The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By ECC29
As I have said it before time and time again. Coach Green has not able to bring in the high level athletes to this program. Therefore, put someone there that can attract the top athletes into the program. And spare me the lecture of we need to get the right player with this character and it difficult to find those players. There are plenty of D1 P5 athletes that speaks out in public and give God the glory for their success. They are out there. It takes that coach to draw them into the program.
thesportscritic liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 7:27 am LU WBB was the FGCU and MTSU of the Big South. They won OPC and advanced in tourney when they had even better athletes and players: unicorns.

To be fair, this team got better over the course of conference play. I, for one, did not see a two seed and advancement to champ game on this season’s horizon. I also observed this program edge closer and closer to FGCU over several years.

But I’ve not been a fan of the controlling style for over a decade. They absolutely need better athletes and on-ball defenders. For too long, the program relied on just being bigger and longer, and the matchup zone Green ran for years fit those players.

I admit I didn’t watch as many games this year, especially as poorly as OOC went. I did watch every minute yesterday, and almost all of the rest of the tourney. This group got better. I’ll give credit where it’s due. But LU does need to get more athletic, undoubtedly. We looked surprisingly big and slow yesterday. The strategy was clearly to slow the game down and keep it close as possible, make a half court grind-it-out type of game. That worked for one quarter.
That’s a pretty spot on analysis. I wonder why :D I do believe with a team this young you need to be a bit firmer on structure than with a veteran team. HCCG has his style and it’s not going to change. It may not be the most popular style but it has worked here and he’s been pretty successful with it. It has been tough going from Top Dog to the solid #2. FGCU and MTSU have been successful with a much more entertaining style that presents all sorts of problems for LU’s style. MTSU is probably the best in Conference team LU has ever had to go up against. They have consistently been strong mid major and it’s going to be a tall task, regardless of who the coach is, to surpass them
Again, like the style or hate the style you can’t deny that from the first day to the last day this team improved by leaps and bounds. That’s always a sign of good coaching
Baybird liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need change but propose absolutely no alternatives. You talk like you just want to get rid of them and replace them with better coaches, but that's not done with the snap of the fingers. And good luck finding as good of cultural fits as either one of them - yes that's as important, or maybe more so, than wins.
Be careful what you wish for.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote: March 17th, 2024, 8:06 am Let the cycle keep on spinning.🙄🙄
It’s not spinning if it’s true.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Sorry you green defenders but this is not the big South or asun anymore the competition is much better and y'all carry on with your blinders on your eyes. And by the way no hate on green. Pointing out the obvious that some of y'all don't want to see.
By ECC29
flamehunter wrote: March 17th, 2024, 8:21 am You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need change but propose absolutely no alternatives. You talk like you just want to get rid of them and replace them with better coaches, but that's not done with the snap of the fingers. And good luck finding as good of cultural fits as either one of them - yes that's as important, or maybe more so, than wins.
Basically, what you are saying is you have no faith. I’m not sure if you consider yourself a Christian or Not for me to judge. Are you saying that God stops at Coach Green? That There no Christian coaches left to fill in at LU’s basketball program? This is your view? I am not hating on CG. He is a good man. We are pointing out what is in front of us. 25 years is a long time to coach. Our church had Our pastor of 25 years retired and we were looking and without a pastor for over a year. Some people in the church were losing their faith and worried that we will never find the right pastor. God provide a good pastor this past fall. I promise you God will not stop at CG.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote: March 17th, 2024, 8:44 am Sorry you green defenders but this is not the big South or asun anymore the competition is much better and y'all carry on with your blinders on your eyes. And by the way no hate on green. Pointing out the obvious that some of y'all don't want to see.
No blinders. Just facts.
Green has never run an exciting style
LU WBB has really never been be-sodden with athletes.
LU currently has the best backcourt combo they’ve had in a long long time.
LU has a very solid starting 5 next year. It can be competitive. Again potentially one of the best 1-5 LU has had in awhile.

