The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
70-61 LU Wins
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
It was definately not our A game. I thought that Coastal wasn't that bad, certainly improved from previous years. Hustled and played hard until the end. Impressed with Courtney Watkins, Leslie Jones, and Molly Frazee with solid play on both ends. It took a while to get over the loss of Megan and hopefully she can return soon. They said the injury was not real serious but I will wait and see.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I talked to a couple people on press row after the game and they are saying she twisted her knee. She was walking around during the second half after they did a lot of icing to it but they didn't put her back in for safety reasons even though she wanted to get in. She might be able to go on Saturday, but the next couple days will be a big indicator of that.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Not pretty but a win is a win.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
She seemed to be in a lot of pain when she went down and needed assistance but then was walking around and doing sprints. Hopefullly that was an encouraging sign of her return.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
They showed her having the inside of her knee iced during the second half.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
I am glad we won. I wasn't able to make it to the game but I got some updates from SCAR. SCAR thank you. It was good to see people step up and play without Megan. Hopefully that injury is not serious.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Interesting game to say none the least... Another slow start tonight, but once again Rachel Hammond came in and gave us another quick spark. We are pretty banged up right now... Jamie is still not a 100% and because it is a muscle injury some days will be better than others, Roli is still battling a groin injury and really is not 100%, Egle was a little bit gimpy when she fell on her left knee and didn't come back for the rest of the 2nd half after she hit it. Megan is kinda up in the air she got pushed while she was shooting a lay up and she kinda fell awkardly... she was able to walk behind the bench some a few minutes later... since the team doesn't have another game till Saturday Coach was not even going to think about risking it. The girls will have a light practice tomorrow and then have Wednesday off partially cause it is the first day back for classes. When Megan went down we were up by 8 and then won by 9. This was a really good test tonight for us had we shot anything close to what we did at the FT line on Saturday this is easily a 15 point win. Radford is now 2-0 as well having beaten CCU on Sat night and beating CSU tonight. Should be a pretty good game when we both meet up both teams could possibly undefeated. Now I am tired of typing.. I will shead more insight tomorrow. With that just givemethemic.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Missed the game due to a previously scheduled meeting at work. Good to hear the rest of the team stepped it up a notch when the big girl went down, lets hope its not a serious sprain or worse. Good teams win the ones they are supposed to win- sometimes ya gotta grind it out.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Team Effort Lifts Lady Flames Over Chanticleers
January 16, 2006 · Lynchburg, Va.

The Lady Flames lost leading scorer Megan Frazee in the opening minutes of the second half, but the rest of the squad stepped up in her absence and lifted Liberty to a 70-61 Big South victory over visiting Coastal Carolina, Monday evening, at the Vines Center.

With the victory, the Lady Flames start the conference season with a 2-0 record (10-4 overall), marking the sixth-straight season that Liberty has started league action 2-0. After winning six-straight heading into their northern conference swing, Coastal Carolina drops its second straight to start league play with an 0-2 record (9-4 overall).

Liberty scored the first five points of the contest and held Coastal Carolina scoreless over the first four-plus minutes of action as the Chanticleers didn’t get on the scoreboard until Calisha Yates connected on a lay-up at the 15:29 mark.

But the basket started a 17-4 run for Coastal Carolina as a three-pointer by Amber Rose with 11:45 left to play in the opening period gave the Chanticleers an eight-point lead, 17-9. However, Liberty responded with a run of its own as the Lady Flames scored 12 of the game’s next 14 points and regained the lead on a three-pointer by Molly Frazee (Fr., G, Xenia) at the 8:25 mark.

Over the next four minutes, Coastal Carolina slowly regained the lead and extended its advantage to four points, 28-24, on a jumper by Yates with 4:12 left before the break. But Liberty would hold the visitors to just one more point over the rest of the half and closed the period on a 11-1 run that was capped by a Rachel Hammond (Fr., G, Clearwater, Fla.) three-pointer with 31 seconds to give Liberty a 35-29 edge at the break.

After a pair of Courtney Watkins’ (So., G, Bristol, Tenn.) free throws at the 18:14 mark, Megan Frazee (Fr., G, Xenia, Ohio) collected a defensive rebound off a missed attempt by Rose; however, the reigning Big South Player of the Week, who came into the game averaging 19.2 points and 9.3 rebounds per game, came down wrong on her left leg, tweaking her knee which sent her to the sidelines for the rest of the game.

