The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Another question for ya.

Did anyone else notice how many nike symbols are in just the one picture of Megan and the UVA defender?

I read the Uni Watch Blog http://www.uniwatchblog.com from time to time and the authors of Uni Watch have brought up how NIKE brands all of their gear with the swoosh logo in BOLD so that any player wearing it automatically becomes advertising. The concept isn't anything new... that's good business.... but NIKE takes it to a rediculous level....

If a player wears shoes, kneepads, the uni and plays with a NIKE ball... it begins to get out of control.... Up until now I hadn't paid much attention to it but man.... just look at how much free promo NIKE gets just from this one picture.... crazy. They have more logos than the teams actually playing the game.

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Did you send that picture to Paul? I'm sure he'd like to see it.

Hijack alert:

Our football truck has the Nike swoosh on it three times. The TRUCK. Not jersey, truck.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
The amazing thing Tally is that you didn't even capture them all. I see at least one more in the photo.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I didn't send it to Paul... Are you talking about Paul R.?

Yeah Scar I think the UVA unis are nike and therefore there may be another on the thigh of the uva player. It may just be my eyes but the back of Megan's shoe even looks like little swooshes where the air bubbles are.... that could be my imagination but man... 7-8 logos in one picture? It's crazy.

SJ... the truck having a swoosh tells us how insane it is.

Also guys if you look at most of the new basketball uni's around the NCAA... they have these two triangles coming off of the colar... that's NIKE's design... many football teams (Maryland for instance) have this for their unis too.... it's no longer about teams getting designs for their schools..... it's more like Team NIKE and every school has to buy into NIKE's marketing campaign. Nike is big enough to do unique styles for their college teams. I'd like to see them get away from eating up the game with their logos and 1-style fits all attitude.

They can start with Liberty Women's new design. Our ladies deserve new uniforms every year ESPECIALLY as long as they represent us the way they have for the last decade...
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Obviously, a great win. This team could really work their way into a pretty good seed (11 or 12) if they keep winning. I don't know much about Binghamton or JMU, but I don't see why we shouldn't win other than the fact it's on the road, and we could have a letdown after this game. Then we get Va Tech and George Washington. We could make it through the out of conference season 11-3 or 12-2.

I've said this before and will say it again, Meagan is the best all-around player we have ever had at LU. She is a better all-around player than Katie, yet Katie was more dominant in the paint. Meagan can do it all though, pass, shoot, dribble, run up and down the court, etc.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Tally, I meant Paul Lukas, the guy that writes Uni Watch. I'll send it to him courtesy of FlameFans.com.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Cool... no, I hadn't thought to send it to him... he should get a kick out of it.
By absturgill
Registration Days Posts
Does anybody have a picture of the scoreboad with the final score?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote: I've said this before and will say it again, Meagan is the best all-around player we have ever had at LU. She is a better all-around player than Katie, yet Katie was more dominant in the paint. Meagan can do it all though, pass, shoot, dribble, run up and down the court, etc.
I wondered when the Feenstra comparisons would start. I'm not saying I agree OR disagree - just was curious as to how long it would take.

game 4.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Medic, j/w if you have ever seen meagan in person? After the first game I saw her in person last year, I started to compare her with Katie. She is just an amazing ball player! If you guys haven't seen her play yet, you definitely need to plan to. Fun to watch.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I would think a more natural comparison would be Elene Kisseoleva from the first 4 championship teams. Elena was (I think) 6'2" and played mostly the 3/4 positions.

Either way it's obvious that we've come a long way and Megan is a special player. She'll likely join Katie in the WNBA baring more major injuries.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:Medic, j/w if you have ever seen meagan in person?
Megan. M-e-g-a-n. Megan.

I normally wouldn't nitpick but we've got to be able to correctly spell the name of one of our best players ever.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
M-e-g-a-n. M-e-g-a-n. Sorry. One of my high school girlfriends was M-e-a-g-a-n. So, naturally every "Meagan" to me is spelled "M-e-a-g-a-n". Thanks for correcting me.
By absturgill
Registration Days Posts
For all the close locals, the Maryland tourney Friday and Saturday December 29th and 30th should be a good tourney. College Park, MD is right outside of DC and is only a 4 hour drive from Lynchburg and 3 from the Philadelphia area. And even better, if Liberty beats Marist on Friday, we will likely play Maryland on Saturday night.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Just a note to Sly:
1. Writers don't write the headlines. C'mon, man, you know better than that. :D
2. Actually, in context, the win was a bit surprising. It's been a while since Liberty has gone on the road and beat an ACC club. Add in the early 14-1 deficit, and the headline works.
I just defended my desk. I think my head is going to explode.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm a broadcast guy. We all assume you print boys carry your Selectrics around with you and then pass on word on the telegraph.

