The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Anybody want to take a crack at this one? Roster has a lot of new faces (7 to be exact) especially in light of 5 seniors graduating and at least 4 transferring or just leaving the team - Alexander, Sanders, Leatherwood and Johnson gone as all were starters at some point. Little height and the ones returning are not the most talented group and saw very limited playing time. Hopefully the JUCO and Freshmen can play D1 basketball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Hard to know if some of the returnees have talent or not because they had little to no PT due to the presence of 3 5th year senior bigs

Stovall is a long 6'3", and had a rep as a shot blocker in HS and AAU Reagan is a different kind of big who can step out and shoot it, and Barbour was not healthy last year A lot of question marks

New players will definatly need to play major roles I expect Sellers to make a big impact for sure and likely Makurat, who is listed as a g\f even though she is 6'2", so she obviously has some perimeter skills

This will be a huge test for Carey Green as a coach It's hard to imagine they will be able to have much success playing the same way they have for the last 15 years or so with this roster It will be interesting to see if he can adapt
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Agree! 9 players got all the minutes and they're all gone. We'll have 5 new starters - hopefully this class of freshmen will be better than the last class. There will be a similarity between McKay's team this past year and Green's team this upcoming year except the girls won't have a John Dawson. The returning players from last year averaged 10 points combined with Rettstat @ 3.9 our leading scorer. I'll be on the lookout for the next thread/topic "Is Green on the hotseat"? :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I did not realize the roster turn over was that great.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I expect lots of turnovers. :)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Caleb Homesley isn't the only Liberty Flame to grow a couple of inches since last season: last year's 6'2" Molly Regan is now listed at 6'4".
http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 1&TeamID=7

Also, here is a nice article that Damien wrote about the team in today's morning paper:
http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... 7dde5.html
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Our talent level has been slowly declining the past 2 or 3 seasons. Hopefully we can "run the floor" and not run offense mainly thru the "4" and "5" spot on the floor, like in previous seasons.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
DEspite the persistent issues, the Lady Flames last failed to win at least 20 games in a season was 2006-2007 when they won 19 games...both years they won 18 games in the regular season. the year after the 2006-2007 19 game result, the Lady Flames won 28 games, and back to back wins on the way to a Big South title. Im not saying that I believe they will equal the result of the 2007-2008 lady Flames, but that I am hopeful that in spite of the seeming lack of hope behind this year's squad, that they can rebound this year even with most of the roster comprised of freshmen and sophomores
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Were we picked first in turnovers?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Going to be a long season I am afraid.
1-8 isn't a great start. The key to this season will he to make sure you don't lose the locker room. Some of those close loses will turn into blow outs. If you can keep the locker room, and have talent coming in, you can weather the storm
Of course with a new AD from a school with a Nationally successful WBB this isn't the time
To have an off year
By Dalegarz1
PH wrote: 1-8 isn't a great start. The key to this season will he to make sure you don't lose the locker room. Some of those close loses will turn into blow outs. If you can keep the locker room, and have talent coming in, you can weather the storm
Of course with a new AD from a school with a Nationally successful WBB this isn't the time
To have an off year

Exactly what I've been thinking. It will be interesting to see how the new AD reacts to a dismal season (if that happens). There are an interesting number of factors which could intersect after this season. Baylor has one of the outstanding WBB programs in the country. In spite of many Big South championships, the WBB program plateaued and never was able to reach the next level ( except with KF) which seems to be the objective of the new AD. If the season tanks, does CG have enough equity built to warrant another chance. This might be the litmus test for IM.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:PH wrote: 1-8 isn't a great start. The key to this season will he to make sure you don't lose the locker room. Some of those close loses will turn into blow outs. If you can keep the locker room, and have talent coming in, you can weather the storm
To have an off year

Exactly what I've been thinking. It will be interesting to see how the new AD reacts to a dismal season (if that happens). There are an interesting number of factors which could intersect after this season. Baylor has one of the outstanding WBB programs in the country. In spite of many Big South championships, the WBB program plateaued and never was able to reach the next level ( except with KF) which seems to be the objective of the new AD. If the season tanks, does CG have enough equity built to warrant another chance. This might be the litmus test for IM.
He's got equity built up. But he will use it all this year.
They are 1-8. The Big South is 'better' and some teams will be out for revenge. This could be a sub .500 season
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
The last really good talent this team had was Devon Brown which was 2012-2013. As a frosh she scored 18 pts per game (2009-2010). We haven't had an impact player since then. We built up our W-L record at the expense of the BSC but the conference has caught up to us and some teams have passed us. The one good year we had since then was only because Karly Beuer played her 5th year with us; otherwise we would not have won the BSC that year or had a good a record as we did. UNCA has good talent but a great coach with a very good system. 9 games into the season and no D1 wins and no one averaging double figures and we still average 20+ TOs a game. While we were picked to finish 4th I think a 5th or 6th is more likely with us getting 6 BSC wins. It's hard to see this team winning 10 games this year.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I know Jr had a lot more input with barber as ad but i believe he's going to let McCaw run the show. I firmly believe under him, Green is not a untouchable and same with just about all the coaches, minus Tolsma.

As chippy pointed out, he took advantage of a water down BSC. With Devon and a WNBA player in Worley he still couldn't do nothing outside the BSC. This years team has about 5 or 6 players that can play d1 basketball. You wouldn't see that at a program like JMU. Should be reload not a total rebuilt.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Devon Brown was the most over rated player at LU in 20 years. Her next defensive stop will be her first. She had stats but made no one else better and didn't move with out the ball.
Avery was maybe the most UNDERRATED.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Where do u start. We stink in all the major sports. Literally as bad now as weve ever been across the board.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Devon Brown was the most over rated player at LU in 20 years. Her next defensive stop will be her first. She had stats but made no one else better and didn't move with out the ball.
Avery was maybe the most UNDERRATED.
Avery really developed in her 5 years at LU for sure. What a great young lady! Devon was all offense but to say she personally didn't stop anyone is a little hyperbole given LU played a soft 2-3 zone for the 4 years she was there. I remember her block at the end of the GW game in the BSC championship game that won the 1 point victory - so there, that's one stop 8) Coach Green is not known for being a defensive wizard - his emphasis is rebounding both offensively and defensively. This year's man to man defense is fairly porous and is not creating any TOs.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I have to say that Keyen Green really is trying to be the offensive star for us so far. As I said in the men's hoops section jinxy, if you want to jump then that is all you. I don't doubt that we are not a good team this year, but that is no reason to not support them.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]