Coastal Carolina took advantage of Liberty’s leader being on the bench as the Chanticleers closed the gap to three points, 40-37, on a jumper by Kim Turner with 15:45 left to play. But, the Lady Flames responded and scored five-straight points on lay-ups by Watkins and Karolina Piotrkiewicz (Jr., F, Calais, France) and a free throw by Roli-Ann Nikagbatse (So., G/F, Berlin, Gerlin) to open up an eight points lead, 45-37 with 11:09 left to play.

Coastal Carolina was able to trim the lead back to as few as six points on two separate occasions over the final 11 minutes, including a Turner lay-up with 6:26 left to play, 51-45, but that would be as close as the Chanticleers would get as Liberty slowly extended its margin to as much as 12 points before settling for the final nine-point victory.

All but two of the 13 players that saw playing time for Liberty found the scoring column with Watkins tying a career high with 12 points, which was aided by a 6-of-8 outing at the line, while Moriah Frazee (Fr., G, Xenia, Ohio) also netted 12 points on 5-of-8 shooting from the field.

Coastal Carolina had three players finish in double figures with Rose leading the way with a game-high 19 points on 6-of-12 shooting from the field and a perfect 5-of-5 from the line. Turner followed with 14 points and nine rebounds, while Demaria Young came off the bench to score 11 points.

The Lady Flames will close out a five-game homestand when they host Birmingham-Southern on Saturday in the Vines Center at 2 p.m., while Coastal Carolina returns to action on Saturday as well as they host Winthrop at Kimbel Arena at 2 p.m.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellit ... th=!sports

LU notches Big South win No. 2
By Chris Lang
Lynchburg News & Advance
January 17, 2006

The franchise was on the floor, rolling in pain. Suddenly, it seemed like the game didn't even matter.
That's how important Megan Frazee has become to Liberty women's basketball in just four months. And when she hit the floor after tangling for a rebound in the second half, time seemed to stop at the Vines Center.

Sister Moriah dropped to the floor to check on her injured sister, who was led off the floor by team athletic trainers. Megan limped away with what is initially being called a twisted left knee, but she didn't play again. The Flames survived without her, beating Coastal Carolina 70-61 Monday night, but just about everybody had one gnawing question afterward:

How's Megan's knee?

"I think it'll be OK," said Megan, the Big South's leading scorer and rebounder. "Initially, I was in some pain. But it's subsided now."

Liberty coach Carey Green said he'll know more about Megan's condition after a light practice today. He was encouraged that there wasn't a tremendous amount of swelling in the knee. Severe swelling can indicate a ligament tear in a knee.

Soon after leaving the game, Megan got up and walked from the bench to the tunnel leading to the locker rooms, trying to loosen the knee. After she returned to the bench, she pointed to the outside of the knee and trainers wrapped it in ice.

She finished with nine points and eight rebounds.

"She probably would have gone back out there tonight," Green said. "But why risk it at this point in time? To put her back out there would have been a big gamble."

When Megan went out, the Flames went in a funk. Coastal Carolina (9-4, 0-2 Big South), which led 17-9 early but trailed 39-29 when Megan left, crept to within 40-37 thanks to clutch shooting from Amber Rose, Calisha Yates and Kim Turner.

Liberty failed to convert a field goal for the first 8:25 of the second half, but when Karolina Piotrkiewicz found Courtney Watkins on a slick backdoor pass for a layup, Liberty led 43-37 and slowly pulled away from there.

"I think people were shocked at first, but we calmed down," said Liberty's Molly Frazee, who scored eight points and hit two 3-pointers. "I thought our team pulled it together and played well."

Green characterized the entire night as a lesson in maturity. When Coastal took its early eight-point lead, the Flames (10-4, 2-0) didn't blink. Instead, they ran off a 12-2 spurt to take a 21-19 lead.

Later, when faced with the adversity of an injury to their leading scorer, the Flames managed to pull together enough to stave off a game Chanticleers squad.

"It was an opportunity for the team to pull it together and for other people to get the job done," Green said. "Megan can get the job done. She's proved it through the first 13 or 14 games. We just want her to be able to give her best, to give 100 percent."