And NEVER defend your desk. Its a new man law.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Wrong thread.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
absturgill wrote:Does anybody have a picture of the scoreboad with the final score?
I do...I'll send it to you when I'm not using this ancient piece of junk at my house plus a dial-up connection...eesh
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Didn't see this article posted but if it already has been sorry - from the Daily Progress in Hooville

Cavs flame out
Virginia falls to Liberty for 1st loss of season

By Jay Jenkins / jjenkins@dailyprogress.com | 978-7247
November 21, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Sharnee Zoll, the third time was not the charm.

Trying desperately to rally the Virginia women’s basketball for a win over Liberty, Zoll came up one basket short as her pull-up runner in the lane with 3 seconds remaining rattled off the rim, which eventually sent Liberty into celebration mode.

Liberty, thanks in part to a career-best 37 points from Megan Frazee, escaped John Paul Jones Arena with a 75-71 win and delivered the Cavs their first loss of the season.

Zoll, who led UVa with 20 points, connected on a pair of lay-ups in the final 18 seconds, took an inbounds pass with 9 seconds left and raced down court before bumping into her own teammate, Lyndra Littles, on her way to putting up what could have been the game-tying basket.

“[Zoll] probably would have had a wide open shot,” said UVa coach Debbie Ryan after her team fell to 3-1 on the season. “I haven’t seen it on tape but it looked to me like she had a good lane to the basket and at worst she gets fouled.”

The miscue culminated an evening of frustration for the Cavaliers, most of which stemmed from Frazee’s second-half performance.

After connecting on just 3 of 8 shots from the floor in the opening half, Frazee torched the Cavaliers for 31 second-half points on 11-for-15 shooting.

“I know you probably think that is unconscious; she is good,” said Liberty coach Carey Green, whose team is now 4-0. “She can have games like she did tonight.”

Frazee, who missed half of last season with an ACL injury, shifted the credit the Flames’ offensive game plan.

“I just try to take what the game gives me,” said Frazee, a triplet who is joined on the team by her two sisters. “In the first half, I had a couple of shots that didn’t fall for me and sometimes that can get a little frustrating, but you just try to realize that there are two halves to a game.”

Virginia certainly knows that now. In fact, Virginia led 57-48 with just over 8 minutes remaining when Frazee keyed a 16-3 run that gave the Flames a lead they would not relinquish. The sophomore scored nine of the Flames 14 points during a 4 ½-minute span.

“We were just trying to switch off on everybody and it worked for a period of time in the second half and then [Frazee] just got totally going,” Ryan said. “She was very difficult to stop.”

Siedah Williams, who chipped in 17 points for UVa, said she had been on the receiving end of a shooting performance like Frazee’s only once.

“I think the only time I can remember that happening was a few years ago against Duke when Alana Beard did the same thing,” Williams said. “Once you get in that zone it is kinda hard to get out of it. You have to have somebody step up and try to contain her.”

Virginia didn’t have that defender, but despite Frazee’s career-best outing, the Cavaliers still had a chance to pull off the comeback.

Trailing 68-62 with 1:20 left, Monica Wright hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key while being fouled.

Frazee answered again, knocking down a jumper from the wing with 52 seconds left.

No one scored again until Zoll hit the first of her coast-to-coast lay-ups. She also added a 3-point play before bumping into Littles and sealing the Cavaliers’ fate.

“She was coming down the right side and she just sliced and came down the middle of the court and, unfortunately, Lyndra was kind of in her way, and tried to get out of the way, but Lyndra should have been following her, not next to her,” Ryan said. “Lyndra needed to stay wide and follow her in.”

For the game, Virginia shot 37.7 percent, which is easily its worst shooting performance of the young season.

“Our shots just weren’t falling,” Ryan said. “We got good shots. We were getting lay-ups for the most part. We just weren’t putting them in.”
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Virginia Falls to Liberty, 75-71
Cavaliers Drop First Game at JPJA

Nov. 20, 2006

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Virginia women's basketball suffered its first loss at the John Paul Jones Arena with a 75-71 decision to Liberty on Monday.

The Cavaliers fell to 3-1 on the season, while the Lady Flames improved to 4-0 overall.

UVa opened the game with a 14-1 run, holding the Lady Flames without a bucket for the first seven minutes of action. Liberty barreled back, tying the game at 26-26 with 4:29 to go in the stanza. Virginia held a two-point lead, 34-32, at intermission.

