The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By ECC29
Anyone know anything about the new players coming in this year for the women’s basketball team?
By ECC29
I hope these new players are more athletic than what we currently have
By ECC29
Either Coach Green creates new style of plays or place someone else that can take the program to another level.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The whole point of this thread seemed to be to bash Coach Green and little to do with new players.

That’s … disappointing.
flamehunter liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:54 am The whole point of this thread seemed to be to bash Coach Green and little to do with new players.

That’s … disappointing.
We have a lot of spoiled fans who think winning at this level is easy and coaching is easy. I'm not even sure how Liberty competes in this market anymore. Coach Green puts out a competitive team every year and still gets bashed... pretty disappointing.
flamehunter liked this
By ECC29
Coach Green is a very good coach. However, the lack of quality players he was able to recruit the past few years are not good enough to crack in the top 25. What I’m saying, if LU can find another coach that can draw higher quality players, then that’s what we need. It’s not a question of Coach Green’s coaching ability. It is his ability to influence top players to come to LU. I know this can tough but we need a coach to bring in high quality players. Smaller schools like FGCU were able to rise up and crack in the top 25 in the last 3 years or so. LU has not come close to it. We should be better than FGCU.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 12:56 pm Coach Green is a very good coach. However, the lack of quality players he was able to recruit the past few years are not good enough to crack in the top 25. What I’m saying, if LU can find another coach that can draw higher quality players, then that’s what we need. It’s not a question of Coach Green’s coaching ability. It is his ability to influence top players to come to LU. I know this can tough but we need a coach to bring in high quality players. Smaller schools like FGCU were able to rise up and crack in the top 25 in the last 3 years or so. LU has not come close to it. We should be better than FGCU.
Where is FGCU located?

What is their Religious Affiliation?

Rules?

Please tell me how we are supposed to compete in those areas?
By ECC29
You are making excuses for Coach Green. This is a business that LU is trying to raise to national level.
You said location: Yes FGCU is in Florida but basketball is an indoor sport. It does not need the Florida weather to play. An influential coach should be able to draw a great player basketball player anywhere.
You said Religious Affiliation: places like TCU, Baylor, etc are Christian bases school that can recruit great players. I have witnessed many great players’ interviews giving God the glory for their success. Even though we may not know fully what their faith level but it shows those players are at least have a Christian base in their hearts and mind. How come they are playing for those schools and we can’t get those players to come. There is only about 12 roster spot in a basketball team. A lot of players are looking for a place to play. Not all of the great players ended up in a P5 school. LU should be able to recruit some of them.
There are various reasons some coaches failed to recruit greater players. Here are a couple of examples. My brother and I played D1 sport. My experience was when I first arrive to the school, my head coach was in his 70s and did not have the energy to be more active in recruiting players during the off season. He was not a very active coach. Players like me like a coach that could match my energy. This is one of many examples. My brother was recruited to the University of Maryland and he was invited for a visit and watched the football game. The head coach sat about 3 seats from him and never interacted or said a word to him. The head coach made the assistant coach do all the talking to my brother. He did not like the fact that the head coach did not bother to talk with him. This is another example. There are various reasons. If a coach is getting older as Coach Green is, they tend to slow down and their recruiting is not effective.
By Ill flame
It's an apples and oranges comparison for several reasons but I can remember Nebraska firing Bo Pelini despite him winning 9+ games a year and being ranked nearly every year because they thought they should be doing better. Nebraska hasn't made a bowl game in 7 years despite having more resources and prestige than everyone else in their division. Carey has been averaging 20+ wins a season for 24 years, until he stops doing that there's no point getting rid of him. When he retires I expect the next coach to take that next step but until then the juice isn't worth the squeeze imo.
flamehunter, Baybird liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I've been told that women 🏀 players are making up to 50,000 a year with NIL $$$ at some schools.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 9:22 pm I've been told that women 🏀 players are making up to 50,000 a year with NIL $$$ at some schools.
Imagine if you could do your own research….it would really expand your world
Angel Reese is at $1.6 million

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player ... asketball/
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 9:22 pm I've been told that women 🏀 players are making up to 50,000 a year with NIL $$$ at some schools.
Instead of wasting time with WBB, Ballcoach should be researching how much NIL money college SOFTBALL players are making.

