The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
thepostman wrote:
JK37 wrote:Mike McGuire can flat out COACH. Very good staff as a whole. I’d be a little surprised if he was interested in LU. But if he wins Big South this year, his process there is complete, so he’d be ready for a new one. LU has better $$$, better facilities, more staff, etc.

Radford has not surpassed Liberty as a program. A 1-year regression by LU is what we’re seeing. And it could very well turn into more than an anomaly. But LU was in the NCAA Tournament last year. When did Radford last appear?

ASUN is absolutely a better women’s conference than Big South.
I don't view this as a 1 year regression so I guess that is why it appears to me that Radford has surpassed us
Fair enough. What do you view it as?
My view is we have been trending downward for years now and it has finally caught up to Green. We have all of the resources in the world but that doesn't matter. Currently there are many programs better than ours, including Radford and most of the ASun, because we refuse to move on from a coach who is only around because of his sweet 16 run nearly 20 years ago.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I concur. Our talent has slowly declined over the past few years. I have said for years we need a dynamic shooter, who can be a threat to score 20 points every night. It seems we try to win with rebounding, rather than shooting. To win, you must put ball in basket.
By Jonathan Carone
oldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Here’s a question for you:

If I said you had to bet a significant amount of money one way or the other, would you bet that Carey will win an ASun title at some point or will never win an ASun title?
I don't know if your question was for the board or aimed at someone in particular, but my bet would be no as long as Smesko is at FGCU.
It was for the board. I think it's an interesting thought experiment.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'll address both thought experiments:

1) I'm more of Coach JKs mindset that this is merely a regression given how we were (even in down years) a big fish in a small pond in the Big South. Of the 20 NCAA autobids since he took over prior to the move to the ASUN, Liberty won 15 of them. Of the 20 regular season titles, Liberty again won 15. Liberty lost more than 2 conference games only twice (prior to his arrival Liberty Liberty had 5 seasons with more than 2 conference losses). That said...
2) I doubt HCCG wins an ASUN title. This regression this year could be the proverbial "straw that broke.the camel's back". If I'm IM, I basically sit down with him and give him a chance to "retire" and craft the release accordingly because I wouldn't have the patience to wait through another 2-4 years adjusting to a different conference. I think we need to reboot the women's basketball program much like RMK has rebooted the men's program.
By PAFlame
I truly don’t think they force Green out. They may even let him destroy the program just as he built it. Outside of Baker, does this team have any even borderline Division I quality players that are currently playing and not injured or have transferred?

No reason why with the resources and facilities we have that we should not have a team that can go to the NCAA Tournamenr literally every year (based on the conference we are in). It hasn’t gotten to Dale Layer levels of incompetence, but it will get there if we let this go on for the next few years.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:I truly don’t think they force Green out. They may even let him destroy the program just as he built it. Outside of Baker, does this team have any even borderline Division I quality players that are currently playing and not injured or have transferred?

No reason why with the resources and facilities we have that we should not have a team that can go to the NCAA Tournamenr literally every year (based on the conference we are in). It hasn’t gotten to Dale Layer levels of incompetence, but it will get there if we let this go on for the next few years.
This is the first year in the ASUN. Prior to that he did a pretty good job of getting LU to the Tournament during his tenure
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is no question that if Keyen were on the floor we would be having a better season than what we are experiencing now. I respect what Coach Green has done for the university over the years.

On a side note, I think it shows a bit of disrespect to Coach Reeves when we talk about how Coach Green built this program. He did take it to its apex but the foundation had already been built when he took the reins.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:There is no question that if Keyen were on the floor we would be having a better season than what we are experiencing now. I respect what Coach Green has done for the university over the years.

On a side note, I think it shows a bit of disrespect to Coach Reeves when we talk about how Coach Green built this program. He did take it to its apex but the foundation had already been built when he took the reins.
And his smokin hot Assistant
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Speaking of Assistants, it was good to see Monica Wright today.
Ballcoach has a major CRUSH on this girl. :denied
By cruzan_flame13
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Speaking of Assistants, it was good to see Monica Wright today.
Ballcoach has a major CRUSH on this girl. :denied
He should know that her ex was Kevin Durant. Yes the professional basket ball player :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Believe me, he knows! He's been coached up on that from his number 1 source.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Is the LU job open?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Is the LU job open?
Ahhhhh, the overt rhetorical question.

There clearly are people who think it should be. Some who think it should have been years ago. We discussed possible replacements for both Layer and Gill for years before a change was announced.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:

There clearly are people who think it should be. Some who think it should have been years ago. We discussed possible replacements for both Layer and Gill for years before a change was announced.
Haha. Yeah it was. At least with those two there were threads dedicated to possible replacements and discussions that were specific. Here there just seem to be a lot of vagaries
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:

I still have to break the mindset of being ready to move on from Gill.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Class act. And evidence of what can be done when the ball gets rolling at those levels. But if you think the gap is wide in D1 WBB between the have’s and have not’s, you haven’t seen anything until you see D2 and NAIA. Just saying.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Class act. And evidence of what can be done when the ball gets rolling at those levels. But if you think the gap is wide in D1 WBB between the have’s and have not’s, you haven’t seen anything until you see D2 and NAIA. Just saying.
Amen Hallelujah and pass the offering plate.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:Class act. And evidence of what can be done when the ball gets rolling at those levels. But if you think the gap is wide in D1 WBB between the have’s and have not’s, you haven’t seen anything until you see D2 and NAIA. Just saying.
Amen Hallelujah and pass the offering plate.
it seems like we are playing at a D2 level right now, so...
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Our star point guard from Mississippi hurt her ankle Saturday and is out indefinitely. :medic :stretcher
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]