The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
PROPS TO COACH GREEN FOR A GREAT YEAR. I would even say better then last year!
As far as him coaching, it was a much better job than last year!
The Sweet 16 is/was/will be one of if not the greatest accomplishments at LU in athletics.
I would like to believe that that run the girls made (though it is the greatest accomplishment to this point of any team sport) will be only a stepping stone to what this University will do in the future.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Although it is nice to set our goals high, having our girls in the sweet 16 was something that will be difficult to duplicate. I think it can and will happen again for them (maybe not this year). I don't know how we can say this year is better than last when we ended last on national TV and in the national spotlight. Lets see how far we get this year and then we can compare.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Obviously, this thread has gotten hijacked, to an extent. If it is in someone's heart to "get their's" elsewhere, then so be it. If it is in LU's heart to fairly compensate a coach that has done much, athletically and spiritually, to enhance the school, then so be it. Coach should not be criticized for astute negociations to remain at the school. Neither should be professors expect to stay if consistently paid way below "market value," unless remaining part of Liberty is in their heart. Many professors that leave may get compensated more elsewhere, but look at the lives they can touch at other schools, particularly secular school. That, my friends, is going forth with the great commission. I just don't buy (OK, I'll SELL IT) Liberty paying employees less just becuase "its a ministry."
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Its Buy...or SELLLL! Tony, Im buying this one. A.G. is right, people have the right to seek career advancement be it financially or otherwise. We can touch lives in a secular place particularly when you have a captive audience for a few hours each day. Liberty has come a long way in their paying professors and such but they have a long way to go from what I hear. (How many points do I get for this? Am I in the Showdown? Do I get 30 seconds of face time?).
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i agree with SCAR. going to school with her, and now seeing her develop into a pretty good coach, i certainly pull for her except for when she is coaching against the flames!
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
3 point answer. Scar--30 seconds are your's. Not quite the Ladande Lounge, but I guess it'll do.
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
A.G. wrote:Obviously, this thread has gotten hijacked, to an extent. If it is in someone's heart to "get their's" elsewhere, then so be it. If it is in LU's heart to fairly compensate a coach that has done much, athletically and spiritually, to enhance the school, then so be it. Coach should not be criticized for astute negociations to remain at the school. Neither should be professors expect to stay if consistently paid way below "market value," unless remaining part of Liberty is in their heart. Many professors that leave may get compensated more elsewhere, but look at the lives they can touch at other schools, particularly secular school. That, my friends, is going forth with the great commission. I just don't buy (OK, I'll SELL IT) Liberty paying employees less just becuase "its a ministry."
IT must be the dark side........
Let's also not forget the guilt trip that is laid on employees when they leave. People love to hang "leaving the ministry" guilt trip. All I know is Ministry and Money both start w/ "M" so show me some of both!! J/k
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
You gotta admit they don't use that "It's a ministry" much anymore....not like they used to
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:You gotta admit they don't use that "It's a ministry" much anymore....not like they used to
No I don't. (It must be the dark side) :D
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
You need to stop sippin on that Hater-o-ade that AG keeps passin around!

They really dont man!

Ohhh and ask AG who started him on this whole dark side thing....LoL
By Bronx Bombers
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan - So what you are saying about the whole mission statement is .....that Carey Green is more " in touch" than Elmor Towns or Mr. Caner.....you said every employee and honestly there is no way for you to know that, lets just be honest. Even if we just kept that to athletics there is no way for you to know that since you dont' have constant interaction with every team. Its just not very objective.
I have been reading on this board for a long time, but have never been one to post. However, I believe this time my opinion is warranted. I must say that RocketFan is completely out of line here. I would challenge that you have no real information as to the inner workings of the women's basketball team and especially Coach Green and for you to make comments towards FSN like to do is completely ridiculous. One fact to keep in mind here is that there are two, and only two people, who have been with Coach Green as a part of the program since he arrived in 1999. Those two people are FSN and myself.

Let me first say that obviously, and his records bears this, Coach Green is a great strategist. He is maybe the best I have ever seen at using circumstances to benefit his team. In the case of the Clemson situation last year, his team was defined as his assistant coaches. If anyone is curious to know why he is not at Clemson right now, it is because Clemson was not willing to take care of the assistants the way he demanded. He realizes that the head coach gets all the credit, but was not willing to let his assistants be taken advantage of while he receives all the credit in every form. The whole situation had nothing to do w/ Coach Green using the Clemson situation to better his own standing at Liberty as Hold My Own alleges. I assure you CG would never do that, as we are then bordering on deception and in affect stealing. It would be dumb to say that CG has not benefited himself from the team's success, but his first priority has always been to make sure his assistants are paid fairly and that was the main focus after the Sweet 16.

