The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Schilling (Liberty Gym as it was called back when I played) was very nice but it only had a tartan (rubber) floor. If they would have put wood in there like it has now it would have been a perfect gym. Vines is nice but I gotta tell you I agree with WEF about the Winthrop Coliseum. It is a really nice facility due to the upgrades and truthfully if I am being totally honest it may be a better venue than Vines. The overhead scoreboard may be the difference maker but it is more than just that. It holds 6000 but if feels like it could hold more. Plus the top concourse is enclosed unlike the Vines where the top level is open. The Vines is tremendous for Standing room if we ever filled up every seat. I think another 1000 or so could stand around the top. For that matter they could put folding chairs up there like they used to do for the VA state championships. VCU and ODU are way better than both the Vines and Winthrop Coliseum though.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Though I gotta give the Vines Center alot of points for the video screens...those are nice..but I felt too far from the action at the Vines and the restrooms/concessions/concourse all seemed underwhelming...but I'm not trying to put down Vines...it's a nice facility..but I gotta side with my 'home' team on this one...
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
WEF... any pics of your home arena? I've never seen it myself....
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
I can't find too many good pics of it...but here's a couple...I'll try to find better ones later:

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
here's CHRIS' real story- the fishwrap finally updated the page:

http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellit ... th=!sports

LU defense shuts down UNCA women
By Chris Lang
Lynchburg News & Advance
February 8, 2006

Even the made shots were a battle.
Ask former Altavista center Stacy Shepard, who had to work her way through two Liberty defenders to make a second-half layup, a basket she earned with bruising effort.
That’s how good Liberty’s defense has been lately, and the Bulldogs were the latest team to feel the pain.
Liberty held the Bulldogs to five field goals in the second half Tuesday night at Vines Center and won its fourth straight game, topping UNCA 66-50.
UNCA was the eighth straight Liberty foe to fail to break the 40-percent mark from the floor. After Shepard scored to open the second half, the Bulldogs went nearly five minutes without scoring.
Then came a four-minute span without a field goal, and a six-minute drought and another three-minute drought.
The “increase of will” on defense, as Flames coach Carey Green said, helped Liberty turn a close game at halftime into a comfortable victory.
“They knew our plays,” said Shepard, who scored 11 points while playing in front of a dozen or so family and friends. “They double teamed in the post and they got a lot of rebounds.”
Shepard’s old Group A rival, Liberty’s Allyson Fasnacht, provided the offensive punch for the Flames. She finished with a career-high 19 points, hitting 5 of 7 field goals and all three of her 3-point attempts. That didn’t surprise Shepard at all. She got used to seeing Fasnacht light up the scoreboard when she was at Glenvar High School.
Fasnacht got her points because, for the most part, Asheville (12-8, 3-4 Big South) left her unchecked, instead deciding to close out on Liberty wings Courtney Watkins and Roli-Ann Nikagbatse.
The Bulldogs also ran double teams at Liberty’s post players, and superior ball reversal allowed Fasnacht to break clear for shots.
“If people are going to leave me wide open, then it’s my job to knock them down,” Fasnacht said. “We’re taking what the defense gives us.”
UNCA led by as many as five in the first half because, as Green put it, “our skill wasn’t quite as good as their will to win the game.”
“They were outhustling us to the ball,” Green said. “We kept challenging them, but we gave up too many offensive rebounds, especially off of missed free throws. I challenged them in the second half to increase their will and their desire. What came along with that was an even greater intensity on the defensive end.”
Liberty (15-5, 6-1) closed out the first half with a 9-2 run to take the four-point lead into halftime, but the Flames weren’t happy with their defense.
UNCA shot 46.2 percent in the first half. Liberty clamped down and held the Bulldogs to 25 percent shooting (5-for-20) after the break.
Fasnacht sparked Liberty to start the second half, scoring seven points during a 10-2 run that pushed the lead to 41-31, and the defense did the rest.
“That’s been our heart and soul all year, our defense,” Fasnacht said. “Sometimes, it seems like we’re having trouble scoring. When that happens, we’ve got to keep relying on our defense.”
Liberty played without forward Rebecca Lightfoot, who fell ill with the flu just before the game. Green didn’t even want her on the bench, and she won’t travel this weekend to South Carolina unless she’s 100 percent healthy.
The bug has been going around campus, and the last thing Green wants is for a contagious player to sit on a bus for six hours spreading it to all her teammates.
It was a troubling setback for Lightfoot, who missed time earlier this year while battling pneumonia. She was named the Big South freshman of the week Monday.
“I told her teammates to love her,” Green said. “But to love her from a distance right now.”
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
thank you PAmedic for steering this thread in the right direction.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Wow... The rest of us apologize for talking about anything beyond the scope of the title of each thread.... :)

I wonder how many threads we'd have to create if we have to make a new one everytime a conversation naturally drifts.... It'd be an interesting life if that's how people communicated.... only able to speak to the title each time... ;)

Sorry, that was off topic...

How about those Lady Flames? :)
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]