we can find out what he is making.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
From information I have received (which has been several reliable sources) Coach Green was very close to accepting a legit offer from Clemson until "higher" authority stepped in and gave him whatever he wanted.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Only Carey and his closest friends and family know exactly how the whole thing went down and it really isn't important now. He is, and has always, bought in to the ministry here at Liberty and is in touch with the mission statement as much or more than any employee on the mountain.

We also need to applaud the Kelly Deyos and Heather Stevens as well and our newest addition Olaf Lange. Kelly for one turned down offers to stay here and like the rest of the staff is sold out on what this school and team is all about. The husbands and wives are also a big part in that as well.

Any Christian coach at any Christian school in the country should use this staff as a model of how to do things right... on the court and off.
Last edited by fsn32 on March 6th, 2006, 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By absturgill
Registration Days Posts
Right on FSN32. When SCAR and I met up to see Katie at MCI Center. we ran into Coach Green and Kelly Deyo getting off the subway at the arena. Both of them are class acts and we are very fortunate and blessed to have them.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
I think it does matter as a whole because Clemson in the end was the school that drove up our price tag. I sat in more than a few meetings with Coach Green in the past and i know what he wanted then, and couldn't get, so i am sure he got it now. I am very happy for him and the team. However most assistants in the end are going to eventually want to be Head Coaches and i hope that staying here will earn them just that in the future.

FSN32, i agree with you on most points but be careful you can seperate radio from business. You see one side of the story and i saw another and its not easy to get the check book opened at Liberty as we all are aware. ( While some may take this as some pot-shot, its really not so lets not blow it out of proportion)
While your opinion on the Mission statement thing is fine, your opinion is a bit biased considering thats the team you work very closely with and have been for years. I am just saying you got to be objective about it and realize that your stated opinion says " more than any employee on the mountain".
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:I think it does matter as a whole because Clemson in the end was the school that drove up our price tag. I sat in more than a few meetings with Coach Green in the past and i know what he wanted then, and couldn't get, so i am sure he got it now. I am very happy for him and the team. However most assistants in the end are going to eventually want to be Head Coaches and i hope that staying here will earn them just that in the future.

FSN32, i agree with you on most points but be careful you can seperate radio from business. You see one side of the story and i saw another and its not easy to get the check book opened at Liberty as we all are aware. ( While some may take this as some pot-shot, its really not so lets not blow it out of proportion)
While your opinion on the Mission statement thing is fine, your opinion is a bit biased considering thats the team you work very closely with and have been for years. I am just saying you got to be objective about it and realize that your stated opinion says " more than any employee on the mountain".
If that's not a pot shot at Carey Green and what he believes in than I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take it.

If you re read what I said, the quote was "is in touch with the mission statement as much or more than any employee on the mountain." You left off a little part of that... obviously the part that made your point a bit weaker.

But to be honest, I don't really know what your point is. Are you saying he stayed because of the money? He isn't as ministry minded as I am making him out to be? That becuase I'm around the team a lot, I am LESS able to see the true character of a man? He did something underhanded to get the "check book" open?

I really don't follow where you are going with this and how it is pertinent on a thread talking about his great accomplishement as Coach of the Year. Please explain.
Last edited by fsn32 on March 6th, 2006, 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:However most assistants in the end are going to eventually want to be Head Coaches and i hope that staying here will earn them just that in the future.
I went back and read your post again and I don't know what this statement has to do with anything. You really lost me on this one, Rocketman.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:i heard there was never a true "offer" made by clemson so i dont' know truly how much $$$ they were throwing at him. Since we are a non-profit though at the end of every year we can find out what he is making.
That right there my friends is INSSIDDEE INFORRRMATTION!!!!!

Coach played his cards better than the Texas Dolly could have played them...and it seemed like everything just fell into place....Dr. Park came in right when all these negotiations were taking place, and he thought that if he could resign him it would be his stamp on his LU Legacy (which I guess it was) but talks down there state that it was a known fact that they wanted a female coach the entire time....the world will never know but MADD PROPS for Coach for maxing out and maybe even getting more than if it was a known fact that Clemson wanted to go into a different direction....either way LU is lucky to be able to keep a coach

