The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote: July 11th, 2023, 6:39 pm
flameshaw wrote: July 11th, 2023, 2:01 pm No chance it is JM, he has too much class and no reason to post like this.
He didn't mean it was Jeff Myer. Purple Haze just promised to always respond with Jeff Meyer if He who must not be named is
ever mentioned. :)
I’m tearing up with Pride of Authorship with your memory. I had totally forgotten about that. But it was an appropriate response to the tomfoolery of the time
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
You're welcome.... ;)
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Anyone have any more info on some of the freshmen on this years team in particular Brook Moore and Ella Wigal? Just by reading their bio it looks like these 2 are great recruits who could take us to the next level. I am confused by the lack of coverage. They seem like a step up from from what we have been bringing in lately and including some of our better recruits in the past such as the Wilkersons, Katie Feenstra or Megan Frazee. Are these newcomers in that class or not?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Man, what a fun thread to go back and re-hash.

I don’t know anything about the newcomers.

There is no comparison of the Wilkerson’s to Megan.
By ECC29
I guess we will find out this Monday how good the new players are or at least how they play.
By ECC29
From what I saw from the first game. Smuda is no Mya Bergman. She will not be as effective as Mya. Howard needs another year to do something effective for the team. The PG from Spain, Acin needs to lose about 15 lbs if she hopes to compete in D1. She plays real slow. The rest of the freshman players are exactly what they are, freshmen. They played like freshmen. That player Moore will be helpful especially on defense. She is very athletic and she can be the version of Venzant from the men’s team. This maybe a challenging season unless a couple of freshmen players steps up and rise up their game.
By ECC29
I watched the game a second time just so I can assess more honestly. This player Moore will be outstanding for LU. She can do it all especially on defense and rebounding. Moore should start over Bailey. Bailey has been ineffective in all areas.
By ECC29
LU vs NC A&T and vs Gonzaga:
LU’s freshmen players looked lost. LU does not have enough athleticism to play defense at this level. Boone cannot shoot. Jordan Bailey should not be a starter. She cannot play defense. LU does not have a true point guard. PG Acin does not have the athleticism to be a guard at this level. They have a couple of decent athletes but not enough to compete against real teams. I’ve said it before, LU needs a coach that can bring in better athletes. Coach Green did well against lower competition but at this level, he needs to retire.
thesportscritic liked this
By cruzan_flame13
ECC29 wrote: November 24th, 2023, 6:57 pm LU vs NC A&T and vs Gonzaga:
LU’s freshmen players looked lost. LU does not have enough athleticism to play defense at this level. Boone cannot shoot. Jordan Bailey should not be a starter. She cannot play defense. LU does not have a true point guard. PG Acin does not have the athleticism to be a guard at this level. They have a couple of decent athletes but not enough to compete against real teams. I’ve said it before, LU needs a coach that can bring in better athletes. Coach Green did well against lower competition but at this level, he needs to retire.
You want to offend and trigger those who love the guy? It's like you're judging his character to them, rather that examining the obvious. There's no point doing this.
JK37 liked this
By Ill flame
The man wins 20+ games a year. How about we wait until he stops doing that before we call for his head unless 20+ wins isn't good enough.
Cider Jim liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Asun
Bsouth

Not gonna fly in CUSA
*ive heard he’s a great guy. So was Paul wetmore. And Dale Layer
By ECC29
I am NOT in anyway attacking his character. I’m sure he is a great person of character. However, I am pointing out the business aspect of basketball and where LU is heading. As I pointed out before, Gill was good for LU football when they hired him but when LU raised up to FBS, they needed Hugh Freeze to take over. To recruit better players in order to elevate the program. This is no different in women’s basketball. I’m just pointing out the facts.
By cruzan_flame13
ECC29 wrote: November 25th, 2023, 12:03 am I am NOT in anyway attacking his character. I’m sure he is a great person of character. However, I am pointing out the business aspect of basketball and where LU is heading. As I pointed out before, Gill was good for LU football when they hired him but when LU raised up to FBS, they needed Hugh Freeze to take over. To recruit better players in order to elevate the program. This is no different in women’s basketball. I’m just pointing out the facts.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: November 24th, 2023, 10:24 pm The man wins 20+ games a year. How about we wait until he stops doing that before we call for his head unless 20+ wins isn't good enough.
20 wins a year against lesser foes and rarely against solid mid majors to power 5 opponents.
ECC29 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He can retire at anytime. The longer he hangs on the worse it'll be for the program.

Kind of like Coach Pop and the Spurs here in San Antonio.

I'm sure both are nice guys. But you've gotta know when to hang it up.
ECC29 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: November 25th, 2023, 2:02 am He can retire at anytime. The longer he hangs on the worse it'll be for the program.

You are correct, though the analogy the the Spurs isn’t quite one I’d go with. The NBA is a players’ league. A college coach has way more impact on the program than a pro coach has on their organization.

That said, I withhold judgment of HCCG until he gets into conference play. And he has still earned the right to go out on his terms. But something like a .500 record in CUSA may warrant a nudge.
By ECC29
I agree to wait out the season and assess after. But losing to NC A&T that is not even a G5 team is not promising.
By Baybird
They must be decent as they beat WF before playing us. Not saying that ACC is a great P5 team, but if we had a win in Winston-Salem, we would count it as a strong win.
By ECC29
WF is second to the last in ACC. That is not saying much. The name of the game is speed. LU is slow in all areas but a couple of players. They cannot keep up, hence the poor defense the last three games.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 25th, 2023, 7:29 am
thepostman wrote: November 25th, 2023, 2:02 am He can retire at anytime. The longer he hangs on the worse it'll be for the program.

You are correct, though the analogy the the Spurs isn’t quite one I’d go with. The NBA is a players’ league. A college coach has way more impact on the program than a pro coach has on their organization.

That said, I withhold judgment of HCCG until he gets into conference play. And he has still earned the right to go out on his terms. But something like a .500 record in CUSA may warrant a nudge.
The only reason I made that comparison was because at this point both have earned when they hang it up. Plus I've heard the locals say similar things I've been saying about coach Green for fhe last few years.

I recognize it'll ultimately be his call so I've stopped bringing it up myself. But when others bring it up I'll chime in. :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: November 25th, 2023, 10:38 am WF is second to the last in ACC. That is not saying much. The name of the game is speed. LU is slow in all areas but a couple of players. They cannot keep up, hence the poor defense the last three games.
LU under Green has always been slow. They’ve traditionally been tall.
By ECC29
The 2 or 3 players can come back but it will not matter too much because none of those has the speed to keep up in defense. Speed is the name of the game. The freshmen players all looked absolutely lost and could not keep up. Furthermore, LU’s offense is horrendous. Their dribbling skill is low level. No one has the consistent dribble penetration skills. No one can get the ball to the basket.
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]