The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop seems to be in a bit of a slump lately, but I think they'll be ready to give us a fight at their place. However, we should be able to win convincingly.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, Winthrop's been having trouble winning games over the last couple of weeks...The good news is that they aren't getting blown out, they're staying competitive. But they've generally had shaky first halves and then can't seem to make a big enough comeback in the 2nd half to get the win. WU's outside shooting (which was big in their early conference wins) has been very shaky, and it is also likely that now that WU is facing everyone again for a second time, that the other teams in the league have figured out what WU's freshmen like to do and now can stop it (as opposed to the first few games when nobody knew what to expect from them)...

But drawing inspiration from seeing what happened in the WU/LU men's game the other night, the Winthrop women will find a way to beat the Flames...WU 61, LU 57
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I don't know WEF- our ladies seem to be hitting their stride right about now, players are really stepping it up after the loss of Megan. We'll see- pretty much EVERY conf game is a MUST WIN now.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
But drawing inspiration from seeing what happened in the WU/LU men's game the other night, the Winthrop women will find a way to beat the Flames...WU 61, LU 57
Winthrop has to beat our defense. When we really play good defense not even HP can beat us. LU will find ways to score but when we play defense, nobody in this league in my opinion can beat us.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You gotta love a poster like WEF who clearly gets what is going down here. Very nice.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Flames up by 1 27-26 at halftime... Winthrop has been packing it in... we have taken 27 shots and 13 of those have been behind the 3 point line
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:You gotta love a poster like WEF who clearly gets what is going down here. Very nice.
Hey, you'll never see me predict Winthrop to lose..no matter the sport or opposition...it's bad karma...
By The U
This broadcast sucks ... :D
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Rachel Hammond with the three. LU up by 12.
By absturgill
Registration Days Posts
U,

FSN, SCAR and GMTM have done and continue to do quality radio and TV broadcasts. Keep up the good work guys.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have a feeling The U is giving some buddies a little bidness.

Here is the link to the audio stream:

The Light
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think game proves once how tough it is to win on the road in conference play.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
LU up by 7 with just under a minute to go.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Start up the bus. This one proved much more challenging than anyone would've expected. Thankfully it didn't have the kind of home upset dramatics we enjoyed against the Eagles men.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop is giving us all we can handle but it looks like LU came through in the end.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
The U is a hump anyway. :P
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
LU 61 WU 51 Final

Way to fight!
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Good win for the women's basketball team against a much improved Winthrop team. In other news HP chokes against Radford tonight. RU 63 HPU 60
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Seems like HP is reeling a bit. Winthrop will be a good team next year. Good defense in the second half by LU.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well now with a win this weekend LU locks up home court
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Second Half Defense Keys Lady Flames' Victory Over Lady Eagles
February 22, 2006 · Rock Hill, S.C.

The Liberty Lady Flames held the Winthrop Lady Eagles to one basket over a span of 14 minutes in the second half as the Lady Flames downed the Lady Eagles, 61-51, Wednesday evening at the Winthrop Coliseum in Big South Conference action.

With the win, Liberty continues to lead the Big South Conference with a 10-1 record and is 19-5 overall, while Winthrop drops to 4-7 in conference and 10-14 overall.

With the game tied at 6-6 after the first four minutes of play, Winthrop would go on a 7-0 run over the next 2:20 to take a 13-6 advantage. An old fashioned three-point play by Roneisha Kinney capped the run at 13:54.

However, the seven-point lead would be the Lady Eagles' biggest of the evening as the Lady Flames would score nine of the next 12 points as a Michelle Parker (Jr., G, Miami, Fla.) jumper knotted the score at 16-16 at the 11:11 mark.

Winthrop once again extended its lead to 26-21 with 3:36 left in the opening period, only to see the Lady Flames' score the final six points of the half and go to intermission up, 27-26, on a Rachel Hammond (Fr., G, Clearwater, Fla.) three-pointer with 21 seconds left. It would be the first of a career-high four three-pointers for Hammond, who also led Liberty in scoring with 12 points.

In the second half and in the lead 32-30, the Lady Flames allowed the Lady Eagles only one field goal over the next 14 minutes, outscoring Winthrop 18-11 over the span.

Liberty would extend its advantage to 37-30 at the 16:29 mark of the second period as Moriah Frazee (Fr., F, Xenia, OH) scored five consecutive points for Liberty on two lay-ups and a free throw.

The Lady Flames took their biggest lead of 13 on the evening as Hammond connected again from behind the arc at 7:29 for a 50-37 advantage.

Winthrop cut the Liberty lead to 52-49 with 2:12 left, but a lay-up by Courtney Watkins (So., G, Bristol, Tenn.) and a jumper by Roli-
Ann Nikagbatse (So., F, Berlin, Germany) would put the Lady Flames up 56-49 with 59 seconds.

