The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I tuned in during the 3rd quarter, and FGCU was beating us by 20.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I honestly don't see us or anyone else knocking FGCU off the top rung of the ASUN as long as the coaches remain the same. You would think at some point Smesko would be looking for greener pastures, but it's hard to argue the logic of wanting to at least be in the state of Florida right now. There may be a coach who can elevate us to their level, but I highly doubt it is Carey Green.
thesportscritic liked this
By cruzan_flame13
olldflame wrote: March 14th, 2021, 4:17 pm I honestly don't see us or anyone else knocking FGCU off the top rung of the ASUN as long as the coaches remain the same. You would think at some point Smesko would be looking for greener pastures, but it's hard to argue the logic of wanting to at least be in the state of Florida right now. There may be a coach who can elevate us to their level, but I highly doubt it is Carey Green.
We will continue to be in this predicament as long as Green is coach. We appreciate the growth that he has brought the program but it is definitely time to move on.
thesportscritic liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: March 14th, 2021, 4:23 pm
olldflame wrote: March 14th, 2021, 4:17 pm I honestly don't see us or anyone else knocking FGCU off the top rung of the ASUN as long as the coaches remain the same. You would think at some point Smesko would be looking for greener pastures, but it's hard to argue the logic of wanting to at least be in the state of Florida right now. There may be a coach who can elevate us to their level, but I highly doubt it is Carey Green.
We will continue to be in this predicament as long as Green is coach. We appreciate the growth that he has brought the program but it is definitely time to move on.
I don't think that's totally true. If Smesko were to leave for a high major program, I doubt FGCU could maintain the level they are at now, and I believe we could win ASUN championships with Green.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 14th, 2021, 12:52 pm I’ve heard it’s hard to beat the same team 3 times in a season, so maybe we’ve got some magic in us Play Basketball
How many times did we beat the same team 3 times in the same season in the Big South?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 14th, 2021, 5:20 pm
I don't think that's totally true. If Smesko were to leave for a high major program, I doubt FGCU could maintain the level they are at now, and I believe we could win ASUN championships with Green.
True but that would be more FGCU taking a step back, not really us taking a step forward. We have been pretty steady under Green and I give him credit for that but it would be nice to take a step or two forward instead of hanging out on this plateau.
ATrain, thesportscritic liked this
By cruzan_flame13
olldflame wrote: March 14th, 2021, 5:20 pm
Not sure how that is going to help us in the future. I guess we should wait till Smesko leaves so that we can gain the scraps of being winners in the ASUN later. How long will that be I suppose until we win that bid? In Green oldflame [still] trust?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
You made a statement that "we will continue to be in this predicament (not winning conference championships) as long as Green is our coach." I said that "we will not knock off FGCU unless the coaching situation changes." They are not the same thing. A change could happen at either school that would create a new dynamic. I have never said (as some have) that Green is "untouchable" and should be able to leave on his own terms. On the other hand, it's pretty hard IMHO to show a coach the door who has done what he has done, represented the school with as much class as he has, and taken his team to the conference tournament championship game all 3 years we have been in the league because he "can't beat Smesko". Nobody else in the ASUN can either. Should they all be fired? If I'm Ian, and Green tells me he is thinking about hanging it up, I certainly would not beg him to stay, but I think it's pretty hard to justify taking actions to pressure him in that direction, let alone firing him.
Baybird, ballcoach15 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, no way we ever show him the door. I may be ready for Green to move on but he has earned the right to go out on his own terms.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Smesko’s going nowhere.

Alexis is the internal heir apparent.

I don’t believe it would be an internal hire.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 14th, 2021, 9:20 pm Smesko’s going nowhere.

Alexis is the internal heir apparent.

I don’t believe it would be an internal hire.
I know that you "know stuff" but I'm wondering why you are so sure about Smesko. He clearly likes his situation at FGCU a lot, but I believe he is on record as saying he would consider a move if he believed he could win a national championship. He has already turned down an offer to join Andy Enfield at Southern Cal., which looks like a genius/prophetic decision right about now.

When Green steps down, remember this name.

Mark Campbell

Not predicting he will be the hire, but the name will almost certainly come up.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I know nothing. Just ignore me.

Mark is great. I just wonder if he’s a little entrenched where he is. He has an awfully good situation.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Campbell does have a pretty sweet set-up. Win 30 games a year coaching unentitled non-scholarship athletes in his "day job" with a side gig coaching the top U16 players in the world. 8)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 15th, 2021, 8:31 am Campbell does have a pretty sweet set-up. Win 30 games a year coaching unentitled non-scholarship athletes in his "day job" with a side gig coaching the top U16 players in the world. 8)
Nice work if you can find it. LOL

Personally, I’m not sure LU is big enough in scope and vision to entice him. Total conjecture here. But this may be a case where ASUN membership hinders the attractiveness. That FGCU mountain is a tough one to climb!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]