The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Coming up on the end of non Conference play. This first year in CUSA isn’t going to be pretty. There are some things that do indicate a bright future coming up. It’s just going to rough in the present

The biggest hurdle right now is an overall lack of aggressiveness /assertiveness. There are a lot of nice young ladies on this team. There are some very talented ladies on this team. However, they need a player or two that will shank you in the eye with a soup spoon for no good reason :D . Yesterday was the most aggressive I’ve seen Smuda play, and if that continues that’s a good thing. I’m not sure on the roster right now there’s someone who is going to set the example of being aggressive /assertive though. That lack of an assertiveness is evident in the rebounding stats which has always been an emphasis for HCCG. There are ways to teach it and some players need to come into it on their own. If this gets improved a whole lot of positive things can happen.
The great thing is that this is not a Senior laden team. Which hopefully plays into the above. And as they mature in the system they become more familiar with what is needed and blossom into a good squad. Smuda is a Junior so she has a year left and has improved IMMENSELY year over year. Boone is Freshman who has got some serious game. Hodges is a JR and starting to come into her own. Would like to see Moore get some ‘more’ time because I think she’s got a ton of potential. Howard could be a nice backup to Smuda. Thats just a quick off the top of my head list.
This team only has 1 Senior. That’s going to be a struggle regardless of the Conference you are in. I’m not in practice so I don’t know the ins and outs of who does what day in and day out. These are just the observations of an aspiring Upward Basketball coach who has attended some games. While it does appear to be a challenging present, the future doesn’t look so grim
By Baybird
Was at the game yesterday and saw that lack of aggressiveness and getting after the ball. We were constantly flat-footed after a made basket allowing GC to push the ball up court. We definitely are missing that "dog" on the team like Dee Brown who could ignite the team with her hustle. While Hodges must offer something in practice that we aren't seeing in games she just is so complacent and lacks the playmaking abilities to be a #1 PG. I think LU is getting help there next year.

I do like Elisabeth Aegisdottir on the floor instead of Jordan Bailey...she is getting valuable playing time without losing much with JB on the bench. JB's leadership is needed, but she's too inconsistent on the floor. She seems to have lost confidence in the last two years and commits too many cheap fouls.

Smuda has been better and yesterday it was nice to see her try some jumpers to go with her moves to the basket.

Moore can be good but needs time on the floor. I'm not sure of Steenbergen's injury, but having her back on the floor will add to what could be a good Flame team that can contest for a CUSA top-four team. Other than MTSU, I think we can beat anyone, but also believe we can go on a two to three-game in-conference losing streak.

Still, I enjoy watching the WBB team and while Coach Green may be in his last days as our coach, he and his staff have put together some ladies who can keep LU's success going for a few more years.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Baybird wrote: December 21st, 2023, 4:58 pm Was at the game yesterday and saw that lack of aggressiveness and getting after the ball. We were constantly flat-footed after a made basket allowing GC to push the ball up court. We definitely are missing that "dog" on the team like Dee Brown who could ignite the team with her hustle. While Hodges must offer something in practice that we aren't seeing in games she just is so complacent and lacks the playmaking abilities to be a #1 PG. I think LU is getting help there next year.

I do like Elisabeth Aegisdottir on the floor instead of Jordan Bailey...she is getting valuable playing time without losing much with JB on the bench. JB's leadership is needed, but she's too inconsistent on the floor. She seems to have lost confidence in the last two years and commits too many cheap fouls.

Smuda has been better and yesterday it was nice to see her try some jumpers to go with her moves to the basket.

Moore can be good but needs time on the floor. I'm not sure of Steenbergen's injury, but having her back on the floor will add to what could be a good Flame team that can contest for a CUSA top-four team. Other than MTSU, I think we can beat anyone, but also believe we can go on a two to three-game in-conference losing streak.

Still, I enjoy watching the WBB team and while Coach Green may be in his last days as our coach, he and his staff have put together some ladies who can keep LU's success going for a few more years.
So you were one of the other 8 people there :) One of whom was a GCU fan dressed in purple….so obviously I had a soft spot for him :D
Baybird liked this
By ECC29
Baybird wrote: December 21st, 2023, 4:58 pm Was at the game yesterday and saw that lack of aggressiveness and getting after the ball. We were constantly flat-footed after a made basket allowing GC to push the ball up court. We definitely are missing that "dog" on the team like Dee Brown who could ignite the team with her hustle. While Hodges must offer something in practice that we aren't seeing in games she just is so complacent and lacks the playmaking abilities to be a #1 PG. I think LU is getting help there next year.

I have been saying a similar thing from day one. Hodges is no starting D1 PG. The other PG they recruited from Spain , Acin needs to lose about 15 lbs and she is very slow and ineffective. Jordan Bailey should not be a starter anymore. She offers nothing on the floor. Amira is getting better but she is weak. She is no Mya Berkman. I like Boone. She has a good shot and she has a good future. Moore is their best athletic player and should be given minutes to help with defense and rebounds. She I can be a version of Venzant from the men’s basketball. Steenbergen is weak in defense. Her footwork is slow just like Bailey. Until they get athleticism like Moore or Boone, This team will struggle. They need 4 real athletes on the floor at the same time.
thesportscritic liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

I disagree with you on Hodges. You were at the game. She made some very nice passes. She’s a Glue person and has improved immensely year over year. Very good facilitator and streaky shooter.
thesportscritic liked this
By ECC29
Hodges is a decent shooter. Sorry, But she lack the dribble penetration skills needed at her position. She could not do it enough. She does not have the speed to handle the better teams.
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be betwee[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]