The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It hasn't been mentioned here, and I just discovered it myself, but Saturday, at home and on Senior day, FGCU lost to N Alabama. This is their first ASUN regular season loss in 42 games.

We finished in a 3 way tie with N Alabama and Jacksonville for second place at 10-5. N Bama swept us, which rules us out for the 2 seed, but they split with J'Ville, which would mean the NET is the tiebreaker there and also between J'Ville and us for the 3 seed. J'Ville's NET ranking is behind both us and N Bama, so N Bama is the 2 seed, with us 3 and J'Ville 4th.

In light of the upset Saturday, we have to say that there is a real possibility that a N Alabama team which is not eligible to go to the NCAA tournament could win the ASUN. If that happens, FGCU goes as the regular season champions. Not sure what the status would be as far as an automatic bid to the NIT is concerned.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Doesn't really matter, we are no threat to anyone. If we get very, very lucky, we will end up a 16th seed as conference champs and get blown out and embarrassed. I would rather that we stay home.
thesportscritic liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 11:45 am Doesn't really matter, we are no threat to anyone. If we get very, very lucky, we will end up a 16th seed as conference champs and get blown out and embarrassed. I would rather that we stay home.
I'm going do disagree about the luck part. It will take more than that to win the ASUN tournament. As a fan, going as a 16 seed and getting blown out doesn't appeal much to me either, but from a coaching and player's perspective, you ALWAYS want to go to the dance. Extra practice to get better for next year and improves the profile of the program.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
One thing I will say about Liberty in the 20+ seasons HCG has been at the helm... when there is a conference autobid on the line, they have been able to deliver, even when we aren't the number 1 seed, and that isn't merely luck.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Not talking about the past. This year it will take more than luck, it will take a miracle of almost biblical proportions.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
With all due respect flameshaw, I'm not sure if you're trolling, havent watched the team , have zero faith in them or are setting basement level expectations to mitigate whatever result we end up with so you can say "see, I told you we can't compete", BUT if we did win the title and autobid, you.would be crying "IT'S A MIRACLE!" so you wouldn't have to handle a rather large serving of crow.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 4:42 pm Not talking about the past. This year it will take more than luck, it will take a miracle of almost biblical proportions.
That really is not consistent with what has happened on the court this year. We are 18-11 overall and 11-5 in conference, have won 6 in a row, and 4 of the 5 ASUN losses were to the 1 and 2 seeds by single digit margins. This is with 2 FR in the starting lineup and only one SR seeing significant PT. Our current win streak seems to correspond with our going to a 4 guard starting lineup, which has reduced our turnovers and enabled us to match up better. Is FGCU still going to be highly favored to win the tournament? No doubt about it, and rightly so, but with N Alabama having proven that the Eagles are not invincible, I would not consider it a "miracle"for us to win it.

Looking ahead, FGCU is graduating 5 Seniors, 4 of them starters. I think there is a good chance the conference will be a lot more competitive next year.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 4:17 pm One thing I will say about Liberty in the 20+ seasons HCG has been at the helm... when there is a conference autobid on the line, they have been able to deliver, even when we aren't the number 1 seed, and that isn't merely luck.
This aint the Big South conference anymore. Most of that success was in the Big South. Teams are much better in the Asun than the BS.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 11:52 pm
BJWilliams wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 4:17 pm One thing I will say about Liberty in the 20+ seasons HCG has been at the helm... when there is a conference autobid on the line, they have been able to deliver, even when we aren't the number 1 seed, and that isn't merely luck.
This aint the Big South conference anymore. Most of that success was in the Big South. Teams are much better in the Asun than the BS.
You are correct in saying that the ASUN was a big step up in competition. I am actually pleasantly surprised with how rapidly we have made the adjustment. 2nd seed last year and made it to the final of the tournament. Tie for 2nd this year and ended up with the 3 seed on a tie-breaker. We are young, and IMHO the future looks promising. FGCU has a great coach, and they have done well "reloading" with transfers for years, but with 5 Seniors departing, that strategy may be facing it's toughest test next year. Time will tell.
By PAFlame
This team is going to be pretty amazing next year. I understand Green is leaving but Bella Smuda is going to end up being a massive upgrade long term. The girl is 6'5 and has legitimate guard skills.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That was a very entertaining game of basketball. I haven't watched a ton of the women's team but they certianly look to have a bright future.
flamehunter liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:08 am That was a very entertaining game of basketball. I haven't watched a ton of the women's team but they certianly look to have a bright future.
I agree. Here's hoping they can keep the players they have and add a few.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: March 8th, 2020, 12:44 pm
thepostman wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:08 am That was a very entertaining game of basketball. I haven't watched a ton of the women's team but they certianly look to have a bright future.
I agree. Here's hoping they can keep the players they have and add a few.
We signed 3 in November. Bella Smuda is a 6'6" post who is probably our best recruit since Katie. A bit skinny, but extremely skilled. Also got a blur of a PG and an athletic swing player.
flamehunter, JK37 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The ladies have squandered a 17 point lead and go to OT against N Bama 78-78. There is definately an enthusiastic home crowd present.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully we will beat FGCU. Be great for both men's and women's team to be in NCAA tournament.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Great game. The 2 starting freshmen (Todd and Clark) had great games along with Lytle and Baker. Will have their work cut on for them at FGCU who are 30-3 and I think have only lost 12 home games in 10 years and have only lost 8 ASUN games in 10 years. We have really come together as a team the last bunch of games and I think have a good shot if they can defend the 3.
By Lion1983
Congrats on the win Liberty...

Go beat FGCU. Dont say it will take a miracle, a second year transitional program went down there and did it, yall can too...

Hopefully we can get a WBI invite, I'm sure the WNIT is out....
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]