Watkins and Moriah Frazee scored 12 apiece to lead the Flames, and Piotrkiewicz added nine rebounds. Rose led the Chanticleers with 19 points. Turner added 14.

"Our ballclub scrapped," Coastal Carolina coach Alan LeForce said. "We had a chance to make it interesting. I was proud of our effort."
By Guest
How do I do this? I signed up with a username and password. If I type in th username in the Post a Reply window it tells me that this username has already been taken. If I don't type my name it comes up as guest. What's the deal?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Anonymous wrote:How do I do this? I signed up with a username and password. If I type in th username in the Post a Reply window it tells me that this username has already been taken. If I don't type my name it comes up as guest. What's the deal?
Beigel if this is you- check the FB thread
By Guest
FWIW, I was told that Megan will be having an MRI on Thursday, but the Dr. she saw today said he would be very surprised if it was NOT torn.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
why in the world are they waiting until THURSDAY for an MRI? I know I know, the swelling will be down and yada yada yada. The point is- like CHRIS said- she's the franchise and they should be jumping on this one. JMHO
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I was talkin with Coach Green and it's not looking very good at all....What a aweful turn of events....I pray this girl isnt pleagued with injuries, if so we'll, never know what she could have done.....let's hope for the best...
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Just to confirm a couple of things. Yes, the MRI is Thursday. Green said her knee was tight today and the range of motion was not good. Wouldn't say anything other than that. Could be very bad news. We'll know more by Thursday or Friday.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
PAMedic--you of all people should realize that getting an MRI isn't like getting an X-ray. It's much more involved than that. From what I hear, it's darn near a miracle that she's getting one by Thursday. I think the training staff has taken enough unjustified garbage and carnage this year without you guys adding fuel to the burning at the stake.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
relax AG. the medic is just giving an opinion, not attacking the trainers. i do find it odd that it is taking so long. a football player can hurt their knee on saturday or sunday and the MRI is monday. but im not a doctor so i do not know. i know lynchburg has some good surgeons, but i would head up to UVA to the mc cue center. im certainly praying that things will be OK.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
speaking from experience here: blew a knee at LU in 88. Had it scoped at VA Baptist and have regretted it for the last 17 yrs. Shoulda come home to Temple and had it done.

My point was she needs to have it looked at ASAP, waiting 3 days seemed a little odd.

AG where you came up w/ me attacking the training staff I have no idea, maybe lay off the caffeine.

*And, yeah- it is pretty much like "getting an X-ray". If the facilities in the 'burg view MRIs as cutting edge or advanced procedures you guys are in real trouble.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
why in the world are they waiting until THURSDAY for an MRI? I know I know, the swelling will be down and yada yada yada. The point is- like CHRIS said- she's the franchise and they should be jumping on this one.

THAT'S where I guess I am reading into wrong. The point is that being an LU athlete probably doesn't pull any more weight in Lynchburg than anyone else. That's just my perception, but again, I have no idea where I am, where I've been, and where I'm going.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
medic, things have changed in lynchburg since 88. the facilities are much better as are the surgeons, and also having UVA and the roanoke hospital system that works with VT athletes, is at their disposal. AG, i think the lynchburg surgeons give top priority to LU athletes.from what i gather, LU has a good working relationship with the medical community. for some reason she had to wait, and i guess we will not know unless CL can find out. bottom line is let's hope she is OK!
By Guest
There are two MRI machines in the lynchburg area. That is why it takes so long. I waited three weeks when I blew out my knee. Like someone said earlier, it's a miracle they got her in for Thursday.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Anonymous wrote:There are two MRI machines in the lynchburg area. That is why it takes so long. I waited three weeks when I blew out my knee. Like someone said earlier, it's a miracle they got her in for Thursday.
that's friggin ridiculous. I know things are a little different down there but every one of our 7 local hospitals up here has one, and there are at least 2 private ones w/ in 5 miles of me as I sit here on my fat butt at work.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
dude you are in philly. one of the biggest cities in the US, you should have that many machines. i do feel they could have gone to roanoke or charlottesville, that just makes no sense!
CUSA Tournament Las Cruces, NM

We stay alive beating UTEP 13-10. McManus had 2 do[…]

2024 Season Thread

I wish. DBU is a bit of a haul even from my locati[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Group of Five schools to unveil all-new Top 25 As […]

Field Hockey

Oh I agree, I was just out of the loop.