Liberty then iced the game with 6-of-6 foul shooting by Watkins, Rebecca Lightfoot (Fr., F, Duluth, Ga.) and Allyson Fasnacht (So., G, Salem, Va.).

Hammond led the way for Liberty with 12 points off the Lady Flames' bench which accounted for 50 percent of the team's scoring on the evening. Leslie Jones (Jr., F, Raleigh, N.C.) finished with eight points in eight minutes and Molly Frazee had six points off the bench. Nikagbatse scored eight points and led Liberty with seven rebounds.

Ashley Fann led Winthrop with 13 points and a game-high eight rebounds. Tiffany Rodd added 10 points and Ashley Carey had nine points.

The Lady Flames shot 83.3 percent from the free throw line on the night. It was Liberty’s third best game percentage this season, while committing just 14 turnovers, the fourth fewest turnovers by the Lady Flames since starting Big South play.

Liberty next continues Big South Conference play with a visit to UNC Asheville on Saturday. Game time is set for 2 p.m.
Turnovers Costly For Lady Eagles In Loss To Liberty (2-22-06)
ROCK HILL, SC— Winthrop shot just 2-of-13 from the field over the final 14 minutes of the game, allowing Liberty to hold on for a 61-51 victory, Wednesday evening at the Winthrop Coliseum.

Despite the poor shooting from the field, Winthrop still managed to overcome a 13-point deficit and pull within three points with 2:12 remaining. The Lady Eagles got back into the game at the foul line. They were 14-for-17 during the final 14 minutes, which included Tiffany Rodd’s three free throws after getting fouled behind the arc. Rodd’s free throws cut the lead to 52-48 and a free throw by Jolandra Crump made it 52-49. Winthrop (10-14, 4-7) shot just 23 percent from the floor in the second half and 33 percent for the game.

Liberty (19-5, 10-1) built its 13-point advantage after a strong start to the second half. Rachel Hammond started off a 10-4 run that put the Lady Flames up seven points just three and a half minutes into the second half. The lead grew to nine points after a Courtney Watkins three-pointer with 14:26 to go. Winthrop managed just four points over the next seven minutes and Hammond gave Liberty its biggest lead at 13 with another three with 7:09 left.

“I thought we had a good game plan and we’re ready to play tonight,” said head coach Bud Childers. “I think we missed our chances in the first half, to have a decent lead at the break. After Milevoj picked up her second foul with 12 minutes left we committed 11 turnovers the rest of the way.”

Winthrop was leading by seven points when Milevoj picked up her first foul with 13:27 left. A 6-0 run sparked by a Molly Frazee three made it a 13-12 Winthrop lead with 12:27 left as Milevoj picked up her second foul.

The Lady Eagles did respond with an Yvonne van Daalen three-pointer to go back up four, but Liberty regained the lead with 8:06 left on a Leslie Jones three. Winthrop answered right back with seven straight points for a 24-19 lead with 5:41 left. Then the Lady Eagles committed turnovers in five of their final seven possessions of the half and were down 27-26.

“We just didn’t make the plays early in the second half and you have to give credit to Liberty,” said Childers. “In the second half they came out and got on the boards, drew fouls, got to the line and we had to play catch up from there.”

One of the biggest keys to Liberty’s victory was the play it received from the bench. The bench accounted for just over 50 percent of the team’s total points. Hammond led the way for Liberty with 12 points off the bench. Jones finished with eight points in eight minutes and Molly Frazee had six points.

“I think that is their team,” added Childers. “It’s the way they play. It’s as if their bench players come on to the court and are out to prove they deserve to start as much as the next person. They are a mentally tough team, despite having a young team. We just aren’t tough enough mentally yet to compete with them.”

Fann led the way for Winthrop has she had 13 points and a game-high eight rebounds. Rodd added 10 points and Ashley Carey had nine points.

Liberty, which out-rebounds its opponents by an average of 12.3 a game, finished with a slight edge on the boards at 33-32.

The Lady Eagles will head to the coast this weekend to take on Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina. The beach swing will begin on Saturday at Charleston Southern at 2 p.m. Then Winthrop will take on Coastal Carolina on Monday at 7 p.m.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Looks like HPU didn't recover from the loss at Liberty and have lost to Radford so we now have a 2 game lead in the loss column. Looks like that coin flip won't take place after all! Which is a good thing btw because it would have been done in secret and you know what the outcome would have been right? They would have used a 2 headed coin and Liberty would have had tails :wink:. Kidding KK, (just in case he wants to hire me for some Big South games).
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Scar, just PM me all the negative things you would like me to post about KK I'll gladly do it but only after I'm done with my list....IDIOT (great movie)
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
HMO I know you would be my surrogate KK basher any day of the week. I may have to post all my KK bashing under a pseudonym or a guest :lol: That seems be how people who are scared to say stuff post right? Anything I say on here about the Big South I would say in Public. In fact I guess I am saying it in public.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]