Would it be great to see some changes in roster composition? Absolutely. Depth is a bigger problem for this team moving forward Maybe some players coming off injury will fill that need next year
But how do you replace a HC who has not had a losing season in forever, has had no scandals off court, represents the school well and if competitive every year in every Conference? He really hasn’t done anything that justifies his removal.
Cider Jim, Baybird liked this
By ECC29
You can look at the season results in the last 3 years this way. Finishing second, look at it as a great season or mediocrity. If you are satisfied coming in second and no longer going to the NCAA tournament, then that’s your satisfaction. Some of us wants to see the program go up to the next level and try to get in the top 25 rankings and return to the NCAA and compete and win some games. This school has too
Much money and/or resources to remain mediocre. I do not have to explain to people the definition of INSANITY. If CG stays, the seasons will more likely end up the same.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:34 am You can look at the season results in the last 3 years this way. Finishing second, look at it as a great season or mediocrity. If you are satisfied coming in second and no longer going to the NCAA tournament, then that’s your satisfaction. Some of us wants to see the program go up to the next level and try to get in the top 25 rankings and return to the NCAA and compete and win some games. This school has too
Much money and/or resources to remain mediocre. I do not have to explain to people the definition of INSANITY. If CG stays, the seasons will more likely end up the same.
Your justification for removing Coach Green is that he hasn’t won the Conference. That finishing 2 nd the last few years is grounds for removal.
By ECC29
Here is the difference between you and me and a few other people. You keep giving CG a lot of credit for winning all those games in the Big South, a much lower conference. If CG have been coaching in the G5 all this time, would he accumulated 500 wins. I’m going to say, no. I look at it like the football program when they went FBS, a good guy and a coach needed to be replaced by Hugh Freeze in order to raise the program to the next level. Freeze was able to get quality players to get the program up. CG showed he continued to recruit slower and less athletic players. The program will be stuck where they are. After 25 years, it’s time for a new energetic, different philosophy to take charge in order for the program to rise to the next level and not continue to finish second place. Like some of us said before, are you satisfied with mediocrity or are you looking to advance to the next level.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:58 am Here is the difference between you and me and a few other people. You keep giving CG a lot of credit for winning all those games in the Big South, a much lower conference. If CG have been coaching in the G5 all this time, would he accumulated 500 wins. I’m going to say, no. I look at it like the football program when they went FBS, a good guy and a coach needed to be replaced by Hugh Freeze in order to raise the program to the next level. Freeze was able to get quality players to get the program up. CG showed he continued to recruit slower and less athletic players. The program will be stuck where they are. After 25 years, it’s time for a new energetic, different philosophy to take charge in order for the program to rise to the next level and not continue to finish second place. Like some of us said before, are you satisfied with mediocrity or are you looking to advance to the next level.
I’m asking you to put on the hat of an AD and justify removing an objectively successful coach. If your justification is finishing second in the ASUN and CUSA then come out and say it. I think that’s not necessarily a good reason and sets a bad precedent
You don’t have to agree with his coaching philosophy style of play. What I do know is someone with the success and tenure has earned the right to dictate the terms of his own departure. When he does then we can talk about who should replace him. You don’t. That’s fine
By ECC29
I know this college environment all too well. It’s nothing personal, it’s business. A coach who works for someone technically do not get to dictate when he will be released. Coach Gill won the Big South his last year if I am correct. He was replaced by Freeze. What is your point? This is the same AD that did not and can also do it for WBB coach.
By ECC29
Sorry, same AD that released Gill for Freeze. He can do it again to anyone.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 10:38 am Sorry, same AD that released Gill for Freeze. He can do it again to anyone.
Making the jump from FCS to FBS is entirely different from moving from ASUN to CUSA. There were also a dozen other factors at play that aren’t now.
I mean I might know a thing or two about college athletics and coaching myself, despite my inability to land an Uoward team. I have not seen any valid reason to remove coach green whether you like him or not. You’ve pointed out a lack of athleticism, a tempo that seems antiquated and only finishing second in 2 new Conferences as reasons to remove him. I simply disagree with those being valid reasons.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote: March 17th, 2024, 10:41 am I thought Gill retired 🤔. Did I miss something?
Ha! Never forget the invisible hand of the former head of the University! I may be wrong but was the brought back for a hot minute in some Administrative capacity before heading to Arkansas or wherever?
By ECC29
Purple Haize wrote: March 17th, 2024, 10:44 am
ECC29 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 10:38 am Sorry, same AD that released Gill for Freeze. He can do it again to anyone.
Making the jump from FCS to FBS is entirely different from moving from ASUN to CUSA. There were also a dozen other factors at play that aren’t now.
I mean I might know a thing or two about college athletics and coaching myself, despite my inability to land an Uoward team. I have not seen any valid reason to remove coach green whether you like him or not. You’ve pointed out a lack of athleticism, a tempo that seems antiquated and only finishing second in 2 new Conferences as reasons to remove him. I simply disagree with those being valid reasons.
Moving from ASUN to CUSA is the same as FCS to FBS. Again, your mind set is that coming in second in ASUN and CUSA is supposed to be very good. It is NOT. This is the credit you give CG. You are satisfied with second place in mid-major conferences beating up teams with losing record. We would like to see the program compete well against top ranked team consistently. CG cannot get them there.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You lost all credibility in the argument saying the ASUN to CUSA move is equal to jumping FCS to FBS.
You also misstate my position. I’m not satisfied with finishing second. Except for this year, that’s an amazing accomplishment with this team. I’m pretty sure the coaches won’t be satisfied with consistent 2nd place finishes either. I, unlike you, just don’t subscribe to the Ricky Bobby ‘If you ain’t first you’re last’ philosophy.
By ECC29
The first sentence of your argument is subjective and your opinion. You are now angry because we point out facts about this program and you have a major problem with it. Oh well!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 12:04 pm The first sentence of your argument is subjective and your opinion. You are now angry because we point out facts about this program and you have a major problem with it. Oh well!
Again, you misstate my position. I’m not remotely angry. And it’s an empirical fact that moving from FCS to FBS is much more dramatic than going from the ASUN to CUSA. There’s simply little comparison In terms of talent differential, financial commitment, infrastructure, support services etc between the switch to FBS and the switch to CUSA. It’s not opinion, it’s simply fact.
Take the name Green off of his resume. Insert ‘Generic Coach’ When Coach Green steps aside I’m sure LU would love to have someone with that track record follow him.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I have been calling for/hoping Green would retire for years now. He hasn't and as much as it pains me to say, he has earned going out on his own terms. He got this team much further this year than anybody thought he would and deserves kudos for.

