The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By tyndal23
Pitch her on the “ mission “ Purple. - never mind. Ok - Ian - please get her top assistant when the time is right...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 12:33 am Pitch her on the “ mission “ Purple. - never mind. Ok - Ian - please get her top assistant when the time is right...
Bill Brock is older than Carey Green, and Mulkey is only a few years younger. Keep your eye on the guy at Union College. He is still in his 40s, and has won over 600 games at a Christian school. Perhaps most impressively, he is currently the HC for the USA basketball girls U16 team.
Purple Haize liked this
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote: January 6th, 2020, 11:33 am
Purple Haize wrote: January 6th, 2020, 9:47 am Greens teams win boring. If that’s what he does. And the key is win
No word on Ria?
She's gone. Last played on 12/3 and no longer on the roster. The only question is why, and does it really matter? She has already used her redshirt year transferring from Indiana to LU. She probably has graduated and can transfer and play next year.

I would say right now a more important question is what is happening with Emily Lytle.
I just wanted to add (as an opinion) that there is not much space for her on the team now and in the future. She was basically the McDowell on the ladies team. The girl are playing decently and will have more depth for next season. They might possibly come back to their old ways of winning again, but their playbook needs to come into modern times and not schemes that worked in the 00's- early 10's. Just a thought.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 14th, 2020, 12:46 am
oldflame wrote: January 6th, 2020, 11:33 am
Purple Haize wrote: January 6th, 2020, 9:47 am Greens teams win boring. If that’s what he does. And the key is win
No word on Ria?
She's gone. Last played on 12/3 and no longer on the roster. The only question is why, and does it really matter? She has already used her redshirt year transferring from Indiana to LU. She probably has graduated and can transfer and play next year.

I would say right now a more important question is what is happening with Emily Lytle.
I just wanted to add (as an opinion) that there is not much space for her on the team now and in the future. She was basically the McDowell on the ladies team. The girl are playing decently and will have more depth for next season. They might possibly come back to their old ways of winning again, but their playbook needs to come into modern times and not schemes that worked in the 00's- early 10's. Just a thought.
I have to disagree with the McDowell comparison. Ria was leading the team in minutes played.
Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 14th, 2020, 12:46 am They might possibly come back to their old ways of winning again, but their playbook needs to come into modern times and not schemes that worked in the 00's- early 10's. Just a thought.
Have to disagree here. Watching them live a couple weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised how both the roster makeup and the offensive schematics have developed since I last took stock of them. Much more Euro influence to both player type and offensive flow and movement. Saw several single-post and open-post looks. Utilizing a lot of ball-screens at various angles and spaces on the floor. Big emphasis on spreading floor.

I would attribute the bulk of this to Alexis, but what do I know?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 14th, 2020, 8:13 am We still need a shooter/scorer
It’s about mindset more than skill. And it’s more rare on women’s side than men’s. Retstaat and Asia I think have the best shot at developing into that. Maybe Baker. But it’s a lot harder to change/develop mindset than to develop skill.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 14th, 2020, 1:55 pm
It’s about mindset more than skill. And it’s more rare on women’s side than men’s. Retstaat and Asia I think have the best shot at developing into that. Maybe Baker. But it’s a lot harder to change/develop mindset than to develop skill.
As shooters or scorers ? Those are usually two different things
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Asia was a big time scorer in HS. I think she has the mind set, but has dialed it back a bit as she adjusts to the college game.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 14th, 2020, 2:04 pm
As shooters or scorers ? Those are usually two different things
Scorer.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m talking about an Alpha. Take control Mindset, with little or no regard for others. In a word, Homesley. And even he has always had the skill, but the mindset has taken longer to develop at the college level.

Just about every MBB team has one, often more than one. They’re harder to find in the women’s game. And that’s not an indictment or soliloquy on gender equality. Just reality. And it’s one of the biggest differentiators in coaching strategy of men’s and women’s teams.
Last edited by JK37 on January 19th, 2020, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Did anyone who watched game last night, notice the antics and behavior of the N. Alabama coaches ?
Early in the game, apparently a player missed her assignment on defense. The coach called time out, and begin screaming at the player and pointing a finger in her face. After she slowed her antics down, the assistant coach started in on the player. Worst sportsmanship and behavior I have witnessed in WBB.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
4 point win over Lipscomb? They were a marginal D1 team last year (but a great PG). Did they improve that much?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach can give you a scouting report. He was there for the whole game. :oldhag
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:41 pm Ballcoach can give you a scouting report. He was there for the whole game. :oldhag
I’d trust his scouting report about as much as I’d trust gas station sushi
thesportscritic liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:29 pm 4 point win over Lipscomb? They were a marginal D1 team last year (but a great PG). Did they improve that much?
I watched some of the game and it's what you would expect from a Carey Green coached team. Poor defense and dribbling around and forcing passes in the paint. Won because Baker took over.
thesportscritic liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I was gonna say that Ashtyn Baker showed a bit of that Alpha dog take over the game type attitude during that decisive run to get back to level in the third. Problem is they don't have someone to do that every game
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Game was closer than it should have been because Green and Baker were in foul trouble.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Only one game to go on, but from what I saw a couple weeks ago Green doesn’t look same as I remember going al lthe way back to HS. Still good, impactful, but a step slower laterally. Could be reason for foul trouble.

Baker should be better defensively. I like her game. She just seems to lose her head emotionally sometimes and takes the wrong angle defensively or drives too deep offensively. Definitely room for improvement between now and conference tourney time. Seems like team is starting to hit its stride. Nice to see!
ballcoach15 liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Playing without Rettstat, Johnson-Graham (injuries), and Gulley (defection?), 3 of top 6 players. . . . and Lytle having a horrendous year shooting the ball.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]