Also some credit should go to Art Williams for stepping having a big say in the process as well...it's nice to see him interested in all aspects of our sports not just Football like some would be led to believe
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Art Williams is the man. Period.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Carey Green is one of the most down to earth people I have ever met. The man has a level of humility that we should all aspire to.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
LU should be thankful to have someone like Carey Green. He has built a consident top notch program and does it the right way om all aspects. Like I said before LU should do everything in their power to keep him there. He is able to recruit top talent and knows how to get everyone on the team involved in the team's success. He is a credit to the coaching profession.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Whenever Carey goes up against Jeri Porter at Radford, you're going to be hard pressed to find two better PEOPLE coaching against each other. I really enjoy dealing with Porter, who is one of the most candid and intelligent interviews among coaches I've ever dealt with.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I have known Jeri for a long time and she is one of my favorite people in the whole world. Her and Teresa Bream were 2 female athletes at Liberty that I really admired. Jeri didn't even play at Liberty her first couple of years but when she did she made her mark. Teresa was a great volleyball player and I think she ended up playing one season of hoops. Great people though for sure....It is hard not to pull for Jeri Porter's teams even though she is at hated Radford. There definitely was a chess match going on down on the sidelines on Saturday. You get the feeling that Radford will keep getting better recruits with her as coach and will one day compete with Liberty. I know that is a short term goal of hers that she thinks will happen.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
So what you are saying about the whole mission statement is .....that Carey Green is more " in touch" than Elmor Towns or Mr. Caner.....you said every employee and honestly there is no way for you to know that, lets just be honest. Even if we just kept that to athletics there is no way for you to know that since you dont' have constant interaction with every team. Its just not very objective.

What i am saying is we paid him a lot of money, which he earned, but more $$$ to this program could result in cuts somewhere else. I have seen how tight finances can be with all athletics first hand. I mean the $$$ has got to be coming from somewhere, right? I didn't say the Coach did anything wrong or underhanded, i am reiterating that he played this poker hand like he had the Royal flush and got all he could out of it( whether or not he acutally had it, only he knows). - i heard the exact same thing Hold My Own did.

While its great to see his assistants stayed this year and didn't leave else where, eventually ( sooner rather than later) they are probably going to be offered more $$$ and a chance to be coaches elsewhere. I was just stating don't get used to that because its the exception rather than the rule of thumb around here. Most coaches don't hang around to long becuase they get offered multiple oppurtunties elsewhere, a credit to there hardwork. You congradulated them and so did i, i was just saying you never know where the next offer may come from.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
hoo boy- ROCKET I need to send you a care package of Tastykakes and Wawa coffee.

we were just trying to send congrats to Coach for a great regular season despite some serious setbacks!

after all the coach-bashing we've been doing for the last year (+) its nice to be able to congratulate someone, along w/ Coach Tolsma, of course.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Also don't forget that Chris Carroll did leave to go to the Richmond Spiders! He and I still keep in touch. His team is struggling this season but they did beat a top 25 team in Temple a couple of weeks ago....Coach Green did what anyone would do in his situation and what anyone should do. One thing we know for sure is that he has done a great job here. I hope he stays for a long time like some of these other successful women's coaches have done at a higher level.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Rocket, No cuts were made else where...Williams stepped up

As far as the $$$$ goes, yeah they gave him more than was needed to keep him here...but everyone up on the mtn understands the $$$$ that last year brought this school....maybe not as much this year as much as in the future with recruits who were introduced to LU for the first time on ESPN...man you got heated there!
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:So what you are saying about the whole mission statement is .....that Carey Green is more " in touch" than Elmor Towns or Mr. Caner.....you said every employee and honestly there is no way for you to know that, lets just be honest. Even if we just kept that to athletics there is no way for you to know that since you dont' have constant interaction with every team. Its just not very objective.

What i am saying is we paid him a lot of money, which he earned, but more $$$ to this program could result in cuts somewhere else. I have seen how tight finances can be with all athletics first hand. I mean the $$$ has got to be coming from somewhere, right? I didn't say the Coach did anything wrong or underhanded, i am reiterating that he played this poker hand like he had the Royal flush and got all he could out of it( whether or not he acutally had it, only he knows). - i heard the exact same thing Hold My Own did.

While its great to see his assistants stayed this year and didn't leave else where, eventually ( sooner rather than later) they are probably going to be offered more $$$ and a chance to be coaches elsewhere. I was just stating don't get used to that because its the exception rather than the rule of thumb around here. Most coaches don't hang around to long becuase they get offered multiple oppurtunties elsewhere, a credit to there hardwork. You congradulated them and so did i, i was just saying you never know where the next offer may come from.
I said "as much or more" than anyone... and I will stand by that. Maybe the "or more" part upset you so I will just use the "as much" part. Sit in on a devotion with the team, or see the ministry taking place at these team functions, or heaven forbid, but if your father gets sick as mine did, see how the coaching staff and players constantly comfort you with emails, cards and reminders of the fact that you are in their prayers.

