The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Go figure. The N&A hasn't updated its sports section on the web. Any firm news?
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
Chris, I don't get it. Part of the thrill of being a journalist is the aspect of the "scoop." If you have information, why do you have to wait for someone else to cover it? Is it a credibility issue (you don't want to be the only one saying something in case it's wrong), or does LU have an exclusive deal and say that WSET gets first rights for all pertinent information?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Speaking on Chris' behalf, unless they have a way for him to publish his stuff in advance (no pun intended) of the morning edition then someone can steal his info and take credit. Newspaper guys are the last to have their work put on display after TV & Radio guys get stuff on in the evening.
Last edited by Sly Fox on January 21st, 2006, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Ed, I don't want to scoop myself, so to speak. If I say what I know before the 11 p.m. news here, who's to say they don't read it and put it on the air and say the information is "according to reliable sources." Dennis had that Frazee would miss this game. He was so far off the big story that I had the confidence that I had the right story (as did GMTM). I can't use this message board to break news. It would be unfair to my employers. If anything, we would have broken it on the N&A web site if we were truly worried WSET would have it before us.

As for any sort of deals with LU, that doesn't happen. I spoke to the training staff Friday afternoon and they said nothing to me about not saying anything to anyone before so-and-so, etc. They knew I was writing a story for today's paper.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Since I was in the office to interview coach Rocco (football story coming in Monday's paper ...), I fished through the system and found the Frazee story. Don't know why the web site wasn't updated. Here it is:
By Chris Lang
clang@newsadvance.com
(434) 385-5529
Sitting on a table in the Vines Center training room with her left leg wrapped from thigh to ankle in an Ace bandage, the reality hit Megan Frazee on Friday.
Liberty has lost Frazee, the Big South Conference’s leading scorer and rebounder, for the season thanks to a knee ligament tear sustained during Monday night’s win against Coastal Carolina.
The freshman averaged 18.5 points and 9.2 rebounds per game in 14 games and shot 52.8 percent from 3-point range.
“Right now, it looks like an ACL tear,” Liberty assistant athletic trainer for women’s basketball Brianne Kilbourne said. “But we are waiting for some further confirmation on it.”
More tests will be done next week to see if there is damage to other ligaments in the knee.
The Flames host Winthrop this afternoon. Instead of resigning himself to “doom and gloom,” Liberty coach Carey Green instead tried to find some solace in the tough turn of circumstances for his team.
“Obviously, we lost our most versatile player, a young lady that’s having a great freshman year and is establishing herself as a true Division I basketball player that’s able to compete at the highest level,” Green said. “She’ll be definitely missed.
“It takes one bullet out of our gun. But I think we still have sufficient ability and skills throughout the team that are developing and we’re going to be very successful.”
Frazee was injured while battling a Coastal Carolina player for a rebound. She left the game and didn’t return. At first, she thought the injury was minor. But an MRI taken Thursday revealed the ligament tear.
Frazee said Monday that she had never experienced a serious knee or ankle injury.
“You never think it’s going to happen to you,” Frazee said Friday. “You’ve just got to deal with it.”
ACL tears require corrective surgery and players usually return after nine months of healing and rehabilitation. LU forward Egle Smigelskaite tore an ACL late last season and has returned to play this year.
Green suspects the injury will fuel Frazee to work fervently to return to the form that made her one of the nation’s top freshmen.
“I really think she’s even going to be an even more hungry and polished player coming back next season,” Green said. “This happens to be a team game. Our players have individual responsibilities to the team. I’m really excited to see who is going to blossom under this circumstance.”
With Frazee out, freshman Rebecca Lightfoot will likely join the starting lineup. Lightfoot has started seven games and averages 2.8 points and 2.9 rebounds per game.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for bringing it, Chris.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
thanks chris. anyway to get with the IT people to update the website daily??
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Don't even start the journalists vs web guys deal. Chris & I live it everyday in our newsrooms. Let's just say that sports content isn't generally of the highest priority with managers.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
that is garbage for the out of towners, but i certainly do understand.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
what is with the big girls and destructive knee injuries? Get this lady a titanium brace! Make it 2.
I'm glad to see she's keeping her spirits up though- its not an unrecoverable injury, anyway. She's gonna be a terror next year.
Maybe Megan will use her newly aquired free time to be our official WBB correspondant!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
The sad thing is that she was a lock for POY and Rookie of the year. Now she may not get either. She should still get 1st team though IMO.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the post, Chris. Doesn't sound too bad. If I recall, Katie was able to come back from a pretty serious injury, too. That worked out pretty well in the end.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
A.G. wrote:Thanks for the post, Chris. Doesn't sound too bad. If I recall, Katie was able to come back from a pretty serious injury, too. That worked out pretty well in the end.
I had the same thought- she may not be able to dunk, thats all!
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up, Chris. I don't want to sound as if I was criticizing you, I was just wondering out loud.

Not surprised to see that WSET totally missed the boat. They're the same people who went to an LU career fair and told me that they didn't have any job openings.
By beigledog
Registration Days Posts
Bad news for the girls team, but like others have already mentioned, I just remember Katie getting a season ending injury her freshman year. It's crazy how things work out. Megan has been a lot more dominating than Katie was as a Freshman too!
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
beigledog wrote:Bad news for the girls team, but like others have already mentioned, I just remember Katie getting a season ending injury her freshman year. It's crazy how things work out. Megan has been a lot more dominating than Katie was as a Freshman too!
Katie never really had a season "ending" injury... she had a season "beginning" injury. This hurts a bit more because we lose Megan for the postseason... Katie got to play all four tourneys... and if you think about it, she could have redshirted her frosh year if she wanted after missing 2 months. So she could actually still be playing for us right now. That would be nice ;-)
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]