In the second half, the teams kept it close throughout the first 10 minutes. UVa then went on a 9-0 run to go ahead by nine, 57-48 with 9:27 to play. Liberty forged ahead with a 12-2 run to re-take the lead, 60-59 with 5:03 on the clock. Paced by Megan Frazee's 31 second-half points, the Lady Flames went ahead by six, 66-60 with less than two minutes to go. Freshman Monica Wright (Woodbridge, Va.) helped the cause with a three-pointer and subsequent free throw to bring the `Hoos within two, 68-66. Despite missing three straight layups, UVa pulled within one, 72-71 on a layup and free throw by junior Sharneé Zoll (Marlboro, N.J.) with 11 seconds remaining. But Frazee converted two free throws with two seconds on the clock to seal the win for Liberty.

For the second straight game, Zoll paced all UVa players with 20 points. Senior Siedah Williams (Cleveland, Ohio) followed with 17 points, while freshman Paulisha Kellum (Upper Marlboro, Md.) came off the bench for a season-high 10 points.

Frazee finished with a career-high 37 points, the most by an opponent player at JPJA. She also grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds. Her triplet sister Molly was the only other Liberty player in double figures with 11 points.

Overall, Liberty out-rebounded Virginia, 48-36.

Virginia travels to Grand Bahama Island for the 2006 Junkanoo Jam. The Cavaliers take on South Dakota State on Friday, Nov. 24 at 1 p.m. Charlottesville's WINA Radio (1070 AM) will broadcast each UVa game live.

POSTGAME QUOTES

Debbie Ryan, Virginia head coach
How about #40 Megan Frazee:
"She was very tough. We just kept trying to switch off with everybody, and it worked for a period of time during the second half. She just got totally going; she was very difficult to stop...Just a really great player. I really like her. I really like her game."

Sharneé Zoll took over the team and just willed the team:
"Yeah, right back again, and then we made a critical error down the stretch, and we get in her way as she was trying to make her way to the basket at a point in the game where she probably would have had a wide open sho. I haven't seen the tape. It looked to me like she had a good lane to the basket, or she gets fouled."

Did you tell her [Sharneé] which side to go to, because the two times before she had gone to the right and had some success:
" I think she just read it...it was the read...it was a complete read and she was coming down the right side and she just sliced and came right down the middle of the court, and unfortunately Lyndra was kind of in her way and trying to get out of her way. Lyndra should have been behind her...next to her...Lyndra came a little too soon; she needed to stay wide and follow her in."

What changes did you make in the second half:
"We substituted, and the lineup we had in was probably not as cohesive as the starting line. Having Lyndra in foul trouble and Monica in foul trouble did not help either. Lyndra never really got into a rhythm in the whole game, which really hurt us."

Was Monica a little off today, having a slow start:
"She was trying too hard, probably going too fast and just trying too hard. She was just off her game. She hasn't been feeling the greatest for the past 2 days. She's a first year, and sometimes when you aren't feeling great, you aren't on your game. But she's a first year, so she's going to be up and down sometimes. We have to be able to pick up the slack."

Anything they did to disrupt the game:
"No, our shots just weren't falling. We got good shots; we were getting layups for the most part, but we just weren't putting them in. We were hurrying and rushing. I have to see the tape but it looked like we got a lot of shots in the paint. We just weren't making them."

Was this a wake-up call:
"This was a big wake-up. It's very early and we play two extra games this year. This was a good team for us to play. They're physical. They're big, and they play a very deliberate style. We just did not do a good job on Frazee. She had 6 points in the first half and 31 in the second half, which is ridiculous. No player should have 31 points. We probably needed to do more trapping."

With just 10 players now, will Abby and Paulisha have to step up:
"Every game, they are going to have to do that. The only person that just never got into a rhythm was Lyndra. You can't take the floor and have her play like that. We can all pick it up, but it's a little more difficult."

Good turnaround for this team with playing South Dakota State next:
"Yeah, another good team. They beat somebody good, so there's not rest for us. We just have to step up. We've played a great schedule already. Liberty is in the NCAA tournament every single year."

Will it help, being at the tournament last year, to take the girls there this year? Is it a good experience to have back-to-back games:
"It's a really good test for you. You have to play both games. There's not going to be an easy game one day and a hard game the next. It's tough and tough. It was pretty good competition last year. We've got to be able to turn it around."