I think I am more than qualified to say that Carey is in touch with the Mission Statement here. There are a lot of other people that are too, and your right I'm not around everyone, but I would put Carey right up there with anyone else at the top of the list. You said that it wasn't very "objective" for me to give these compliments... but the last time I checked this is an opinion message board not a doctoral dissertation... so I didn't think that my opinions about the character of a man would come under fire. I am just baffled why this is such a sticking point with you... so much that you are trying to take the focus away from a thread congratulating him.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan I suggest you not make anymore assumptions that are negative about coach green in this thread. Are you around the program like FSN32 has I dont think so.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
:: cough :: :: cough :: umm, yeah... :: cough:: excuse me... Yeah... umm...

For the record...
1. I'm glad coach Green is here.
2. I'm estatic to know that he hasn't gone anywhere else even when he could have done so (regardless of Clemson's desire... his team went to the sweet 16 last year, I think he could get a job just about anywhere at this point)
3. I'm very glad that he got paid. He deserves the paper! Give him the cash. Show him the money! The dude just became the winningest coach in BSC history. I think the dude deserves his jack.

Frankly, I don't believe his integrity should be called into question over how much dinero he was given. The fact is... Christians who are great at what they do will be paid in our society and people like coach Green will actually continue to HELP LU change it's long-held view that working there is ministry and deserves less pay. That may have been a nice line when the school was 50 million in debt... but not any more. If LU is to blossom once the Williams' and Dr. Falwell enter Heaven, we have to become world-class when it comes to taking care of our professors and the rest of the staff. This has nothing to do with mission statements... he's a fine man and we all should applaud him getting paid.

One of the old-school things was for people on the mountain who were loaded to say "I don't get paid from the ministry...." when people complained of getting underpaid. Sure they may not get paid from the ministry but they are business owners and they get their dough from other places. For those who work at LU or TRBC as their full-time employment, we have to pay them base pay equal to people in similar positions and above that in proportion to what they bring back into the University/Ministry.

Carey Green should continue to get the green!
Last edited by TallyW on March 7th, 2006, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
Well worded TallyW and I agree totally.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
You know LU has even changed when it comes to Professors getting paid...I'll never forget the time a friend and myself got into a debate and he even went as far as to say that LU is stealing from the Profs from under paying them so much acting like they are handcuffed to that contract after a year is up....but here is where I know we've gotten better....I know of 5 Profs off the top of my head that left LU thinking the grass may be greener and yet they all came back within 3 years....that is a good sign, while LU still cant compare to top schools the pay has gotten so much better (not to mention Lynchburg was a top 5 cheapest places to live at one time)...so they have gotten better when it comes to taking care of their people

Not to mention things people don't see...I could give you HUNDREDS of examples of people that retired or left LU and yet JF would keep them on payroll for quite some time for being such a faithful employee and accepting only what LU was able to give for so long....these are the things the general public will never get to see, but its happened and still is happening today

also, I know it's kind of a odd thing to think about but I'll just see if it makes sense to anyone else other than myself....if Profs had some sort of rating system I promise you that the profs in the top 10% will be making some serious loot, and much to Coach Greens pleasure DI basketball does have a rating system (several) that schools can justify the pay with
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:You know LU has even changed when it comes to Professors getting paid...I'll never forget the time a friend and myself got into a debate and he even went as far as to say that LU is stealing from the Profs from under paying them so much acting like they are handcuffed to that contract after a year is up....but here is where I know we've gotten better....I know of 5 Profs off the top of my head that left LU thinking the grass may be greener and yet they all came back within 3 years....that is a good sign, while LU still cant compare to top schools the pay has gotten so much better (not to mention Lynchburg was a top 5 cheapest places to live at one time)...so they have gotten better when it comes to taking care of their people

Not to mention things people don't see...I could give you HUNDREDS of examples of people that retired or left LU and yet JF would keep them on payroll for quite some time for being such a faithful employee and accepting only what LU was able to give for so long....these are the things the general public will never get to see, but its happened and still is happening today

also, I know it's kind of a odd thing to think about but I'll just see if it makes sense to anyone else other than myself....if Profs had some sort of rating system I promise you that the profs in the top 10% will be making some serious loot, and much to Coach Greens pleasure DI basketball does have a rating system (several) that schools can justify the pay with
I have heard of that happening on several occasions but that is still the exception not the rule. The greates lure LU has in recruiting prof. is the free college education at a private school. That is huge. Unfortunately, it does not always mean that the bi - monthly(Can I say bi?0 pay checks are great.
I LOVE the fact the Coach Green is making "real" money. The Sweet 16 is/was/will be one of if not the greatest accomplishments at LU in athletics. I also know that this is not a zero sum equation. Just b/c CG got a nice boost doesn't mean the Plant Operations administrative staff took a pay cut. What will be nice, and this is when LU will make INCREDIBLE strides, is when EVERYONE is paid what they are worth. There is still way too much "but this is a ministry" going on.

PROPS TO COACH GREEN FOR A GREAT YEAR. I would even say better then last year!
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be betwee[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]