In further response to RocketFan, let me challenge you to read the mission statement of the Lady Flames. http://www.libertyflames.com/wbball/page.asp?page_id=16 This was written by CG himself and is lived out in every aspect of the program. CG is first a man of God who considers his first responsibility to be an example to his team. FSN, you are absolutely correct that there is not a person who is sold out more to the purpose and mission of Liberty University than Carey Green. RocketFan, say what you want about that statement, but it is not possible to be sold out more than 100% and that is what CG is. I'm not saying that there aren't more people on campus that are committed in the same way, but CG views his job as a ministry to young people. This view is not unlike another quite famous college basketball coach, Mike Krzyzskewski -- who I have had the pleasure to meet and have one-on-one conversations with. Coach K views himself first as a leader, and says himself that he just happens to coach basketball. In the talks I have had with him, I was amazed at the similarities between him and CG. I assure you that CG's first concern has always been and will always be the individuals who he has the opportunity to coach. Success on the court is secondary to that initial goal, and I can tell you all that dollars do not even come close to the top 10 reasons Carey Green is at Liberty University.
Last edited by Bronx Bombers on March 10th, 2006, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Please understand I have never once and wont say anything negative about CG...all I ment was he had the feeling of what direction they wanted to go yet still went down for interviews (which he should have done and EVERYONE on the board would have done) and with that LU felt more pressure therefore it worked out great for CG, that's why I give him props
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
this is turned into one ridiculous mess. I think the original point was:

CONGRATS TO COACH GREEN!

if some of you guys were scrutinized like this you'd hang yourselves.

oh, and wecome BB (even if you ARE a Yanks fan). It was high time someone replaced Brokeback as "newest registered user"
By Bronx Bombers
Registration Days Posts
I do what I can, if me signing on takes the flamer off the forefront than all the better for this board. ;) Also, my intent was to clear the air on the whole Clemson situation with as much information as I felt necessary to do so. This is a board to congratulate CG on his accomplishments and I wanted to make sure we dispose of the money talk. On a further note, I would agree w/ Brokeback that up to this point, compared to this point last year we are actually having a better season. We don't have the marquee KSU win, but there are no bad losses and HPU being up there has helped us a ton! It will be interesting if we get that MSU pairing in Chi-town because lurking in that round of 32 game will be DePaul!!!!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for going ahead and registering, BB. And I agree that this discussion of Coach Green is silly. He's a fantastic coach and we're fortunate to have him.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I think this is his best coaching job while being at LU....he doesnt have the horses to just say go win one for me....there's a TON of strategies going into these game plans

I think he could take a local high school team like EC Glass to a state title in 1 year! We wont ever do better than this man!
Last edited by Hold My Own on March 9th, 2006, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan needs to keep it shut concerning Coach Green. Congratulations to CG.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
This is a fantastic coach and today was a fantastic coaching job!

This entire season has been one challenge after another and coach Green keeps leading us to victory! Great job coach!
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Coach Green just keeps showing us LU fans as to why he is so great of a coach. LU was down by 9 at the half and playing absolutely awful. Unfortunatly I missed the second half of the game due to family committments and I really wasn't too surprised to seeing us pull it off when the score flashed across the ESPN ticker. So we were able to keep our dynasty alive for yet another season thanks to Coach Greens leadership and ability to make adjustment and come though in clutch situations. I hope that LU gets at least a 12 seed this year due to the conferences improved RPI and last year's success but you never know.

By the way High Point deserves at least an NIT berth for the season they had. That would also help our cause.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
HP has an outside chance of making it to the WNIT. I hope we at least be no lower than a 12 seed.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
somehow- I don't think he EVER gets tired of doing this!

Head Coach Carey Green improved to 21-0 all-time
in the Big South Women’s Basketball Championship
and earned his seventh-straight title.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
I know I don't get tired of seeing him do that. I liked the way after the game, he let the team have the spotlight and accept the trophy. He seems to me to be a very humble coach.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
The only thing he's not humble in is Hunting and Fishing! :lol:
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]