Senior Siedah Williams
Can you remember another opposing player like Megan Frazee?
"I think the only time that I can remember was a few years ago against Duke with Alana Beard. It's the same thing. Once you are in the zone, it's hard to get out of it. You have to have players step up and try to contain her."

What did you all try defensively in the second half?
"We tried a variety of things, like switching and denying the ball. Nothing seemed to work; she still got her shots off. "

Was Sharneé willing the team to win in the last minute?
"She was. It was her first thought to get the ball to the basket or to draw the foul. The first time she did it she got the 'and-one.' The second time she had a little mishap and she lost the ball. That's the way the game works."

Is that something about Sharnee that takes a little getting used to?
"It's nothing to get used to, and we see it everyday in practice. You just get out of her way when she gets going."

Since you've been around for three or four seasons, do you have to tell the younger players that this is just the first loss of the season?
This is a tough one to take since we've been doing so well. We have to put it behind us and move on. We have the whole season ahead of us. That's going to be our main focus: moving on, getting better, and learning from our mistakes."

Does it help to play a big team?
"It's something we can use to help us get better in the long run"

What will you guys do on the trip to the Bahamas?
"We have to go and play the game before we can have fun."

Sophomore Abby Robertson
Now that the bench is smaller, do you have to take it upon yourself to make a quick impression?
"Everyone just has to be ready to play and step up with the situation we have now. We do our best to go in there and mix it up a little bit. To be physical in my case and take a load off of Siedah."

Freshman Paulisha Kellum
Are you more comfortable now?
"Yeah, I have to get more comfortable because my team is relying on me with the loss of two of our players. They meant a lot to our team. I have to step up and not think about being a freshman. I just have to play my game. There's no age in basketball."

Are you a true combo guard?
"It doesn't matter to me; I can play a one, two, or three. I just like to get in there and help my team out as much as possible, whether it's bringing the ball up or just driving to the basket and drawing the foul."

Carey Green, Liberty Head Coach
On his team's victory:
"This has got to be, from our perspective, one of our greatest wins and we don't want to steel any glory, we want to give God the glory. I've been very blessed with 14 young ladies, and they all returned from last year, and tonight they stood in a very tough area, a very tough environment and fought the entire time and were able to step up and at the end of the game knocked down some free throws and take a victory away. Once again I'm very thankful for the opportunity to coach these young ladies."

On the play of Megan Frazee and her unconscious shooting:
"Megan (Frazee) is a very special player, she's very gifted. Guys, she was down with an ACL, and then she's back out there playing like she is. She's bigger, stronger and she recovered quicker than any athlete I've ever been around, and I've had a few in the WNBA and a few playing pro and she's very gifted. I know you're probably thinking that's 'unconscious,' she is good. She can have games like she did tonight."

Sophomore Megan Frazee
On playing against the Virginia defense:
"The first half they were doing a lot of switching on the screens on the offense we were running, I guess, kind of got a hold of what it was and they were really capitalizing on that and trying to not let people down off the picks, so in the second half we kind of came out with a different game plan and switched up our offense a little bit and so I think they were kind of caught off guard."

On her play in the second half:
"I just try to take what the game gives me. The first half I had a couple of shots that didn't fall for me and sometimes that can get a little frustrating, but you just try to relax and remember they're two half to the game, just come out in the second half, almost like it's a new game."
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:WOrk with me on this one. Who said we the best women's college team in the commonwealth???? Just asking
I'm thinking probably your wife :lol:

you're just smart enough to agree with her, like I do w/ MY wife
Oh when it comes to hoops Mrs Purple and I see pretty much eye to eye, with the ONE GLARING exception. But alas, I believe it was I who said LU had the best Women's hoops team in the state.
One question, which I feel is a desperate concern. Who does this affect my so called HATERAID status??? I mean I went out on a limb with that prediction (Not really since I had seen the teams play already, but work with me on this one) claime superiority for one of our teams and gladly relish it??? Maybe I should move this post to THE CHAPEL for prayer and faith healing???
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Uggh...channel 13 did not even show the UVA/LU score on the 11 o'clock news. But theydid have a segment about Rocco being the Big South FB coach of the year, so I'm not totally depressed. :)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Jim --- There is one word to describe 13's sports department: LAZY.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
They had John and Pat there, they were suppose to have a package for 11....
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
probably working on a stimulating piece about UVa's janitorial service or the parking attendants or something :roll:
LSU

We lose 4-0, pitched good enough to win, but as wa[…]

No team should get a bye. Not fair. Everyone shoul[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Unless Trump is suddenly a NY resident again, I […]

Liberty Campus "protest"

Same trans as has been happening in secondary scho[…]