The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 17th, 2020, 10:25 am I mean you are MUCH older than me so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on your observations :lol:
That’s hurtful. True but hurtful. :D
I was also talking about it with a couple of college coaches on the Men’s side and they agreed. When I was telling the current coach at my college the numbers we had at open gyms he was blown away. We had to self police and limit who came in. Now? He can get enough to run one court and the local juco’s can’t get anyone. It’s crazy but just a societal shift.
That’s why you see teams now like UVA and LU (men’s) have success. They teach their system and the game. It’s not flashy and it takes time but it can lead to sustained success if you’re patient. That’s why I’m intrigued to see what Coach Green is doing here.
ballcoach15 liked this
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
I concur with Purple's observation. Being in the same age bracket I've seen the same thing. Growing up if you had an open gym night it was full. Parks were full in the spring/summer. All week long in the spring and summer I knew where I could play that night. The winter, you knew where the open gyms were and the regulars were always there.

Maybe AAU has taken that crowd away to some extent. But I also think it is just a shift in society; as it isn't just basketball. I also agree that these are the environments that you learned "your" game and little nuances. It wasn't just high school kids playing, and the older players were often who you wanted to play with because they were the ones consistently staying on the court in that environment.

Structure is great. But just like soccer, there are things that just develop better in unstructured environments. Some of that is lifting the lid on pressure and not having a coach who can yank you for a mistake. You take your beating, learn your lesson, and look at the sideline knowing you'll be back on the court after the next 11 points.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In today's society, kids don't play much of anything, i.e. basketball, football, baseball or softball on the playgrounds. They're behind a computer, electronic games, or on the cellphone.

I was talking with an old timer the other day. We were recalling when we were in elementary school, we'd get off bus in morning and head straight to baseball field or playground and play baseball until the bell rang to start class.
If 2 kids went outside and played catch before school today, they'd probably get suspended for 3 days.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 17th, 2020, 2:47 pm In today's society, kids don't play much of anything, i.e. basketball, football, baseball or softball on the playgrounds. They're behind a computer, electronic games, or on the cellphone.

I was talking with an old timer the other day. We were recalling when we were in elementary school, we'd get off bus in morning and head straight to baseball field or playground and play baseball until the bell rang to start class.
If 2 kids went outside and played catch before school today, they'd probably get suspended for 3 days.
That's why we were all skinny back then. Be at the playground 4-5 hours a day playing pick up games. Play a couple games early (2 on 2, 3 on 3, half court or full court if there were enough kids) or just shooting while pretending we were in game time situations :). It was these pick up games, whether basketball or baseball, that taught us to handle disputes and differences while being very competitive.
ballcoach15, 4everfsu liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
At the end of the day it will be refreshing to see a different approach and more speed/quickness and ball handling and playmaking ability.

The other big issue with jucos is upsetting the culture. Not to say it always happens by any means but it doesnt always work either.
ballcoach15 liked this
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
During my time of coach high school girls basketball players, my best players were the one who had older brothers playing against their sisters, whether it was at a park or home hoop. What normally happens the older brothershow no mercy playing against his sister. Little sister learns very quickly the game of basketball and when they came to my teams, they had a higher basketball IQ that I could not teach them in a short season. All my MVPs had older brothers.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
and people wonder why I don't like transfer portals.
Reminds me of a high school player who played for 4 different schools in his 4 years of high school basketball. He then went to at least 3 colleges if my memory is correct.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't wonder why. You have made it clear over the years. I just think you're flat out wrong. Scholarships are technically good for one year at a time and a school can choose to not bring an athlete back for basically any reason. I believe that athletes should have the same ability. You disagree. There is nothing to wonder about.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 17th, 2020, 3:43 pm I think scholarships should be good for 4 years.
But they’re not.

And coaches/administrators choose annually to renew or not renew them. So as long as they have the freedom to cut a player loose - not to mention leave as they please - fairness dictates the SA’s should have the same freedom.

Your wishes for ideal are naive. In a perfect world, there would be full scholarships for 4 years, coaches would never change jobs, and SA’s would never transfer. But the world isn’t perfect. I know you know that. What’s so hard to get?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 17th, 2020, 2:34 pm and people wonder why I don't like transfer portals.
Reminds me of a high school player who played for 4 different schools in his 4 years of high school basketball. He then went to at least 3 colleges if my memory is correct.
We neither wonder or at this point care
thesportscritic liked this
By LUOrange
UVA/ACC/hometown. It's hard to fault her.

IMO, if a school decides to not renew a scholarship,, that kid should be able to transfer and play right away. Or if a kid wants to transfer and the school that he's leaving agrees to release him, he shold be able to play right away as well. Kids shouldn't be trapped in situations that they don't like or if they need to transfer for home life or anything. I also don't think that their life/eligibility should be put on hold because of a change in circumstance. That's my ideal college athletics world.
Last edited by LUOrange on June 19th, 2020, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thesportscritic liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I will admit that some transfers are for a good cause, but most are not. If a coach doesn't renew scholarship, then they really have no choice. But if they transfer just for the ____________ of it, they should sit out a year.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Every situation is a little different.

The year-in-residence was introduced not as a punitive measure, but rather to allow someone enrolling in a new school to focus on academics.

Of course, coaches and admins loved it for selfish reasons.
LUOrange liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Losing Asia Todd, Emily Maupin, and Keyen Green is pretty significant given the three of them may have been starting for 20-21 team.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]