Will we ever make that next step with him as coach? Doubtful but it is what it is. I've learned to live with.
Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If you fire a coach who always finishes top 2 in the conference, you will struggle to hire as good of a replacement.

I’m certain the counter-argument to that will be, “If the candidate doesn’t like that pressure, we don’t want them anyway.”
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:22 pm If you fire a coach who always finishes top 2 in the conference, you will struggle to hire as good of a replacement.

I’m certain the counter-argument to that will be, “If the candidate doesn’t like that pressure, we don’t want them anyway.”
As if you know anything about WBB :BS
Cider Jim, JK37 liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:03 am
flamehunter wrote: March 17th, 2024, 8:21 am You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need change but propose absolutely no alternatives. You talk like you just want to get rid of them and replace them with better coaches, but that's not done with the snap of the fingers. And good luck finding as good of cultural fits as either one of them - yes that's as important, or maybe more so, than wins.
Basically, what you are saying is you have no faith. I’m not sure if you consider yourself a Christian or Not for me to judge. Are you saying that God stops at Coach Green? That There no Christian coaches left to fill in at LU’s basketball program? This is your view? I am not hating on CG. He is a good man. We are pointing out what is in front of us. 25 years is a long time to coach. Our church had Our pastor of 25 years retired and we were looking and without a pastor for over a year. Some people in the church were losing their faith and worried that we will never find the right pastor. God provide a good pastor this past fall. I promise you God will not stop at CG.
I have plenty of faith despite your judging of me, which you said you didn't do. God provides leadership to carry out his plan in all facets of life.
What you are saying is that God's plan for Liberty basketball depends on people and not God. Where's your faith?

Now, about those candidates to take CG's place. I'm waiting....
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]