The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

Should Carey Green be replaced ASAP with a new coach who may be a better recruiter?

Yes. He's old and past his prime and can't bring in the talent we need to compete in CUSA.
8%
Yes. He's never been a very good coach or recruiter and Liberty deserves better.
24%
No. He's one of the most successful women's coaches in college basketball and has earned the right to leave when he's ready to.
60%
No. He's still one of the best and I hope he stays another 10 years.
8%
Other - explain below.
No votes
0%
The top talent will go to a P5 school. Those are the teams that provide the best competition and the best chance to win a national title year in and year out. Liberty is one of 300 other teams fighting for what's left of the talent once it's been picked clean by the power conferences. Whether it's basketball, baseball softball, soccer, volleyball, while we my have an upset or 2 of a P5 team, we have never had P5 talent to do this to the point where we are a player on the big stage. Top talented Christians have a choice to come here but seldom if ever do (see Oklahoma softball).
By ECC29
This is a similar path as LU football. LU hired Coach Gill and brought success in winning multiple Big South titles as an FCS football team. However, when LU football became FBS, Coach Freeze was hired. Coach Freeze was able to recruit better players because of who he is and raised LU football to the next level winning multiple Bowl championships. LU is to the next level in G5 level. It’s time to get a new coach that can recruit better players.
ECC29 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 7:26 am This is a similar path as LU football. LU hired Coach Gill and brought success in winning multiple Big South titles as an FCS football team. However, when LU football became FBS, Coach Freeze was hired. Coach Freeze was able to recruit better players because of who he is and raised LU football to the next level winning multiple Bowl championships. LU is to the next level in G5 level. It’s time to get a new coach that can recruit better players.
If you’re gonna remove a successful coach for reasons other than scandal, you’d best have someone in mind who is immediately going to make the program better. There is no Hugh Freeze equivalent in WBB, so that comparison isn’t a good one. I’m also a big loyalty guy. Whatever you think of his recruiting or his style, his teams have won consistently over a long long period of time. He’s worked under at least 4 AD’s and none have seen fit to remove him. At this point he has more than earned the right to walk away on his terms.
Ill flame, JK37, flamehunter and 5 others liked this
I'm pretty sure I accidently voted for yes. We haven't played a single game in CUSA yet so it seems a little early to say he can't recruit at that level yet. We are a top 100 team in NET most years despite being in a conference where almost everyone else is in the 200s. We have certainly been recruiting well above most teams in low major conferences. We can point at FGCU all day but they would've won CUSA most years too. FGCU has been winning their first round game in the NCAA tourney more often than not while no one in CUSA has won a tournament game in over a decade. Winning the conference may actually be easier now despite the rest of the conference being significantly better.
Ill flame wrote: June 25th, 2023, 10:25 am I'm pretty sure I accidently voted for yes. We haven't played a single game in CUSA yet so it seems a little early to say he can't recruit at that level yet. We are a top 100 team in NET most years despite being in a conference where almost everyone else is in the 200s. We have certainly been recruiting well above most teams in low major conferences. We can point at FGCU all day but they would've won CUSA most years too. FGCU has been winning their first round game in the NCAA tourney more often than not while no one in CUSA has won a tournament game in over a decade. Winning the conference may actually be easier now despite the rest of the conference being significantly better.
I edited the poll so you can change your vote if you wish to.
Ill flame liked this
By ECC29
Purple Haize wrote: June 25th, 2023, 7:44 am
ECC29 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 7:26 am This is a similar path as LU football. LU hired Coach Gill and brought success in winning multiple Big South titles as an FCS football team. However, when LU football became FBS, Coach Freeze was hired. Coach Freeze was able to recruit better players because of who he is and raised LU football to the next level winning multiple Bowl championships. LU is to the next level in G5 level. It’s time to get a new coach that can recruit better players.
If you’re gonna remove a successful coach for reasons other than scandal, you’d best have someone in mind who is immediately going to make the program better. There is no Hugh Freeze equivalent in WBB, so that comparison isn’t a good one. I’m also a big loyalty guy. Whatever you think of his recruiting or his style, his teams have won consistently over a long long period of time. He’s worked under at least 4 AD’s and none have seen fit to remove him. At this point he has more than earned the right to walk away on his terms.
To say no one like Coach Freeze to replace Coach Green is your opinion. There are absolutely better coaches and recruiter than Green out there. You underestimate the sports world. Green has been successful in lower level conferences. G5 is a different level. This is also a business, LU is trying to raise its sports level to the next level. WBB is no different. LU need to bring a coach that can bring in the better athletes.
By ECC29
Chippy wrote: June 24th, 2023, 9:41 pm The top talent will go to a P5 school. Those are the teams that provide the best competition and the best chance to win a national title year in and year out. Liberty is one of 300 other teams fighting for what's left of the talent once it's been picked clean by the power conferences. Whether it's basketball, baseball softball, soccer, volleyball, while we my have an upset or 2 of a P5 team, we have never had P5 talent to do this to the point where we are a player on the big stage. Top talented Christians have a choice to come here but seldom if ever do (see Oklahoma softball).
Here is my other point. I understand that most top talents go to P5 schools but basketball only has about a 12 player roster. It’s not like football that has about 60 man roster. There are plenty of high talents waiting in the wing to get picked up. It’s a matter of finding them and/or convincing them to come to LU. Just like the recent years in LU football. LU did not think they could attract players like Malik Willis but Coach Freeze did. It takes a different coach to be able to attract high talent players.
