The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The reason the time in which you have followed liberty is important is because it will give you some context in which to form your opinions.

To answer your question. No, I don't think Jerry Jr can separate personal relationships from professional ones. The relationship the Falwell family has formed over the years with Green is much different than the relationship they had with Barber. Of course I could be wrong but i would be completely shocked if Green is ever forced out. History speaks volumes.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
The only thing that is 100% is that Green will coach this year. Two years ago we lost by 36 at home. At that time it was the worst home loss (Vines) and that was with 7 seniors and finished 4th in the BSC. Last year we lost to a mediocre Duke team by 60, at home, and only finished 2nd due to a couple teams being ravaged by injury like Asheville who were playing virtually the entire year without their 3 top scorers yet still beat us in a conference game. One year for sure IMHO.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:The reason the time in which you have followed liberty is important is because it will give you some context in which to form your opinions.

To answer your question. No, I don't think Jerry Jr can separate personal relationships from professional ones. The relationship the Falwell family has formed over the years with Green is much different than the relationship they had with Barber. Of course I could be wrong but i would be completely shocked if Green is ever forced out. History speaks volumes.
Remember in another thread he didn't know the MBB team played Georgetown so he hasn't followed LU for very long at all
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote:The reason the time in which you have followed liberty is important is because it will give you some context in which to form your opinions.

History is also inevitable. One thing for sure is I would like to see the ladies go through the NCAA tournament from this upcoming season onward(I know they've been there mostly in the previous years but I'm hoping they'll make it to the sweet sixteen again). This means with or without Green. Now I'm not saying that he's bad as a coach, but you have to do what's best for the program(from what you're saying, that doesn't really matter as much). I did see that they are recruiting in the Chicago area and from experience, basketball is life in Chi-town. I'll just end by saying I'm glad that Green picked up assistant coach Bath (probably spelled her name incorrectly). She has so much energy that will help out the coaching staff and create a growing bond with the players.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

History is also inevitable. One thing for sure is I would like to see the ladies go through the NCAA tournament from this upcoming season onward(I know they've been there mostly in the previous years but I'm hoping they'll make it to the sweet sixteen again). This means with or without Green. Now I'm not saying that he's bad as a coach, but you have to do what's best for the program(from what you're saying, that doesn't really matter as much). I did see that they are recruiting in the Chicago area and from experience, basketball is life in Chi-town. I'll just end by saying I'm glad that Green picked up assistant coach Bath (probably spelled her name incorrectly). She has so much energy that will help out the coaching staff and create a growing bond with the players.
I.... Study
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I can see a set of circumstances where continued poor results would necessitate a changed, regardless of how close Carey is with JLFJR. i just don't see things getting/staying that bad.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:I can see a set of circumstances where continued poor results would necessitate a changed, regardless of how close Carey is with JLFJR. i just don't see things getting/staying that bad.
IMO, this is an interesting side story as to where LU ends up. Will the BSC continue to welcome LU in all sports but football? If LU moves to Conf USA how competitive would they be? I think any conference moves buys time. Not that it's needed. (There are a couple of other sports that I'm keeping the same eye on)
By R i
Registration Days Posts
JFLJR deserves a ton of credit for not being his dad, in regards to trying to be AD and Chancellor. From my perspective he let Jeff make the calls, and is now letting Ian make the calls.

So oldflame and purple, I do not believe history is relevant in how we hire and fire coaches.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:JFLJR deserves a ton of credit for not being his dad, in regards to trying to be AD and Chancellor. From my perspective he let Jeff make the calls, and is now letting Ian make the calls.