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player ... /softball/
ballcoach15 liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: June 13th, 2023, 1:32 pm You are making excuses for Coach Green. This is a business that LU is trying to raise to national level.
You said location: Yes FGCU is in Florida but basketball is an indoor sport. It does not need the Florida weather to play. An influential coach should be able to draw a great player basketball player anywhere.
You said Religious Affiliation: places like TCU, Baylor, etc are Christian bases school that can recruit great players. I have witnessed many great players’ interviews giving God the glory for their success. Even though we may not know fully what their faith level but it shows those players are at least have a Christian base in their hearts and mind. How come they are playing for those schools and we can’t get those players to come. There is only about 12 roster spot in a basketball team. A lot of players are looking for a place to play. Not all of the great players ended up in a P5 school. LU should be able to recruit some of them.
There are various reasons some coaches failed to recruit greater players. Here are a couple of examples. My brother and I played D1 sport. My experience was when I first arrive to the school, my head coach was in his 70s and did not have the energy to be more active in recruiting players during the off season. He was not a very active coach. Players like me like a coach that could match my energy. This is one of many examples. My brother was recruited to the University of Maryland and he was invited for a visit and watched the football game. The head coach sat about 3 seats from him and never interacted or said a word to him. The head coach made the assistant coach do all the talking to my brother. He did not like the fact that the head coach did not bother to talk with him. This is another example. There are various reasons. If a coach is getting older as Coach Green is, they tend to slow down and their recruiting is not effective.
It's in a Beach town and if you look at the players transferring - they really don't fit the Liberty model... That's how they can do it. We are constantly one of the better teams and I don't think Green or his staff have any problem recruiting talent and are willing to hustle....
By ECC29
I’m not questioning if coach Green and his staff are willfully to recruit great players. I’m questioning if they’re abilities to get the great players. When it’s all said and done, this is a business. You have to convince that person that you are the one they need to go to and do business.
By ECC29
Ill flame wrote: June 13th, 2023, 7:12 pm It's an apples and oranges comparison for several reasons but I can remember Nebraska firing Bo Pelini despite him winning 9+ games a year and being ranked nearly every year because they thought they should be doing better. Nebraska hasn't made a bowl game in 7 years despite having more resources and prestige than everyone else in their division. Carey has been averaging 20+ wins a season for 24 years, until he stops doing that there's no point getting rid of him. When he retires I expect the next coach to take that next step but until then the juice isn't worth the squeeze imo.
You do not know the real reason Bo Pelini was released. He could have violated the school of conduct that Nebraska was not willing to continue with him. However, winning games at places like Nebraska is one thing. Winning games in the Big South and ASUN that are not even one of the Group 5 is not the same as Nebraska. My issue with Coach Green and his staff is they’re lacking of getting good athletes that can get LU to the next level.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
IMHO, we could hire a better coach and get better results. However, Coach Green fits the balance that we should see from all coaches regarding the student/spiritual experience.
If he was 30-40 years old, I would say that we should go find another coach. However, he has earned the right to stay as long as he wants to, as far as I am concerned.
By ECC29
flameshaw wrote: June 14th, 2023, 10:27 pm IMHO, we could hire a better coach and get better results. However, Coach Green fits the balance that we should see from all coaches regarding the student/spiritual experience.
If he was 30-40 years old, I would say that we should go find another coach. However, he has earned the right to stay as long as he wants to, as far as I am concerned.
I do not agree. Coach Green is in his 70s. Most people retire at this age after a long career. I do understand the importance of having a good spiritual leader. It is important. However, maybe it’s time to step down from his position. It is difficult for me to accept that LU cannot find a great coach and a good spiritual leader.
By ECC29
flamehunter wrote: June 15th, 2023, 6:29 am He is 67. But don't let the facts get in the way of your push to get rid of him.
Close enough. He is up there in age. It is still a retirement age. LU needs a coach that can have a different perspective and better recruiting ability.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Maybe Dale Layer is available. He was a pretty good recruiter.
I have a feeling Coach Green will go out on his own terms in the next year or two. He's earned the right to do that IMHO.
flameshaw liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]