I see more emotional thinking than critical thinking here, so there's no point in being repetitive. We'll just have to see what happens and there shouldn't be any surprise if we beat the easy teams as usual but not beat a few in conference teams like the Lady Techers, WKU and MTSU who actually recruits decently. Business is business.
Purple Haize liked this
ECC29 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 1:44 pm
Purple Haize wrote: June 25th, 2023, 7:44 am
To say no one like Coach Freeze to replace Coach Green is your opinion. There are absolutely better coaches and recruiter than Green out there. You underestimate the sports world. Green has been successful in lower level conferences. G5 is a different level. This is also a business, LU is trying to raise its sports level to the next level. WBB is no different. LU need to bring a coach that can bring in the better athletes.
Oh, I’m kinda familiar with the Sports World. Even more than a passing knowledge of WBB. There is no WBB coach out there and available that will move the needle like Freeze did. Not just for FB but for the University as a whole. Are there better coaches out there than Coach Green? Sure. There are also a more worse ones. Which goes back to my point about being sure you have a solid replacement if you are replacing a successful coach.
By ECC29
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 3:45 pm I see more emotional thinking than critical thinking here, so there's no point in being repetitive. We'll just have to see what happens and there shouldn't be any surprise if we beat the easy teams as usual but not beat a few in conference teams like the Lady Techers, WKU and MTSU who actually recruits decently. Business is business.
The critical thinking here is easy. Look into the history of Coach Green. 1) Successful against low level teams. 2) He recruits 1 decent players every 4-5 years. But unable to recruit 3 to 5 at the same time on the floor to compete against top teams. I support LU sport. I have no ties with Coach Green. However, there are people here that have some kind of emotional ties with him. The moment someone gives a critique about him, they spiral down and flips upside down. I am speaking as a former D1 athlete. I know that D1 sports is evolving rapidly. The upcoming young athletes are better than the yesteryears. LU WBB will fall behind the power curve if they do not adjust. This is not the ASUN, this is now G5 level.
thesportscritic liked this
ECC29 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 5:06 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 3:45 pm I see more emotional thinking than critical thinking here, so there's no point in being repetitive. We'll just have to see what happens and there shouldn't be any surprise if we beat the easy teams as usual but not beat a few in conference teams like the Lady Techers, WKU and MTSU who actually recruits decently. Business is business.
The critical thinking here is easy. Look into the history of Coach Green. 1) Successful against low level teams. 2) He recruits 1 decent players every 4-5 years. But unable to recruit 3 to 5 at the same time on the floor to compete against top teams. I support LU sport. I have no ties with Coach Green. However, there are people here that have some kind of emotional ties with him. The moment someone gives a critique about him, they spiral down and flips upside down. I am speaking as a former D1 athlete. I know that D1 sports is evolving rapidly. The upcoming young athletes are better than the yesteryears. LU WBB will fall behind the power curve if they do not adjust. This is not the ASUN, this is now G5 level.
I don't think you realize that my message was not pointing specifically at you. You made a good point; the game has change in many ways especially in recruiting. Many of the 'ol are stuck in their ways and will "buj" if anyone makes a slight suggestion that is not apart of their norm. Trust me, I received similar responses when I started on here and just moved on. To me, why not discuss about this. We don't really have much to talk about during this time of the year. I guess the next topic will be a poll on the first projects suggested from President Costin :lol:
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 7:52 pm
I don't think you realize that my message was not pointing specifically at you. You made a good point; the game has change in many ways especially in recruiting. Sone of the 'ol members in the forum are stuck in their ways and will "buj" if anyone makes a slight suggestion that is not apart of their norm. Trust me, I received similar responses when I started on here and just moved on. Can't teach an old dog new tricks I suppose :D ? To me, why not discuss about it. We don't really have much to talk about during this time of the year anways. I guess the next topic will be a poll on the first projects suggested from President Costin :lol:
By ECC29
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 7:54 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 7:52 pm
I don't think you realize that my message was not pointing specifically at you. You made a good point; the game has change in many ways especially in recruiting. Sone of the 'ol members in the forum are stuck in their ways and will "buj" if anyone makes a slight suggestion that is not apart of their norm. Trust me, I received similar responses when I started on here and just moved on. Can't teach an old dog new tricks I suppose :D ? To me, why not discuss about it. We don't really have much to talk about during this time of the year anways. I guess the next topic will be a poll on the first projects suggested from President Costin :lol:
I got you. I have no problem. Thank you.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Women’s basketball has a roster of 15, not 12. Multiplied across 345 D1 programs, that difference adds up.

And don’t forget: the mission matters most. We don’t need a Baptiat preacher coaching the ladies. But Cosch Green’s testimony is above reproach. And he has ALWAYS put the University's mission at the fore. That necessity narrrows the pool as well.
flamehunter liked this
By ECC29
I agree that a good spiritual leader is very important that is in line with LU’s mission. I have no argument with that. It’s hard to believe that there are no one else out there. Like you said we do not expect a Baptist preacher but a good spiritual leader. Of that 15 man roster; how many scholarships in LU WBB? Probably about 8. I do expect about 3 to 5 very good athlete/players in a starting 5 playing at the same time. I do not expect the entire rosters to be great athletes. That is not realistic. But I would like to see LU have 3 to 5 competing against top level play.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully Sherri is on a beach living it up. She deserves it. But absolutely the testimony LU is looking for.

@ECC29: 15 WBB scholarships. And LU is fully funded in every sport, including WBB. I do not know what NIL looks like in LU WBB.
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be betwee[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]