So oldflame and purple, I do not believe history is relevant in how we hire and fire coaches.
You think he was hands off with JB? Ok :wink:
By R i
Registration Days Posts
From my perspective he let LUADJeff do his job with out interfering. Im sure there was some input, but not anything comparable to how Sr. operated.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:From my perspective he let LUADJeff do his job with out interfering. Im sure there was some input, but not anything comparable to how Sr. operated.
Well, that's a very skewed bar IM has shown he's good at his job but also not one to resist 'suggestions' from on high. If JR wants someone to stay or go that person will stay or go despite IM thoughts. I think it's a short list but JR has people on both lists. SR was open to do anything at anytime
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:

Remember in another thread he didn't know the MBB team played Georgetown so he hasn't followed LU for very long at all
What does that have to do with the decision of the future of the ladies basketball program? You just wanted to bring that up just to be spiteful. Any who, people have other things to focus in life so that statement is irrelevant. Clearly from my statements, some folks here cannot imagine Green leaving when he would be gone in a heartbeat of it truly affects the future of the program. As I said before it would be foolish if that JLF Jr would pit his personal relationship in front of a sport program which helps financially and resourcefully for the school (interest on key players and their families who will support and more likely to pay for games, merchandise, etc.)

In addition, I'm not triggered like you love to claim PH.
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
R i wrote:From my perspective he let LUADJeff do his job with out interfering. Im sure there was some input, but not anything comparable to how Sr. operated.
Well, that's a very skewed bar IM has shown he's good at his job but also not one to resist 'suggestions' from on high. If JR wants someone to stay or go that person will stay or go despite IM thoughts. I think it's a short list but JR has people on both lists. SR was open to do anything at anytime
Looking at interviews from JLF Jr. and reports, I believe it will be different with IM. Reason is the difference between JB and IM experiences and resume. IM is a very successful record (not including the allegation) and have a very unlimited when it comes to the growth the athletics department. JB seemed limited and with that being said growth seemed a bit stagnated. I don't think JR will intrude as much because both him and IM are mostly on the sane page. So if the women's basketball program would continue to go downhill ( I hope not), then I believe IM has a reasonable account in which JR would highly consider. If this was JB, then I would've agreed but not with 100% certainty. Any coach is at risk if their program starts to downside. That's to any athletic program, no matter the connection between coaches and the school's president.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Everything you say is based on a huge assumption that Jerry Jr has changed his approach. Everything I base my opinion on is based on track record. Jerry Jr has been great for LU's growth but he also hasn't proven that he is capable to taking a hands off approach to any LU department. I think I have already said it, but I will say it again. I hope I am wrong.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Everything you say is based on a huge assumption that Jerry Jr has changed his approach. Everything I base my opinion on is based on track record. Jerry Jr has been great for LU's growth but he also hasn't proven that he is capable to taking a hands off approach to any LU department. I think I have already said it, but I will say it again. I hope I am wrong.
You're just saying that to be spiteful :D Your long track record has led you to continue to think inside the box. Obviously someone who doesn't have the background with LU that you have is in a much better position to divine LU's actions

And yes. We have a new BJ. In fact, he makes BJ's most odd comments seen normal
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Hey, if he can take his investigations to the bushes and break some news for us he will be ok with me! BJ hasn't been willing to take one for the team in years.
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote:Everything you say is based on a huge assumption that Jerry Jr has changed his approach. Everything I base my opinion on is based on track record. Jerry Jr has been great for LU's growth but he also hasn't proven that he is capable to taking a hands off approach to any LU department. I think I have already said it, but I will say it again. I hope I am wrong.
Track record? Not like that can be your own assumptions right? Not like your biasness was involved in this record. Unless you're actually in the mix of the decision makings and the reason of such, then it's not actual facts. JLF Jr. has a university to run with the other members and directors doing their job. You on the other hand, is just a person who are making this claims with not the responsibility of Jr. You can agree and disagree with the decisions but unless you experience what Jr. is doing, then I wouldn't consider your statements as facts. Also, you vleaeky didn't read my response fully or correctly. I said Jr. looks more open to IM based on his experience and results. So yes I'm sure Jr would be more open to IM if the basketball (or any sports program) go downhill. You think IM didn't come in with options and making changes when it was needed to established what he's helped complete at Baylor? You believe Jr. Wmwould resist that progression just because he's close with a coach. I'm sure Jr. knows full well that finance and growth will not fully mingle with relationship. For now Green looks okay but if this let down continues mostly in the next 3-7 years, then we will see if relationship is more valuable than success of a sports program.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Deep breath man, it is only Wednesday.

LU isn't Baylor.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks

Lastly, I hope I am wrong. Or did you miss that part?
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
You're just saying that to be spiteful :D Your long track record has led you to continue to think inside the box. Obviously someone who doesn't have the background with LU that you have is in a much better position to divine LU's actions

Whatever you say PH. As I said to the postman, you are just a person talking opinions on a forum and not in making decisions for a school. Apparently if someone that does not have the sane mindset as yours is 'odd', clearly that is your opinion. Doesn't matter how long you've been looking at LU, everything is subjected to change. Clearly there has always been a vision and it is being completed, even if you don't like the process of it. I will also add the statement sticks and stones.
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote:Deep breath man, it is only Wednesday.

LU isn't Baylor.

I didn't miss that part, and clearly you miss the part that Jr wants to be better than Baylor. Remember the statement 'Being the Note Dame for Catholics and BYU for Mormons?' If that is the vision, then we have to be as valid as Baylor (who are still accredited as being the biggest Baptist university). Also, teach an old dog new tricks? Really? Does that apply to every president of an university or businessman? Again, that statement is invalid mainly because the actions that Jr. is taking are actually gaining results. Your statement is describing insanity. Noe if there wasn't any positive results, then that would be valid. Will there be issues along the way? Yes. But to not agree with some actions and then make it seem like there's no progress is absolutely ridiculous. (Let me add this part before you send another response about it) You hope you are wrong but do you really believe what you have typed? Really think about it for second, because if you look at your responses, one can beg to differ. With or without your opinion, LU is still growing and you'll always have your pro and con's like many others do.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
thepostman wrote:Deep breath man, it is only Wednesday.

LU isn't Baylor.

I didn't miss that part, and clearly you miss the part that Jr wants to be better than Baylor. Remember the statement 'Being the Note Dame for Catholics and BYU for Mormons?' If that is the vision, then we have to be as valid as Baylor (who are still accredited as being the biggest Baptist university). Also, teach an old dog new tricks? Really? Does that apply to every president of an university or businessman? Again, that statement is invalid mainly because the actions that Jr. is taking are actually gaining results. Your statement is describing insanity. Noe if there wasn't any positive results, then that would be valid. Will there be issues along the way? Yes. But to not agree with some actions and then make it seem like there's no progress is absolutely ridiculous. (Let me add this part before you send another response about it) You hope you are wrong but do you really believe what you have typed? Really think about it for second, because if you look at your responses, one can beg to differ. With or without your opinion, LU is still growing and you'll always have your pro and con's like many others do.
I have heard Jerry Falwell Sr himself state that many times in convo and Jerry Jr has repeated it as well. So yes, I have heard the whole Notre Dame, BYU catch phrase a time or two...

Anyways clearly talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. I understand where you are coming from and appreciate that. Sadly you haven't made even a slightest attempt to see where I am coming from. You and I have different life experience and typically life experience is what shape your opinions. You have yours and I have mine. I respectfully disagree with you. I am not going to get overly emotional about it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Whatever you say PH. As I said to the postman, you are just a person talking opinions on a forum and not in making decisions for a school. Apparently if someone that does not have the sane mindset as yours is 'odd', clearly that is your opinion. Doesn't matter how long you've been looking at LU, everything is subjected to change. Clearly there has always been a vision and it is being completed, even if you don't like the process of it. I will also add the statement sticks and stones.
No. There are people all over the Board who disagree with me. They are just able to put coherent and logical arguments together. 'Anything is possible ' isn't

And I'll add. 'I'm rubber and you're glue'
By cruzan_flame13
I never said that in this in any of my messages today. Also because you state something is logical doesn't mean that it is. Many modern day liberals are a clear example of this. With the statement that anything is possible is logical because it's faith that is a key factor in anyone's vision and mission. So you can say whatever you have to say. In the end one or more will dusaggre and say that I do not understand their perspective. The only difference is I didn't say I wasn't biased and are neutral as some have claimed in their messages. It's a bit childish actually when I'm marked for not accepting an opinion but the individual(s) accusing has basically done what they are stating in accusation. Whatever makes you sleep well at night.

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]